MC charging fees for dealing with matters with flat, which pre-date my purchase.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MC charging fees for dealing with matters with flat, which pre-date my purchase.

Hi all,
    I did look through the forums but couldn't find the particular issue addressed. Can anyone advise please? I have bullet-pointed to make it easier to understand.

- I bought the flat at auction in 2017.
    - Never met the tenant or spoken with her - agents have continued to manage for last owner and myself. Same tenant throughout (not sure how far back before me)
    - MC contact me to say they've received large utility bill addressed to them which should've been assigned to tenant, and they forwarded to me to sort.
    - I contacted utility provider and gave them a copy of the previous AST from my legal pack which takes the tenants liability as far back as I have evidence for - Sep 16 (I bought in May 2017).
    - MC still have a period of several months before this date where the bill is assigned to them. Since I can not evidence to the utitlity company that my tenant was in there at this time there is nothing more I can do to have it put in T's name.
    - MC speak with utility comp and resolve (unknown how, or whether they received evidence from previous owner)
    - (for dealing with this matter) MC have now levied a charge for Accountants fees, MC charge, and have asked for the next year's service charge in full within 21 days from 25th December. .Has been paid monthly/ quarterly until now.

So my questions are:
    1. Am I still be liable for these issues that pre-date my ownership, especially since there is no way for me to evidence to utility company that T was indeed there at that time.(i wonder if the auction purchase may make this so)
    2. Can they just demand the whole year upfront within the 21 days?
    3. Is there any particular procedure they have to follow when making request for service charges?

Thanks in advance,

1) You are liable unless you contracted otherwise with the seller.

2) Depends on the wording of the lease. Maybe the quarterly payments were a dispensation to someone with cash flow problems (likely given an auction sale). Maybe it was a concession, outside the terms of the lease, that had been applied to all leaseholders, but has been withdrawn. Paying a whole year's payment on account in one go is not uncommon, and paying the whole balancing payment at the end of the year is probably standard, although people will generally aim to avoid a balancing payment., by setting the payment on account high enough.

3) Include the name and address of the landlord in the demand, and serve it an a way permitted by the lease. Include a copy of the statutory service charges summary of rights notice in at least 10 point type. Anything else will be as detailed in the lease.

Did you carefully read the lease before buying?

Comment

Hi. So you bought a lease at auction with a sitting subtenant? That's new to me. Subletting is based on what leases permit so presumably you had prior consent passed down? Something seems akimbo. Might just be me.

Is 'MC' over the subtenant also the MC acting for the head lessor/lessor/landlord in collecting service charges etc? Or is 'agent' not the MC?

MC (if not agent) and your relationship is as lessee, right?

Are utilities to a demised flat part of the service charge in the lease? Not common for lessor landlords to pay demised costs.

If demised utilities not part of the service charge items listed in the lease, my instinct is you can tell the MC to take a hike. They chose to take on demised utilities costs by the sound of it.

Unpaid service charges can carry over if no retention sorted out on sale of lease.

MC for lessor/landlord can only charge service charges per the wording of the lease. MCs ignore leases for their own convenience.
      Do not read my offerings, based purely on my research or experience as a lessee, as legal advice. If you need legal advice please see a solicitor.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to AGM cancelled.
        by eagle2
        Any meeting which you decide to hold will be an informal meeting only, you do need to follow the correct procedure if you wish to hold a valid meeting,

The Articles should state whether or not directors need to declare conflicts of interest and whether or not they are entitled to vote on...
        26-01-2022, 13:30 PM
      • AGM cancelled.
        by Grumio
        Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
        26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
        by Grumio
        It is both a managing agent and a residence Association. But we want to go back to managing the block ourselves.

Thanks for the reply, yes invitations have been sent to all our members. And I agree, they should not cancel the AGM, especially when they haven’t got a plausible reason to...
        26-01-2022, 12:12 PM
      • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
        by sgclacy
        Doubling every 25 years is simply a guess as to what inflation may be, if inflation of the current levels ( about 6% ) was to continue the real value of the rent would fall by 77% and doubling would not address the enormous damage done by inflation. However, if inflation was less than 2.81% per annum...
        26-01-2022, 11:57 AM
      • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
        by Section20z
        You are clearly using the informal route and can thus negotiate whatever terms you like.
        freeholder will want to retain some ground rent but avoid the doubling clause, maybe suggest small fixed rises every ten years....
        26-01-2022, 10:40 AM
      • Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
        by Santa Fe
        Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
        24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
      • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
        by Section20z
        Quite, there is also the question here of who the actual freeholder is and whether the whole thing is any concern of the OP who only ever need pay 25% !!...
        26-01-2022, 10:25 AM
        by eagle2
        Yes, I am confused too. If there is a Residents Association, it is required to comply with its constitution.

There seems to be a Company involved as well. Whether or not it is required to hold an AGM depends on its Articles, AGMs can be cancelled for various reasons, lockdowns are an example,...
        26-01-2022, 10:19 AM
      • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
        by eagle2
        I think that we have found 3 possible alternatives already and no doubt we could find more, As Section20z says it is very rare for a court or a tribunal to intervene, The lease appears to allow the freeholder (?) to decide what is fair and reasonable and it has decided that an equal share is reasonable,...
        26-01-2022, 10:01 AM
        by fos333
        Is this a Residence Association or Residents Management Company?

Had invitations to the AGM been sent out to all members? If invitations had been issued then no the AGM should not have been cancelled.

If the 2 directors are "good friends of the managing agent" they...
        26-01-2022, 10:00 AM
      Working...
      X