Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlords Electricity Supply

Hi Guys

After some advice here if anyone is able to help.

I am running the management company for a block of flats where I also live. We all own a share of the freehold.

I am looking at renewing our electricity supply for the communal areas and notice it's currently on a business rate (as it's paid for by our Management Company which is a Ltd). Does anyone know of any providers who would consider the landlords supply as domestic use rather than business use, as the standing charges on business accounts are quite high.

Curious if anyone has any experience in this area.

Thanks,
    Matt

All mine are on domestic tariffs, why not just get the mpan number and try and apply online for a domestic account ?
    what's the worst that can happen.....

Comment

We had the same issue. The Freehold in my name, but as I don't live there, it was treated as Business.

On business, they charge standing order, so if you have those push button lights, the cost of the standing charge is more then the electricity used.

They need to change the law. As Freeholder don't make a profit on any activity. e.g. refurbishment, re-painting. Yet, are treated as a business for electricity purposes.

Comment

To the extent that the market is working well, the standing charges should reflect the standing costs of maintaining the meter, billing etc. The reason that business tariffs may all use standing charges is probably precisely because some businesses users have particularly low usages.

Domestic users generally have sufficient usage that the standing charge can be recovered, either by having different tariffs for the initial usage and later usage, or simply by having a single tariff, set to cover the standing costs for a typical household.

In a really effective market, everyone would have standing charges, but you might also find that a specially high rate was applied to usage in the kettle boiling breaks on commercial TV, because of the need to run up gas turbine generators.

Comment

If the property is a residential block of flats managed by a non-profit service charge account, , you should be able the open an account and pay 5% VAT

Comment

As above... you are residential in that you only pay 5% VAT however a lot of suppliers will only give you a 'business product' if you are a company or your use is over a certain amount - some business products actually give you a lower unit rate so this may be the way to go.

Shop around or go to a broker, you'll find huge differences in prices. We recently tendered our common area supply and some providers were double the cost of others, for no reason at all.

Comment

Hello, when I took on the role of director for RMC the supply for the communal lights was with EDF. I noticed the charges were very high, and eventually found that by signing up for a year at a time (Fixed term contract) I could get a better rate.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freehold confusion
                by davetg
                30 years ago I bought a flat from a friend. The freehold at the time was registered to my friend and the lady who owned the other flat. I understood at the time that I would replace the friend on the freehold but this never happened. This was not a problem until now as when work on the structure of...
                24-05-2022, 14:29 PM
              • Reply to Freehold confusion
                by davetg
                Thanks for the reply - both flats have separate 999 year leases so i guess the freehold is of little value. I will look in to TR1.

I have always insured my flat separately and assumed the other flat was doing the same - is this a problem?...
                24-05-2022, 14:48 PM
              • Old managing agents accounts
                by jazzythumper
                Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
                20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
              • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
                by jazzythumper
                Thanks, I’m not sure that has been provided, if it hasn’t can we force them to produce this?

Would it be a simple case of sending a letter with a timescale to respond and if not received followed by the magistrates route?...
                24-05-2022, 14:39 PM
              • Reply to Freehold confusion
                by Section20z
                1.He will need to sign a TR1 and transfer title to you but it really needs to be done through a solicitor or land registry won't be happy with his ID.
                2. If you have a separate lease on your flat then freehold is not worth much, if not then it's worth what the flats worth at least .
                3. Cost...
                24-05-2022, 14:37 PM
              • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
                by Stu1020
                Thank you for the response Macromia this is a useful conversation.

I can see why the current proportion might be justified, I have been paying 38% towards the buildings insurance the last 4/5 years. However, my dispute is now arising because we are unable to move forward with existing covenants,...
                24-05-2022, 08:55 AM
              • Reply to Section 20
                by Anna1985
                The driveway/front garden partially belongs to the freeholder and partially leaseholder. The freeholder's maintenance covered by leaseholders, the leaseholder must keep the property in the state of repair but won't do....
                24-05-2022, 08:23 AM
              • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
                by Section20z
                We lost a fair bit of reserve fund when we went RTM but consoled ourselves with the knowledge they would no longer be ripping us off annually.
                24-05-2022, 07:59 AM
              • Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
                by Flatman78
                Thanks Gordon999

You can see from above reply to Macromia that's your comment wouldn't be relevant to me. there is no managing agent. It's just me (FH) and LH in upstairs flat.
                Thanks for taking time to reply though....
                23-05-2022, 20:29 PM
              • S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
                by Flatman78
                Hi LZ Community

Just wondering if anyone's had/having any issues with S20 and allowing leaseholder 30 days to review estimates, raise concerns etc.

Building material prices have fluctuated massively since covid and brexit.
                with a combination of Brexit, impact from russia/ukraine...
                23-05-2022, 14:42 PM
              Working...
              X