Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking in a lodger in leasehold property

Hi everyone just looking for some help

currently buying flat only to realise the clauses in the lease indicated that without consent property can only be occupied by one family and that no business should be conducted anywhere in the property. I was hoping to get a lodger in to help with the bills. From what I understand I would need to obtain the consent to use the flat having more than one family but can this be refused by the freeholder? Also on my lease under subletting it also indicated I cannot rent out he property separately only as a whole and that needed consent to let would I need to get a consent that way too? From what I read it seems like subletting is different to taking in a lodger.

kind regards

If you are having problems with the bills, you presumably have a mortgage, and will also need the consent of your lender.

A real lodger has a licence, which means that no part of the property is private to them.

Comment

You said " currently buying flat".

If you have not exchanged sale contracts , then withdraw and buy another property.

Comment

I wouldn't worry. If anyone enquires, just say the guy's your 'partner'.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
          You said " currently buying flat".

If you have not exchanged sale contracts , then withdraw and buy another property.
          Which won't be a flat, as these conditions are pretty standard for flats. They are there to protect the other occupiers. I imagine the OP can only afford a flat.

Comment

only be occupied by one family ! then you cannot have a lodger.

but can this be refused by the freeholder?
            YES.

Buy somewhere else.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X