Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lastly,
    Don't send payment to anyone you don't have to.[/QUOTE]
    Who do i "have to" send payment too? The Charitable Trust? Or whoever they tell me I have to send payment to? Lease doesn't stipulate.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
      To clarify: the FH doing their fire risk assessment has nothing at all to do with your obligations. Nor are your obligations any business if the FH unless the lease gives you some in terms of FH. You might for example have to get fire alarms as a landlord, but that is no business of FH to know about.
      So in your opinion, I shouldn't have to provide this information?

Comment

No, not unless the lease says you do (the law does not say you do). That is not to say you should not do your own fire risk assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
          I guessed there'd be a fee. How many times do we have to tell you? It's a lot of nonsense. Any fire risk assessment is down to the freeholder to do.
          The freeholder is responsible for the fire risk assessment of the communal areas. They are not responsible for that of the inside of the flat. The sub-landlord is responsible for fire risk assessing the inside of the flat. The responsibilities come from different legislation. Inside is covered by the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post

The freeholder is responsible for the fire risk assessment of the communal areas. They are not responsible for that of the inside of the flat. The sub-landlord is responsible for fire risk assessing the inside of the flat. The responsibilities come from different legislation. Inside is covered by the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.
            Once again, I believe you are mistaken. The two functions cannot be separated.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
              To clarify: the FH doing their fire risk assessment has nothing at all to do with your obligations. Nor are your obligations any business if the FH unless the lease gives you some in terms of FH. You might for example have to get fire alarms as a landlord, but that is no business of FH to know about.
              Yes and no. The absence of smoke alarms in the flat probably doesn't affect the fire risk for the communal areas, but the absence of internal fire doors probably does.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

Once again, I believe you are mistaken. The two functions cannot be separated.
                The guidance documents are quite clear that the scope of communal area fire risk assessments doesn't give a general right to inspect the insides of flats. I'm not convinced that is right, because, a I said in my immediately preceding post, actions of sub-landlords can increase the communal area fire risk, and, whilst it may be impossible to force them to fix the problems they, arguable, should be taken into account, by making compensatory changes in the communal area measures.

The guidance documents do say that the nature of the people using the building should be taken into account, although, unfortunately, fire risk assessors don't seem to take this as seriously as i think they should, and tend to say general needs flat dwellers, rather than person with moderate dementia, family with unruly children, criminal on rent to rent.

I've looked at the sub-landlord guidance rather less, but that does seem to say that communal areas should be taken into account, but I rather imagine that hardly any landlords do that. Communal areas include things like the entrance doors to other flats, but by the reasoning given further up this reply, probably ought to also consider how the other flats have been modified and used.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post

Yes and no. The absence of smoke alarms in the flat probably doesn't affect the fire risk for the communal areas, but the absence of internal fire doors probably does.
                  That is correct (that what goes on inside the flats is more relevant to Fire Risk that what goes on outside).

But the fact is that FH has no remit (or right) whatsoever to mitigate that risk (and certainly has no right to do so at the cost of the lessees unless the lease says so). FH probably has no right to enter a flat for the purpose of assessing that risk either. It might well be a defect in the legal structure of fire risk assessment - but that does not give FH the right to monetise it.

Banning smoking, candles and drug abuse in blocks of flats would no doubt reduce fire risk far more than any number of sham risk assessments.

Comment

They have a duty to mitigate the risk, but can only do so by things they do within the communal areas, or by specific clauses in the lease (e.g. ones relating to the storage of inflammable materials in flats), or to complying with building regulations.

Most leases don't actually cover the cost of communal area fire safety, but it is a necessary cost. and I believe, any challenge would result in a successful application to have the lease varied as not providing an adequate standard of amenity. If that gets successfully challenged, I would expect new legislation to be forthcoming.

Drug use is generally banned by leases in that they normally have clauses against illegal and immoral purposes.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Applying to Tribunal
                      by Paulsen
                      I have a complicated history with my managing agent and I have written a few times on here. They have issued debt collecting for “unpaid” ground rent and I don’t think I have an option but to apply to the Tribunal.
                      They issued a letter suggesting to use my insurance payment of £3997 against...
                      17-01-2020, 15:14 PM
                    • Reply to Applying to Tribunal
                      by Paulsen
                      “Following the expiry of this letter and neither a response nor payment being made, we will continue to collect the arrears in full” this is what it states at the end of the letter. £100 ground rent and £250 fees.

They are acting on behalf of the freeholders, but the managing agent...
                      21-01-2020, 00:34 AM
                      by fos333
                      If they have put your account on hold again it should not be a problem.

Did the letter not contain 'Following the expiry of this letter and neither a response nor payment being made, we will (where applicable) notify the parties with a registered financial interest on HM Land Registry of...
                      21-01-2020, 00:04 AM
                      by leaseholder64
                      Lenders often ask to be informed at an early stage, so I would say they can, and if they are in the habit of it, will do so early.
                      20-01-2020, 23:52 PM
                      by Paulsen
                      Yes the letter from DCA did say to only communicate with them which I have done and they have put the account on hold. I received an email today saying I need to pay them, but I rang again and forwarded the letter from the agent where they are suggesting using my insurance money towards costs. I also...
                      20-01-2020, 23:30 PM
                      by fos333
                      ARMA will not be the redress scheme for your MA, it will be either The Property Ombudsman or Property Redress Scheme.

Google 'leasehold redress schemes' and the information you require is there.

The old MA will be regulated by ARMA who may look at your issues as you already...
                      20-01-2020, 22:47 PM
                    • Reply to Being removed as a director from freeholder company
                      by surreygirl
                      Yes I am. I have checked thank you!!...
                      20-01-2020, 21:57 PM
                    • Being removed as a director from freeholder company
                      by surreygirl
                      I have just had a notification that I and the rest of the Directors have been removed as Directors from the Company. We have a Managing Agent now and he sent out an email a week ago to say he is now ready to "Manage" the property and has called a meeting for next month to discuss the work...
                      20-01-2020, 14:42 PM
                    • Reply to Being removed as a director from freeholder company
                      by surreygirl
                      Thank you all for your comments. Very interesting. The Agent did come back to me and say that we had been put down as owning more the 25% and that was incorrect and so we have been removed as "a person with significant control".

But thank you all for your interest and comments....
                      20-01-2020, 21:57 PM
                    • Law Commission's suggested schemes For Leasehold reform
                      by TruthLedger
                      Has anyone had a chance to read through the new proposals for leasehold reform? What do you make of the three schemes suggested by the Law Commission? Which scheme do you favor?
                      18-01-2020, 17:16 PM
                    Working...
                    X