Fixed service charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed service charges

I have some long leases with fixed service charge. The impact of these leases limits my ability to recover all the management costs on the building. I am considering lease variation will this work? What options do I really have to overcome the financial risk?

From a legal point of view, they are not service charges if they are fixed! Being variable is an essential part of the definition of service charge in the Landlord and Tenant legislation.

If the leases fail to provide for all costs to be recovered, they are legally defective and the FTT can rule in favour of a change in the lease at the request of just one party.

There is a grey area if the lease could possibly be interpreted as requiring the freeholder to pay the shortfall.

Comment

Thanks for your comments, it looks like an application to FTT then.

Comment

We'd need to see more of the exact lease wording..ground rent is often fixed and it maybe a very low amount (if for example the lease was made in 1800), but in that case..its tough..it was upto the FH to read the lease before purchase, Im not sure how it would work in your case, as mentioned, it maybe that its simply not deemed t be a "service charge"..its not clear if a FTT would allow a variation, leases can of course be varied with consent between the parties.
        Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

In a situation where the administration charge is fixed by the lease which makes it difficult to recover all the actual management cost, what options do i have to cushion or reduce the financial impact or risk?

Comment

Administration charges don't pay for things like upkeep of the property. Did you really mean administration charges. If specific administration charges are specified, and they don't cover costs, that is your hard luck.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
              From a legal point of view, they are not service charges if they are fixed!
              That would depend on the exact wording within the lease.
              If there is anything at all in the lease that could indicate that there was an intention to link the payments to the cost of services, and allow some possibility of varying the amount, it could potentially be a considered to be a service charge.

If the payments really are fixed it is likely to not be considered a service charge payment, but a tribunal might still find that the leases don't adequately allow for the recovery of costs and allow them to be altered - it depends what the lease says the fixed payments are for.

Comment

Could these definitions be relevant here?

Fixed Service Charge: Those where the landlord fixes the charge according to the landlord’s own estimates and costs. The Landlord bears responsibility for any deficit between the cost of services and the amount of money collected in charges. Similarly, the Landlord is entitled to retain any surplus that accrues if the Landlord collects charges in excess of the cost of providing the services.

Variable Service Charges: Those that can be changed, increased or decreased, in accordance with the provisions of the tenancy agreement or licence. The main effect of variable service charges is that it allows surpluses and deficits to carry forward to the next accounting year.

This is from the Peabody Service Charges Policy.

Comment

Those sound good definitions to me. Only the variable ones are covered by the statute on service charges, as service charges are specifically defined as charges that vary with costs.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to on -going leaks
                    by finest1
                    Thank you for your response. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear but the freeholder has already sent a surveyor and they are satisfied that the leak has been caused from upstairs.

It's the leaseholder who wants to send their own surveyor or architect, and has refused to allow their insurance...
                    18-05-2022, 19:52 PM
                  • on -going leaks
                    by finest1
                    Hi All,

The flat upstair has been leaking for some years. The ceiling soon partially collapsed stopping me fro m letting the flat. The leaseholder upstairs kept claiming that the leak was not coming from her flat despite sending them photos of her wet subfloor. I sent a letter claiming...
                    18-05-2022, 17:09 PM
                  • Levy
                    by scot22
                    What details must be given in an invoice for a levy ?
                    18-05-2022, 17:43 PM
                  • Reply to Levy
                    by scot22
                    Thanks for reply but doesn't really matter. Issue is what must leaseholders be told about reason and how it is being spent.
                    18-05-2022, 19:45 PM
                  • Reply to Levy
                    by Tipper
                    Can you expand...levy for what?
                    18-05-2022, 19:12 PM
                  • Reply to on -going leaks
                    by JackBluebird
                    On one hand people may argue, the freeholder has rights to access and assess the property in accordance with the lease whenever it is reasonable or essential to do so. However if you initiate the disrepair protocol you will have much more leverage, but it is not for bluffing...

18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
                  • Insurance
                    by jazzythumper
                    When the freehold of our building was sold, the old freeholder cancelled the buildings insurance which we had paid for in advance through our service charge.

A new policy was taken out by the new freeholder. A refund for the previous policy has been given to the previous freeholder but...
                    03-04-2022, 20:24 PM
                  • Reply to Insurance
                    by jazzythumper
                    I’ve managed to get the refund from the previous insurers, which is good, over £1,000 that we wouldn’t have had otherwise in our funds.
                    18-05-2022, 15:51 PM
                  • Breaches of Model Articles
                    by Starlane
                    ram Our articles require a quorum for board and for shareholder meetings. It has come to light after the event that a director has called a meeting on their own and appointed another director, the meeting was inquorate and no members were made aware that this was going on, additionally no meeting has...
                    06-05-2022, 16:02 PM
                  • Reply to Breaches of Model Articles
                    by Starlane
                    The Articles require a quorum for the board and shareholders, one of the directors sold their flat...I was not aware and find out months later that the director has been acting on their own then a new shareholder came onboard and again did not know that he had been appointed a director.They wont call...
                    18-05-2022, 15:38 PM
                  Working...
                  X