Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak issue from our flat, access to flat below

Hi,
    We own a second floor flat which is let out.
    There has been a leak issue since early 2019 which was reported by the flat below.

Our issue is the owner of the flat below does not live there, and only goes back once a fortnight or once a month.
    We have tried many times to fix the leak from our property. Initially the shower was suspected, then the bath. Eventually we had to get the block insurance engineers in. It looks like it may be a building plumbing issue.

Currently the en suite in our flat has been out of use since December 23rd due the the engineers works. The owner downstairs cannot check for leaks until 18th January. This is nearly a full month since our last attempted fix.
    Even if there is no leak, we'll then put the ensuite back together and in use and it'll still be another 2 weeks or a month before we find out if there is anymore sign of a leak.

Any advice? The feeling of helplessness over this is driving me nuts. Is there no requirement or anything in the leaseholder agreement about providing access to resolve leak situations for the property that is being 'leaked' into?

Thanks
    Nick

Why can't you check for leaks in your own flat, rather than wait until they've damaged a neighbour's property. (A common one is bath overflow disconnected.)

All you have to do is take the bath panel off, fill the bath, and then pull the plug. Also spray the shower walls with the shower.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

As Jk0 says,can you not remove bath panel and check for leaks from waste pipes. traps etc?
      Then, run shower and observe if any water leaks, but to be honest, if there are leaks you will smell/see them before needing to do this....

Good luck

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• AGM cancelled.
        by Grumio
        Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
        26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
      • Reply to AGM cancelled.
        by eagle2
        Any meeting which you decide to hold will be an informal meeting only, you do need to follow the correct procedure if you wish to hold a valid meeting,

The Articles should state whether or not directors need to declare conflicts of interest and whether or not they are entitled to vote on...
        26-01-2022, 13:30 PM
        by Grumio
        It is both a managing agent and a residence Association. But we want to go back to managing the block ourselves.

Thanks for the reply, yes invitations have been sent to all our members. And I agree, they should not cancel the AGM, especially when they haven’t got a plausible reason to...
        26-01-2022, 12:12 PM
      • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
        by sgclacy
        Doubling every 25 years is simply a guess as to what inflation may be, if inflation of the current levels ( about 6% ) was to continue the real value of the rent would fall by 77% and doubling would not address the enormous damage done by inflation. However, if inflation was less than 2.81% per annum...
        26-01-2022, 11:57 AM
      • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
        by Section20z
        You are clearly using the informal route and can thus negotiate whatever terms you like.
        freeholder will want to retain some ground rent but avoid the doubling clause, maybe suggest small fixed rises every ten years....
        26-01-2022, 10:40 AM
      • Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
        by Santa Fe
        Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
        24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
      • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
        by Section20z
        Quite, there is also the question here of who the actual freeholder is and whether the whole thing is any concern of the OP who only ever need pay 25% !!...
        26-01-2022, 10:25 AM
        by eagle2
        Yes, I am confused too. If there is a Residents Association, it is required to comply with its constitution.

There seems to be a Company involved as well. Whether or not it is required to hold an AGM depends on its Articles, AGMs can be cancelled for various reasons, lockdowns are an example,...
        26-01-2022, 10:19 AM
      • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
        by eagle2
        I think that we have found 3 possible alternatives already and no doubt we could find more, As Section20z says it is very rare for a court or a tribunal to intervene, The lease appears to allow the freeholder (?) to decide what is fair and reasonable and it has decided that an equal share is reasonable,...
        26-01-2022, 10:01 AM
        by fos333
        Is this a Residence Association or Residents Management Company?

Had invitations to the AGM been sent out to all members? If invitations had been issued then no the AGM should not have been cancelled.

If the 2 directors are "good friends of the managing agent" they...
        26-01-2022, 10:00 AM
      Working...
      X