Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 20 Consultation

Hi,

I am one of 6 owners in a block of flats who own a share of the freehold and are directors on the management company. Each of the owners are leaseholders.

We need to get some major urgent work done to the roof which is likely to cost ~£10,000. It is likely that we'll have difficulty with the two of the owners contributing.

If we are all directors and owners of the freehold rather than just straight forward leaseholders, do we still need to go through the three stage Section 20 consultation process if the majority of directors have agreed on a quote and for the work go ahead?

My worry is that if we have to legal action against one of the owners and we haven't gone through the proper process then we won't be able to recover any more than £250.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Simon

To be legal, you need to go through the procedure. If someone is likely not to want to pay, that's particularly important.

A single leaseholder can challenge for failure to do this, and they can even change their mind after any company vote. From a legal point of view company members are not the same as leaseholders.

If you could get 100% agreement, you might be able to risk it, but if non-payment is likely you need to consider a pre-emptive application to the FTT to waive the process. Generally though, in the case of urgent work, if you can demonstrate that you consulted as much as possible within the available time, and that you took steps to ensure you got value for money, you should be able to get a retrospective dispensation. Because of case law, from the Daejan case, you will be able to recover most or all of the cost. The test will be how much would it have cost if the consultation had been done in full, rather than a limit of £250.

Some people report that managing agents are not doing S20's, because the Daejan case severely weakens the law.

Comment

Thank you for your reply

The owner of the top floor flat who wants the work done has has got two quotes and emailed the rest of us all of the details, asking for feedback, however, he wants wants to book the work in for this week - 5 days after sending out this information.

I don't think extending the consultation period would have meant he would have got a significantly lower quote.

Unfortunately the owner that we will have the problem with never replies to any form of communication (and owes a large amount of service charge payments), so no matter how long the consultation period I doubt we'd hear anything from him.

Comment

It's a pity you couldn't prove you would hear nothing from them. If you could, you would have proved that curtailing the consultation did not disadvantage them, so they would have no claim post Daejan, as long as the FTT was prepared to give retrospective dispensation.

The danger here is that share of the freehold type company members tend to not like the delays that S20 causes, in all circumstances, whereas dispensation is only intended for real emergencies (e.g. the lift in a retirement complex).

Comment

Thank you, really appreciate the insight.

Comment

One more question...do you know what the minimum length of time is between each stage of the S20 consulation process? From my own research it appears to be 30 days.

Thanks

Comment

30 days from when each of the notices is deemed to have been received. There are only two stages if go for the lowest bid.

Contractors may or may not be unwilling to prepare quotes before the specification has stabilised, and may be unwilling to schedule a start day before they are 100% sure of the contract.

If you have a non-payer, how are you going to pay for the work. Most leases don't allow you to borrow money from other leaseholders.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
                by pt888
                A property recently came back onto the market for the reason being that the previous buyer was unable to lend money from his bank due to the lease only having 87 years remaining, the estate agent therefore said that going forward only cash-buyers would be considered. Out of those cash buyers i was selected....
                28-01-2022, 20:38 PM
              • Reply to 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
                by L4NDLORD
                If you have a solicitor ask him to download a copy of the lease from HM Land Registry, it will inform you of the rent payable etc. Costs about three quid, plus your solicitors time (ten minutes!)
                29-01-2022, 00:57 AM
              • Reply to 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
                by L4NDLORD
                The city will probably insist you served notice and that they obtain a valuation for which you will almost certainly have to pay. Even so with 87 years unexpired its still not going to cost very much, a few thousand pounds. The solution to your question is to ask the seller to serve the notice on the...
                29-01-2022, 00:56 AM
              • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                by SouthernDave
                Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
                i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
                25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
              • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                by L4NDLORD
                it is quite true that the professionals unnecessarily make a meal of this type of work. One of the planks of my submission to Professor Hophins was that the landlord's costs should be limited to 500 pounds. I also suggested that relativity be standardised nationally (accepting that there would be winners...
                29-01-2022, 00:51 AM
              • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                by sgclacy
                So the new lessee who wishes to challenge the proportion would have seen BEFORE he purchased the flat what percentage he was to pay - the unfairness of the bargain was patently clear BEFORE he purchased and may we’ll have been reflected in the price paid for the flat. So notwithstanding all of that...
                28-01-2022, 22:45 PM
              • Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
                by bigalxyz
                Director of RMC - 11 flats in London
                There seems to be a long standing problem with the plumbing in the bathroom of one of the flats. 4 water leaks in the last 18 months, causing damage to the flat below.

Is there anything the RMC can do to compel the leaseholder of the problem flat...
                28-01-2022, 16:05 PM
              • Reply to Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
                by bigalxyz
                There's no single cause - there have been multiple leaks - each time a different cause. Blocked bath overflow, leaking washing machine hose, leaking toilet cistern inlet, failed balloon valve in toilet, shower screen not fitted properly...all kinds of things. Just general neglect. Owner's never there,...
                28-01-2022, 22:32 PM
                by bigalxyz
                Thank you.

I plan to leaf through the lease at the weekend - there may well be clauses along the lines that you suggest (it does ring a bell). Also I do know that there's a clause along the lines of "leaseholders mustn't do anything to mess up the insurance of the building, and are...
                28-01-2022, 22:30 PM
                by Macromia
                What it says in the lease is mostly what you have to rely on. I would be looking for any clauses that the flat needs to be kept in a good state of repair, and in particular anything that mentions keeping the pipes that serve the flat in a good state of repair and replaced when necessary and anything...
                28-01-2022, 20:53 PM
              Working...
              X