Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info Licence to assign

Hi,

I am selling my flat in London , we are looking to exchange by the end of the week but the buyer solicitor asked for a Licence to assign the lease.
    The freeholder doesn't have a solicitor and he asked me to produce one for his review and he will sign it, but I cannot find any template online.

Is there anyone here that can point me to a facsimile that can be used?
    Or is it something that really need to be written by a lawyer?

Really appreciate any help.

Then the freeholder must employ a solicitor if he does not have a clue, at the freeholders expense.

Points a Freeholder MUST consider are as follows
    ( give him / her a copy of this )

Points for Landlords to consider

• Before giving a written decision on a Licence to Assign, a Landlord should carefully review the terms of the lease and consider what conditions they would like a tenant to satisfy before they will agree to the sale of the property. They should ensure that each condition is justifiable and evaluate whether the overall all the conditions imposed would be viewed positively by the courts.
    • It is reasonable for a Landlord to request bank references in order to ascertain whether a proposed assignee will be able to perform its obligations under the lease. If you are concerned about a new tenant being in a position to pay service charges and ground rent, then this would be an advisable request to make of new tenants.
    • A Landlord can reasonably require inspections of a property prior to giving consent, and it is also reasonable for this to be done by a surveyor, with the Tenant to reimburse the Landlord for any surveyor’s fees. This is recommended to ensure that the existing tenant has not breached any terms of the lease, for example making alterations to the property which may not be permitted.
    • Landlords should be cautious regarding professional and administrative fees. Any fees should be justifiable and relate to actual work being undertaken, and the Landlord should be able to produce specific breakdowns if required.
    • Landlords should also consider requests for a Licence to Assign in a timely manner so as not to be seen to be unreasonably delaying the process.

Comment

Also, from above
      Try this template
      https://www.lawdepot.co.uk/contracts/lease-assignment/

Comment

Thank you,

I hoped for something we could solve quickly...
        I'll pass the information to him...

Comment

The freeholder should have received form LPE1, which has a question about right to assign, which includes an option of the buyer providing the draft licence. That presumably means the buyer's solicitor.

Comment

Thank you,

freeholder ticked NO at point 2.2 " Is a licence to assign required ? " and N/A at point 8.12 " Any required Licence to Assign ".
            I'll ask the buyer if they can provide a one quickly, probably the best option...

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
              Then the freeholder must employ a solicitor if he does not have a clue, at the freeholders expense.
              There is no obligation to employ a solicitor. A licence to assign is not a complicated document though some make it so to justify extortionate fees or because they have a weak grasp of what is required.

Originally posted by ram View Post
              Points a Freeholder MUST consider are as follows etc
              Sound advice, but again no obligation. If you are a tenant and the landlord says to give him something to sign and he'll sign it you comply.and keep your head down.

Comment

Originally posted by sfriziona View Post
                Is there anyone here that can point me to a facsimile that can be used?
                I can produce some standard wording, but I need to know if the lease imposes any special requirements. Please quote the clause in the lease that says consent is required. Please also advise the date of the lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                  1) There is no obligation to employ a solicitor.just because they have a weak grasp of what is required.

2) If you are a tenant and the landlord says to give him something to sign and he'll sign it you comply.and keep your head down.
                  1)
                  If some one does not know what to do, especially a freeholder, they must seek advice. and the freeholder is not on here seeking advice, therefore one would expect a sane person to seek advice.
                  Not from a mechanic, or plumber or tenant, but the legal profession.

2)
                  Here, we have leaseholders as directors, and they would not know how to word a licence to assign, and have not in the past, so asking a tenant leaseholder / director here, to write something and give it to the person administering the freehold, is not a good idea.

Comment

Agree with RAM, I guess we just have to spend more time and do it in a proper way. I'll see if buyer solicitor can draft a licence for the freeholder to review and I'll suggest for him to seek legal advise.
                    Thank all for your help...

Comment

I have read the lease and there is no requirement to obtain the landlord's consent - except during the last seven years of the term which have not yet arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                        I have read the lease and there is no requirement to obtain the landlord's consent - except during the last seven years of the term which have not yet arrived.
                        Thank you again, I'll question my solicitor and see what he has to says.
                        This means that he hasn't even read the lease...

Comment

Quite a lot of the question on the LPE1 enquiry form could be answered from the lease!

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                            Quite a lot of the question on the LPE1 enquiry form could be answered from the lease!
                            I thought that when I had a look at the form. We did not have it in my day, when all this was trees...

A buyer's conveyancer really ought to read the lease before asking questions. As you go through it you make notes of points you need to raise. By the time you have read it you will know if a licence to assign is needed.

A seller's solicitor ought to at the very least scan the lease when drafting the contract to see if there is anything he needs to provide for.

Comment

For a template to assign a lease, see post number 3.

I tried 3 times to post that link, by straight text, and via the link thing, but all 3 were unapproved.

I had to request my post be shown, and now it is, but people may have missed it as it appeared today, after about 10 more posts, but stuck in on the date submitted, and not at the end of all the posts.
                              So in case it was missed, see post number 3. I'm not going to mention the link again in a web site format, seeing as it was rejected 3 previous times.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Restitution for overpaid service charges
                                by Lorimer
                                I have just had a First Tier Tribunal hearing for a service charge challenge spanning the years 2014-2016. The FTT confirmed what I suspected - that I had overpaid 10K of service charges and that although the FTT is not in a position to order repayment to me, I might consider making a county court claim...
                                18-04-2019, 09:01 AM
                              • Reply to Restitution for overpaid service charges
                                by CANADA576
                                Hi Lorimer,would love to know the outcome as I have a very similar problem with a persistent leak plus wrongly apportioned and exaggerate Buildings Insurance premiums from a landlord that owns 8 properties in a row, including mine.
                                09-12-2019, 10:08 AM
                              • Reply to Council or housing association as freeholder
                                by propertyboy
                                Will I have the same statutory right to extend after 2 years like another leaseholder regardless of the fact that the freeholder is the council?

Does it matter if you are a non-resident landlord? Can you extend your lease after 2 years if you are based overseas?...
                                08-12-2019, 17:49 PM
                              • Council or housing association as freeholder
                                by propertyboy
                                Hi all,

I do not have any appetite to buy ex-local stock and look to buy period property in London.

This is personal preference (lots of ex local supply and prefer victorian stock in a period property with 2-3 flats in the block).

Recently I have been looking at...
                                24-11-2019, 21:28 PM
                              • Reply to Correct Accounting report for an RMC
                                by Gordon999
                                The unspent service charge money including "reserve fund/sinking fund " belongs to the leaseholders. The RMC has to keep the service charge money in separate bank accounts called "client account" for which the bank will issue a letter to acknowledge the "client account"...
                                08-12-2019, 14:00 PM
                              • Correct Accounting report for an RMC
                                by Libra
                                I am wondering what is the correct accounting report for an RMC, that is owned by the leaseholders / freeholders and also owns the freehold.
                                Has the Tec/03/11 been superseded? Is the Financial reporting standard 102 section 1A appropriate?
                                Is it correct to report that the reserve fund...
                                07-12-2019, 16:49 PM
                                by Gordon999
                                The RMC has to file its own "RMC company accounts" to Companies House and if it has no ground rent income, it will be filing dormant accounts.

The RMC has responsibility under the lease to collect the service charge money from leaseholders and arrange maintenance of the building...
                                08-12-2019, 13:44 PM
                                by Libra
                                Thank you Leaseholder 64. I
                                07-12-2019, 20:05 PM
                              • Reply to Reporting the directors of a RMC to be unfit
                                by Libra
                                Hello Leaseholder 64,
                                Thank your for your reply. I didn't think that they are the same issues ...that's why I started another post. I can now see how they can have a common point. To my mind, whether I can report the directors was different to what is the correct account report for a RMC. My apologies....
                                07-12-2019, 20:00 PM
                              • Reporting the directors of a RMC to be unfit
                                by Libra
                                Hello...and thank you for listening
                                I am wondering if one could report the RMC directors to be unfit - several breaches of Companies Act - blackmailing / coercing the residents / misleading statements regarding the right to acquire the freehold - probably false accounting ( still investigating...
                                07-12-2019, 16:39 PM
                              Working...
                              X