Landlords Electricity Supply

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Landlords Electricity Supply

    Hi Guys

    After some advice here if anyone is able to help.

    I am running the management company for a block of flats where I also live. We all own a share of the freehold.

    I am looking at renewing our electricity supply for the communal areas and notice it's currently on a business rate (as it's paid for by our Management Company which is a Ltd). Does anyone know of any providers who would consider the landlords supply as domestic use rather than business use, as the standing charges on business accounts are quite high.

    Curious if anyone has any experience in this area.


    All mine are on domestic tariffs, why not just get the mpan number and try and apply online for a domestic account ?
    what's the worst that can happen.....


      We had the same issue. The Freehold in my name, but as I don't live there, it was treated as Business.

      On business, they charge standing order, so if you have those push button lights, the cost of the standing charge is more then the electricity used.

      They need to change the law. As Freeholder don't make a profit on any activity. e.g. refurbishment, re-painting. Yet, are treated as a business for electricity purposes.


        To the extent that the market is working well, the standing charges should reflect the standing costs of maintaining the meter, billing etc. The reason that business tariffs may all use standing charges is probably precisely because some businesses users have particularly low usages.

        Domestic users generally have sufficient usage that the standing charge can be recovered, either by having different tariffs for the initial usage and later usage, or simply by having a single tariff, set to cover the standing costs for a typical household.

        In a really effective market, everyone would have standing charges, but you might also find that a specially high rate was applied to usage in the kettle boiling breaks on commercial TV, because of the need to run up gas turbine generators.


          If the property is a residential block of flats managed by a non-profit service charge account, , you should be able the open an account and pay 5% VAT


            As above... you are residential in that you only pay 5% VAT however a lot of suppliers will only give you a 'business product' if you are a company or your use is over a certain amount - some business products actually give you a lower unit rate so this may be the way to go.

            Shop around or go to a broker, you'll find huge differences in prices. We recently tendered our common area supply and some providers were double the cost of others, for no reason at all.


              Hello, when I took on the role of director for RMC the supply for the communal lights was with EDF. I noticed the charges were very high, and eventually found that by signing up for a year at a time (Fixed term contract) I could get a better rate.


              Latest Activity


              • AGM cancelled.
                by Grumio
                Is this legal?

                A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
                26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
              • Reply to AGM cancelled.
                by Andrea Cunningham
                Call an EGM. Make sure you give proper notice and that it is legal (download a boilerplate notice off the internet). In that EGM you can vote new directors in, or even vote the old directors out.
                26-01-2022, 07:14 AM
              • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                by SouthernDave
                Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
                i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
                25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
              • Reply to What can I do about my right of way.
                by Trevor62

                This is the ROW as it is in the land registry.

                Can I ask another question?

                As you can read it says Boundary determined by edge of pavings. Before the other party moved out they built a fence along the boundary though they build it on my side of the...
                25-01-2022, 20:58 PM
              • What can I do about my right of way.
                by Trevor62
                I live in the upper flat of a maisonette, I have a right of way that goes around the back of the building from the side entrance, there are only two flats in the building.

                Anyway for years there has been a gate with a lock to go through the right of way, now for the past year the flat has...
                23-01-2022, 23:01 PM
              • Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
                by Andrea Cunningham
                The estate I live on has 2 blocks. All the leaseholders are members of the company which owns the freehold and manages the block ("Share of freehold").

                Suppose one of the 2 blocks decides to go it alone - so in other words gain the freehold from a company they are already a member...
                04-10-2021, 12:07 PM
              • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
                by Andrea Cunningham
                As I said right at the beginning, there are some very sound reasons to do this which I wasn't going to go into. Suffice it to say that the current situation is one where the building I live in suffers under the tyranny of the majority of the larger building. So what is being sought is genuine control...
                25-01-2022, 20:24 PM
              • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
                by Andrea Cunningham
                There is already no ground rent collected - so as I understand it the value of the freehold might be quite low anyway.

                If this is all done by negotiation then it is a moot point regardless, and it brings me back to what I was actually asking about, which is how to fairly and equitably split...
                25-01-2022, 20:10 PM
              • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
                by Macromia
                That potentially raises an interesting question about what happens to any money that needs to be paid for the enfranchisement.
                At the moment payment is handed over, all those in the block being enfranchised would presumably cease to be members of the company - so wouldn't be entitled to any share...
                25-01-2022, 19:40 PM
              • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
                by Macromia
                That may not be your intention, but it definitely seems like you haven't given proper consideration to what enfranchisement would involve.

                What do the leases specifically say about what is included within service charge/maintenance costs and how service charge costs are to be split?...
                25-01-2022, 19:25 PM