Agent charging 40%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent charging 40%

I bought a freehold flat in a block of four. So far so good. I have received the following from a local firm of Estate & Letting Agents. (Service charge) there is no service.They list the following bearing in mind the flats are well built, local builder, in good state of repair and no work has been done on them in the past year except cutting of two small patches of grass in summer.
    Building insurance £650. Building repairs (completely unspecified) £108 Gardening £230. miscellaneous (totally unspecified) £100 Agents fee £432. My contribution to be £380. I calculate that they have added £208 completely unaccounted for and then given themselves a charge of 40%. Of £432.

I have not signed anything giving them the right to charge 40% and have forced them to meet me next Wednesday as I want details of what, why and when. I will be saying I refuse to pay until I see what they are charging for here. Does anyone know the procedure for taking action against the agent when behaving in this Dick Turpin manner? Is the PRS the way to go or or Is there a better/ different avenue to pursue. The other residents are single old women, frightened of disputing anything.

Just disinstruct them, surely?
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

That list of items is the service charge, so it is nonsense to say there is no service charge.

If this is a an isolated block of four flats, I think I could believe the agent fee. London fees are high, and four flats is really too small for most agents, so their overheads will be high. For 30 flats in outer London, typical quotes are £200 + VAT, and an additional markup on major works, but, with only four flats it is going to be much more.

The level of detail you are getting is about par for the course for service charge budgets or accounts. After the fact, you can ask to see the actual invoices, from the previous year.

Comment

I have calculated the service charge expenditure for your block of 4 flats as :

Building insurance = £650
        Building Repairs = £108
        Gardening = £230
        Miscellaneous = £100
        Agents Fee = £432

Total expenditure = £1520 = £ 380 per flat which is reasonable for one year.

The agents fee at £432 = £108 management fee per flat is also reasonable ( compared to £200 +VAT for outer London figure reported by L64).

I don't think you can compare the £432 agent fee to 40% of expenses. The agent's work has to include preparing the service charge budget and collecting the service charge contribution from each flat, and getting quotations from service suppliers, placing the order and giving account of expenditure after the year end ( which is the purpose of your meeting next wednesday ).

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input, this block is one of six, (24 flats) all are together, it’s in the North East. There is little to no competition between Agents, only really two doing it. I will see what happens next Wednesday, Previous to this which I’ve posted about they were simply sending out single pieces of paper to each flat saying pay £X with nil other explanation. I also note there is no sign of their membership of any PRS, either on their paperwork or website, which is mandatory now with separate client account I will be enquiring which they have joined and what their membership number is.

Comment

You say a freehold flat ? Do you mean leasehold ?
            Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

No freehold, there are a great number of freehold ones in the area.

Comment

Then what is the contractual basis on which you pay the charges ? and to whom ?
                Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

If you have some form of lease or other agreement you need to read and understand it before your meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipper View Post
                    If you have some form of lease or other agreement you need to read and understand it before your meeting.
                    I agree with this. Whatever the situation is regarding your flat, you need to know exactly what you are contractually obliged to pay for with regards to insurance, maintenance, etc. (if anything).

It sounds like some sort of estate charge may apply, which can be the case with some properties, but this would not usually include block insurance or any repairs to individual blocks.
                    If your flat really is freehold, you need to know who is responsible for any repairs/maintenance to your block that is needed, whether or not this is shared by all owners in the block, and if so, who pays what share.

If there are no legally binding agreements in place for any of this, you shouldn't need to pay anything - but you will likely have problems selling unless you find a buyer who doesn't use a competent solicitor, or ignores the solicitors advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to AGM cancelled.
                      by Grumio
                      The articles state they must declare any kind of interest directly or indirectly, problem is it’s kind of hard to deal with people who keep messing everyone around, calling an AGM and then cancelling it for eg. We have called meetings with them in the past and they don’t turn up. How can you deal...
                      26-01-2022, 14:35 PM
                    • AGM cancelled.
                      by Grumio
                      Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
                      26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
                      by eagle2
                      Any meeting which you decide to hold will be an informal meeting only, you do need to follow the correct procedure if you wish to hold a valid meeting,

The Articles should state whether or not directors need to declare conflicts of interest and whether or not they are entitled to vote on...
                      26-01-2022, 13:30 PM
                      by Grumio
                      It is both a managing agent and a residence Association. But we want to go back to managing the block ourselves.

Thanks for the reply, yes invitations have been sent to all our members. And I agree, they should not cancel the AGM, especially when they haven’t got a plausible reason to...
                      26-01-2022, 12:12 PM
                    • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                      by sgclacy
                      Doubling every 25 years is simply a guess as to what inflation may be, if inflation of the current levels ( about 6% ) was to continue the real value of the rent would fall by 77% and doubling would not address the enormous damage done by inflation. However, if inflation was less than 2.81% per annum...
                      26-01-2022, 11:57 AM
                    • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                      by Section20z
                      You are clearly using the informal route and can thus negotiate whatever terms you like.
                      freeholder will want to retain some ground rent but avoid the doubling clause, maybe suggest small fixed rises every ten years....
                      26-01-2022, 10:40 AM
                    • Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                      by Santa Fe
                      Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
                      24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
                    • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                      by Section20z
                      Quite, there is also the question here of who the actual freeholder is and whether the whole thing is any concern of the OP who only ever need pay 25% !!...
                      26-01-2022, 10:25 AM
                      by eagle2
                      Yes, I am confused too. If there is a Residents Association, it is required to comply with its constitution.

There seems to be a Company involved as well. Whether or not it is required to hold an AGM depends on its Articles, AGMs can be cancelled for various reasons, lockdowns are an example,...
                      26-01-2022, 10:19 AM
                    • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                      by eagle2
                      I think that we have found 3 possible alternatives already and no doubt we could find more, As Section20z says it is very rare for a court or a tribunal to intervene, The lease appears to allow the freeholder (?) to decide what is fair and reasonable and it has decided that an equal share is reasonable,...
                      26-01-2022, 10:01 AM
                    Working...
                    X