Correct Accounting report for an RMC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct Accounting report for an RMC

I am wondering what is the correct accounting report for an RMC, that is owned by the leaseholders / freeholders and also owns the freehold.
    Has the Tec/03/11 been superseded? Is the Financial reporting standard 102 section 1A appropriate?
    Is it correct to report that the reserve fund is owned by the shareholders? The shareholders and the leaseholders / freeholders may be the same people but the residents as shareholders don't contribute any money at all. If the money belongs to the shareholders, then the reserve fund is not ring fenced according to S42??? If one reads the accounts, it is as if the reserve fund is an asset of the company.
    If the surplus from the annual service budget is moved to the members reserves, isn't this a 'profit' to the company? It is reported as 'other comprehensive income'.

I am so sorry for this 'rain of questions' ... if you don't have answers, could you please guide me to the right direction?
    Thank you so much!

If the reserve fund is established by the lease, it is held on trust, in the same way as the rest of the service charges, and therefore is not owned by the shareholders. In this situation, the shareholders own the company. The company is is the legal owner of the funds, but is not the beneficial owner, so they appear on the service charge accounts, not the company accounts.

Details can vary, but in general the leaseholders have no rights to the money, but it may be spent on some of the things for which they pay service charges, for their benefit. Any tie to a specific flat is to that flat, not the current owner.

ICAEW TECH 03/11 is the current accounting standard, but, as the document itself says, is subject to the wording in the lease, which may make different requirements.

The only tax on a correctly operated reserve fund, under the lease, is on investment returns. It is taxed as a discretionary trust, and, hence or otherwise, there is currently a minimum savings income below which no tax was payable. Immediately before that small amounts of income where taxed at the same rate as basic rate, and a net bank account would have required no further tax bureaucracy.

(Even without the trust, the money wouldn't belong to the shareholders, but rather to the company.)

If excesses are being swept into the reserve fund, it is almost certainly established by the lease, but it should be possible to get even voluntary funds, outside the lease, classed as tax exempt, as long as the company is never allowed to return the money to the shareholders.

Comment

Thank you Leaseholder 64. I

Comment

The RMC has to file its own "RMC company accounts" to Companies House and if it has no ground rent income, it will be filing dormant accounts.

The RMC has responsibility under the lease to collect the service charge money from leaseholders and arrange maintenance of the building by appointing a managing agent who , if a RICS member , is required to provide management service complying to the standard in RICS Residential Management Code Version. 3 .

Some managing agents are members of ARMA which has its own management code :

https://arma.org.uk/downloader/dx6/2...harges_V01.pdf

Comment

The unspent service charge money including "reserve fund/sinking fund " belongs to the leaseholders. The RMC has to keep the service charge money in separate bank accounts called "client account" for which the bank will issue a letter to acknowledge the "client account" holds money on trust , belonging to the leaseholders. These accounts are ring fenced to guard against loss to creditors if the RMC is made bankrupt for any reason.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Applying to Tribunal
            by Paulsen
            I have a complicated history with my managing agent and I have written a few times on here. They have issued debt collecting for “unpaid” ground rent and I don’t think I have an option but to apply to the Tribunal.
            They issued a letter suggesting to use my insurance payment of £3997 against...
            17-01-2020, 15:14 PM
          • Reply to Applying to Tribunal
            by Paulsen
            “Following the expiry of this letter and neither a response nor payment being made, we will continue to collect the arrears in full” this is what it states at the end of the letter. £100 ground rent and £250 fees.

They are acting on behalf of the freeholders, but the managing agent...
            21-01-2020, 00:34 AM
            by fos333
            If they have put your account on hold again it should not be a problem.

Did the letter not contain 'Following the expiry of this letter and neither a response nor payment being made, we will (where applicable) notify the parties with a registered financial interest on HM Land Registry of...
            21-01-2020, 00:04 AM
            by leaseholder64
            Lenders often ask to be informed at an early stage, so I would say they can, and if they are in the habit of it, will do so early.
            20-01-2020, 23:52 PM
            by Paulsen
            Yes the letter from DCA did say to only communicate with them which I have done and they have put the account on hold. I received an email today saying I need to pay them, but I rang again and forwarded the letter from the agent where they are suggesting using my insurance money towards costs. I also...
            20-01-2020, 23:30 PM
            by fos333
            ARMA will not be the redress scheme for your MA, it will be either The Property Ombudsman or Property Redress Scheme.

Google 'leasehold redress schemes' and the information you require is there.

The old MA will be regulated by ARMA who may look at your issues as you already...
            20-01-2020, 22:47 PM
          • Reply to Being removed as a director from freeholder company
            by surreygirl
            Yes I am. I have checked thank you!!...
            20-01-2020, 21:57 PM
          • Being removed as a director from freeholder company
            by surreygirl
            I have just had a notification that I and the rest of the Directors have been removed as Directors from the Company. We have a Managing Agent now and he sent out an email a week ago to say he is now ready to "Manage" the property and has called a meeting for next month to discuss the work...
            20-01-2020, 14:42 PM
          • Reply to Being removed as a director from freeholder company
            by surreygirl
            Thank you all for your comments. Very interesting. The Agent did come back to me and say that we had been put down as owning more the 25% and that was incorrect and so we have been removed as "a person with significant control".

But thank you all for your interest and comments....
            20-01-2020, 21:57 PM
          • Law Commission's suggested schemes For Leasehold reform
            by TruthLedger
            Has anyone had a chance to read through the new proposals for leasehold reform? What do you make of the three schemes suggested by the Law Commission? Which scheme do you favor?
            18-01-2020, 17:16 PM
          Working...
          X