Fixed service charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed service charges

I have some long leases with fixed service charge. The impact of these leases limits my ability to recover all the management costs on the building. I am considering lease variation will this work? What options do I really have to overcome the financial risk?

From a legal point of view, they are not service charges if they are fixed! Being variable is an essential part of the definition of service charge in the Landlord and Tenant legislation.

If the leases fail to provide for all costs to be recovered, they are legally defective and the FTT can rule in favour of a change in the lease at the request of just one party.

There is a grey area if the lease could possibly be interpreted as requiring the freeholder to pay the shortfall.

Comment

Thanks for your comments, it looks like an application to FTT then.

Comment

We'd need to see more of the exact lease wording..ground rent is often fixed and it maybe a very low amount (if for example the lease was made in 1800), but in that case..its tough..it was upto the FH to read the lease before purchase, Im not sure how it would work in your case, as mentioned, it maybe that its simply not deemed t be a "service charge"..its not clear if a FTT would allow a variation, leases can of course be varied with consent between the parties.
        Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

In a situation where the administration charge is fixed by the lease which makes it difficult to recover all the actual management cost, what options do i have to cushion or reduce the financial impact or risk?

Comment

Administration charges don't pay for things like upkeep of the property. Did you really mean administration charges. If specific administration charges are specified, and they don't cover costs, that is your hard luck.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
              From a legal point of view, they are not service charges if they are fixed!
              That would depend on the exact wording within the lease.
              If there is anything at all in the lease that could indicate that there was an intention to link the payments to the cost of services, and allow some possibility of varying the amount, it could potentially be a considered to be a service charge.

If the payments really are fixed it is likely to not be considered a service charge payment, but a tribunal might still find that the leases don't adequately allow for the recovery of costs and allow them to be altered - it depends what the lease says the fixed payments are for.

Comment

Could these definitions be relevant here?

Fixed Service Charge: Those where the landlord fixes the charge according to the landlord’s own estimates and costs. The Landlord bears responsibility for any deficit between the cost of services and the amount of money collected in charges. Similarly, the Landlord is entitled to retain any surplus that accrues if the Landlord collects charges in excess of the cost of providing the services.

Variable Service Charges: Those that can be changed, increased or decreased, in accordance with the provisions of the tenancy agreement or licence. The main effect of variable service charges is that it allows surpluses and deficits to carry forward to the next accounting year.

This is from the Peabody Service Charges Policy.

Comment

Those sound good definitions to me. Only the variable ones are covered by the statute on service charges, as service charges are specifically defined as charges that vary with costs.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• RTM director service charge arrears
                    by ARG
                    Hello, I am new here so please excuse me if this question has already been asked, but a search has drawn a blank.

I am a director of an RTM of a property with 25 flats. I would be very grateful if anyone here can advise whether a resident who is more than six months in arrears with his...
                    17-05-2022, 15:38 PM
                  • Reply to RTM director service charge arrears
                    by fos333
                    This is the important question, what are the reasons for non payment?

Have demands been correctly served including the correct summaries of rights and obligations?

Are the landlord obligations under the lease being carried out?

Have service charge end of year accounts...
                    17-05-2022, 21:48 PM
                  • Neighbour Dispute over Bins
                    by Tony-Edwards
                    Hello

I could do with some guidance if anyone has any knowledge on this.

I have a 100 year old flat that was split from a larger building in 2000 and has a 999 year lease, it is next door to a commercial premises.

The only way to get to my flat is across their...
                    17-05-2022, 14:40 PM
                  • Reply to Neighbour Dispute over Bins
                    by vmart
                    Is there a restrictive covenant in the title of the commercial-property owner (CPO) giving you and the other lessee a right of way over the land?

Is the CPO a freeholder or leaseholder of the land?

With regard to the point related to '20 years' you are referring to adverse...
                    17-05-2022, 21:06 PM
                  • Reply to RTM director service charge arrears
                    by vmart
                    The RTM can make a money claim online but as this enquiry concerns service charges the lessee will have the right to have the service charges determined unless already agreed. Depending upon the lessee's response to the claim, the County Court may refer the claim to the FTT.

What are the...
                    17-05-2022, 20:54 PM
                  • Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
                    by Ldawg
                    The flat I rent out has suffered from recurrent leaks from upstairs since I purchased it, 4 leaks in 4 years. It's caused me to lose one tenant already. I feel like there is no incentive for the owner upstairs to sort the problem (check the plumbing etc) as the cost is always covered by insurance and...
                    24-01-2022, 19:48 PM
                  • Reply to Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
                    by Ldawg
                    Thanks for your response.

All costs are being covered by the management company. So currently I'm not actually losing out so I'm not really sure what I'm claiming for! More just the stress of it all. And the potential loss of earning and making unrentable/saleable as you say. Yes the floor...
                    17-05-2022, 20:22 PM
                  • Lease Extension - Relativity
                    by comm1985
                    Hoping to get some clarification,

If a flat (Outside Greater London) with 60 years left is sold for £110,000 and comparable properties with longer leases attain £160,000

What is the relativity in this case?

Would it be £110000 less 5.5% (to estimate for no act...
                    17-05-2022, 15:12 PM
                  • Reply to Lease Extension - Relativity
                    by comm1985
                    I for one would appreciate a more stable approach in deriving the premium...

In this instance what would

1. The sensible premium be?

A)£32000 (based on the value the actual short lease was just sold for i.e Relativity 65%)
                    or
                    B)£20,000 (based on graph...
                    17-05-2022, 20:19 PM
                  • Reply to Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
                    by Hudson01
                    Are the management company paying for all the damage via the blocks buildings insurance or is this down to you ? Given how long it has gone on i think you will need to take individual legal action against the landlord of the flat above, what else is there is they have no incentive to fix anything. ...
                    17-05-2022, 20:08 PM
                  Working...
                  X