Reserve Fund - thousands spent behind our backs - what can we do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd actually be most concerned about the reserves adjustment. I think the rest is the result of years of incompetent management, and then a new accountant trying to bring the accounts back into shape. The freeholder should be most worried all the expenditure over 18 months ago, which has not previously been reported to the leaseholder, and therefore may not have been chargeable to them, even though they benefited from it.

Comment

The "reserve fund" is unspent money collected from the service charges paid by leaseholders ( and this money is set aside for future maintenance of the building )
      There should not be any "bad debts" charged to the "reserve fund".

Comment

The reserve fund, from an accounting point of view, is not money in the bank. It includes debts.

When a service charge demand is issued, the reserve fund goes up as does accounts receivable.

When a leaseholder pays their service charge, there is no change in the reserve fund value, but accounts receivable goes down and cash in the bank goes up.

When it becomes apparent that the service charge will never be paid, the accountant must reflect that the organisation is in a worse position than it would have been if the debts was recoverable, and they do that by reducing the reserves. I can't remember whether the balancing transaction is to reduce accounts receivable, or whether it is to increase a bad debts account.

You keep confusing the cash and bank figure, with the more technical concept of a reserve fund that the accountant is using. TECH 03/11 says accruals accounting should be used unless the lease forces otherwise, and this meaning of reserves is the result of using accruals accounting, rather than the cash accounting that small unincorporated business are allowed to use.

Comment

Assuming accounts were served - not clear here? - you'd expect to see the written off debtors amount under assets on the balance sheet for the year end before the period in which the reserves were reduced. or at least see that a similar sum was included in that total. If the debtors in that year were less it wouldn't make sense.

If no accounts served, if a lessee requests a summary of costs in accordance with s21, LTA 1985, the landlord must provide the summary within one month of the request or within six months of the end of the accounting period in question, whichever is the later.

ICAEW TECH 03/11 is a must read for lessees interested in how they should be informed about service charges. Find a free pdf to download by Googling the name.

Check if the lease allows deficits on the income and expenditure account to be funded from a contingency fund or reserve. Usually, any net deficit or surplus is treated as an amount owed by or to lessees and must either be excess/balance charged if deficit or be credited against future service charges if surplus.

A deficit should appear on the balance sheet as under assets as recoverable extra income, which should then be invoiced within a few weeks of the accounts being served.

A surplus should appear on the balance sheet under liabilities (due refunding) which should then be credited within a few weeks of the accounts being served.
          Do not read my offerings, based purely on my research or experience as a lessee, as legal advice. If you need legal advice please see a solicitor.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
            The "reserve fund" is unspent money collected from the service charges paid by leaseholders ( and this money is set aside for future maintenance of the building )
            There should not be any "bad debts" charged to the "reserve fund".
            Yes my thoughts too..I think the Service Charge fund and the reserve fund are separate entities, every LH will have to pay a service charge and funds may or may not be payable in advance and therefore build up as a fund, but not every lease allows a reserve fund and if it does it is built up to cover unforeseen large maintenance projects, IMO it cant be dipped into to recover debts or previous mistakes.

Id certainly want to know what the bad debts and accounting mistakes are.

Id assume S21 & S22 could be used to demand inspection of the Reserve fund accounts in the same way as standard Service Charge accounts.

https://www.lease-advice.org/faq/how...eing-used-for/

https://www.bradysolicitors.com/brad...d-expert-view/
            Holding funds in trust

The recent case of Caribax v Hinde House Management Company [2015] UKUT 0234 (LC) reminds landlords of the importance of complying with S.42 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987 to hold reserve and sinking funds in trust. The reserve/sinking funds should be held in a separate bank account to the service charge monies.
            Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

The OP is out of time on S21 and S22, unfortunately.

I don't think the two funds are considered different from the point of view of those sections.

The issue of bad debts still comes down to the confusion between the bank account and the reserve account on the balance sheet.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Removing Stud Wall in Leasehold Flat
                by Section20z
                Yes, your freeholder will likely charge a fee for examing existing and proposed plans, possibly visiting the site and granting approval. Clearly it adds some value to the flat., if only to you.
                Yes, I expect you need listed building consent.

That being said you have also shown that...
                08-04-2020, 21:25 PM
              • Removing Stud Wall in Leasehold Flat
                by Sharon
                Hello, I would like to remove a non-load-bearing stud wall in my flat. It will change the layout inasmuch as I will be stealing some of the space from my entrance hall and creating a larger living room as a result. So no real increase in value of the property as a result, just a matter of taste....
                08-04-2020, 15:46 PM
                by Stacker
                So do all the fact finding first so that you are well informed and know what you are up against, also try to get the Conservation officer on board on your side with your idea if you want to go ahead as he or she will be the person to say yes or no. The freeholder can not unreasonably refuse you the...
                08-04-2020, 18:17 PM
                by Sharon
                Thank you very much for responding!

Well, I had 'assumed' that it couldn't possibly be a load-bearing wall, as it is a hollow stud wall, with a panel of glass windows at the top (which was clearly created to bring as much light as possible into the entrance hall), and I know this wall didn't...
                08-04-2020, 18:00 PM
              • Reply to Notice fee
                by Lawcruncher
                I had assumed it was formal. Anyway, my point is that you are disgruntled because someone refuses to pay you money they do not owe you. I would hazard a guess that you do not go round paying money to people who think they are entitled to it but are not....
                08-04-2020, 17:55 PM
              • Notice fee
                by Paulsen
                I am remortgaging my flat and the solicitor has sent a letter to the freeholder asking for a notice fee. I have done it directly to the freeholder and not the MA as we both are in dispute with the old MA and are doing a joint complaint. She probably wouldn’t know how much to ask for and I asked my...
                04-04-2020, 15:14 PM
              • Reply to Notice fee
                by Lawcruncher
                As you say, requiring a notice of a change of tenant is pretty standard and has been for years. Obviously a landlord needs to know if the tenant has changed. However, the requirement to serve notice on the landlord's solicitor and pay a fee (until fairly recently the standard requirement) rather than...
                08-04-2020, 17:47 PM
                by Stacker
                Hi, Firstly how do you know its not a load bearing wall? Has a surveyor or structural engineer confirmed this in writing to you ? A listed property change may need consent from the council Conservation officer? You could put a tentative call in to the officer and email him some ideas then if he gives...
                08-04-2020, 17:43 PM
              • Reply to Lessor who is also the leaseholders is not complying with LEASE
                by Stacker
                I also found these links which seem helpful - Tribunal Procedure Property Rules http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made
                08-04-2020, 17:35 PM
              • Lessor who is also the leaseholders is not complying with LEASE
                by Stacker
                Hello, hope you are all doing ok with this self isolating So this is a tricky one both the Lessor who are also the leaseholders are in breach of their own leases, how to enforce? As normally it would be the freeholder enforcing however the leaseholder needs to enforce against the company and other ...
                07-04-2020, 09:28 AM
              Working...
              X