Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaseholder64
    replied
    30 days from when each of the notices is deemed to have been received. There are only two stages if go for the lowest bid.

Contractors may or may not be unwilling to prepare quotes before the specification has stabilised, and may be unwilling to schedule a start day before they are 100% sure of the contract.

If you have a non-payer, how are you going to pay for the work. Most leases don't allow you to borrow money from other leaseholders.

Leave a comment:

• SiMagic
    replied
    One more question...do you know what the minimum length of time is between each stage of the S20 consulation process? From my own research it appears to be 30 days.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• SiMagic
    replied
    Thank you, really appreciate the insight.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    It's a pity you couldn't prove you would hear nothing from them. If you could, you would have proved that curtailing the consultation did not disadvantage them, so they would have no claim post Daejan, as long as the FTT was prepared to give retrospective dispensation.

The danger here is that share of the freehold type company members tend to not like the delays that S20 causes, in all circumstances, whereas dispensation is only intended for real emergencies (e.g. the lift in a retirement complex).

Leave a comment:

• SiMagic
    replied
    Thank you for your reply

The owner of the top floor flat who wants the work done has has got two quotes and emailed the rest of us all of the details, asking for feedback, however, he wants wants to book the work in for this week - 5 days after sending out this information.

I don't think extending the consultation period would have meant he would have got a significantly lower quote.

Unfortunately the owner that we will have the problem with never replies to any form of communication (and owes a large amount of service charge payments), so no matter how long the consultation period I doubt we'd hear anything from him.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    To be legal, you need to go through the procedure. If someone is likely not to want to pay, that's particularly important.

A single leaseholder can challenge for failure to do this, and they can even change their mind after any company vote. From a legal point of view company members are not the same as leaseholders.

If you could get 100% agreement, you might be able to risk it, but if non-payment is likely you need to consider a pre-emptive application to the FTT to waive the process. Generally though, in the case of urgent work, if you can demonstrate that you consulted as much as possible within the available time, and that you took steps to ensure you got value for money, you should be able to get a retrospective dispensation. Because of case law, from the Daejan case, you will be able to recover most or all of the cost. The test will be how much would it have cost if the consultation had been done in full, rather than a limit of £250.

Some people report that managing agents are not doing S20's, because the Daejan case severely weakens the law.

Leave a comment:

• SiMagic
    started a topic Section 20 Consultation

Section 20 Consultation

Hi,

I am one of 6 owners in a block of flats who own a share of the freehold and are directors on the management company. Each of the owners are leaseholders.

We need to get some major urgent work done to the roof which is likely to cost ~£10,000. It is likely that we'll have difficulty with the two of the owners contributing.

If we are all directors and owners of the freehold rather than just straight forward leaseholders, do we still need to go through the three stage Section 20 consultation process if the majority of directors have agreed on a quote and for the work go ahead?

My worry is that if we have to legal action against one of the owners and we haven't gone through the proper process then we won't be able to recover any more than £250.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Simon

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Balcony repairs - lease issue
    by Jones666
    Hi, new poster here, legal ignoramus. We live on the middle floor of a three story building (i.e. the British first floor), freehold jointly held as individual leases by all owners equally and managed by a residents' committee who employ estate managers. We and the flat above have balconies which are...
    05-07-2022, 11:13 AM
  • Reply to Balcony repairs - lease issue
    by Lawcruncher
    It is not really possible to answer your question without knowing exactly what your lease says, please quote in full:

The "parcels" that is the part which describes what is included and (possibly) excluded.
    The tenant's repairing obligations
    The landlord's...
    05-07-2022, 22:20 PM
  • Responsibility on my freehold
    by paul woodford
    I am joint freeholder with the property upstairs and have had issues with our roof leaking. After many repairs paying my 50% to the cost, the upstairs owner has decided to extend into the loft space and onto 50% of the flat roof at the back. I thought this would reduce the cost to me to the front of...
    05-07-2022, 20:44 PM
  • Property Purchase - Environment Search came back with....
    by John2005
    Hi all. I have a question that was not linked to the same subject as my other topic so I figured it would make sense to create a new topic for this one.

I'm in the process of purchasing a flat and I have seen on one of the searches 'Environment' one to be specific - state "Further...
    04-07-2022, 02:40 AM
  • Reply to Property Purchase - Environment Search came back with....
    by Tipper
    For ground contamination you would be better to seek out a hydrogeologist as they deal with ground water and contamination issues and its remediation. Much of their work is desk research and then followed by any necessary on site tests.

It is likely that full site tests and necessary clean-up...
    05-07-2022, 19:05 PM
    by Sydaton
    It sounds to me that the Estate Managers are wrong. From what you say, the balcony is exactly that, a balcony, it might be an extension of the downstairs ceiling but at the moment it passes through the wall it becomes your balcony. And, from what you say, you are responsible for its repair.
    05-07-2022, 12:40 PM
    by royw
    Can 'ceiling' apply to something outside the property? Seems a bit of stretch to me. Suggest you post the relevant part of the lease.
    05-07-2022, 12:23 PM
    by JK0
    It should be a certain proportion of the total cost, surely? I don't see how you can apportion different amounts to different flats.
    05-07-2022, 11:34 AM
    by AndrewDod
    It is going to depend on the exact wording of the lease (definitions of things like "building" and so on). There is no external rule....
    05-07-2022, 11:22 AM
  • Reply to Missing joint freeholder in 2x flat block, able to to gain share of freehold?
    by JonRo15
    Thanks vmart...the other leaseholder/freeholder is desperate to sell her flat, as well and the part of the freehold. She is unable to sell/extend lease/transfer title without the missing freeholder, as there was no Declaration of Trust or similar in place. There is no company, just two individuals....
    05-07-2022, 08:56 AM
Working...
X