Service Charge Percentage Wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

96 @ 1% is 96%, 4% short.

100 @ 1.11% is 11% over, which if the same for all 100 flats would immediately make the lease defective.

1.11% makes more sense for 90 flats, where is is only very slightly under.

I can't see how they can charge you 1% of anything. However, I also can't see anything that excludes the cost of the lifts.

Howe many flats are there.

Comment

There are various types of flats and town houses in this complex but probably around 150 at least of similar type as mine, however very few with independent entrance and no use of communal lift areas.
      i am getting charged over 3% of total expenditure; which seems 1% more than my lease say. I have proof that 1% less is being charged to similar properties.
      Do I- have to have Lease amended? or claim via small claims? Thanks for helping.

Comment

Even the other flat you mention cannot be being charged more than 1.11% of total expenditure, so I see no way you could be charged 3% of total, however you interpret your lease.

The percentages are percentages of the expenditure on the times to which they refer, not of the sum of everything.

Comment

Yes agree . Other similar flat pays 1.1%, 0.99% and I pay the same plus another 1% for internal areas.
          I need to get this 1% off from my service charges and seek refund from previous years! How to go about it?
          thanks

Comment

As has been suggested, you need a ruling from the FTT that the charge isn't payable and then a County Court ruling that the debt exists. There may be an order of doing things that makes it more likely that the legal costs will get charged to the freeholder. This assumes that you have to go the whole way.

Is the freeholder operating as a commercial organisation, or are they a non-profit owned by the leaseholders?

Did you understand the point that the percentages are not percentages of the total costs, but percentages of specific categories, and the percentage of the total costs cannot exceed the largest of the individual percentages? Some actual numbers of costs in the three categories and how much you are being charged for each, might make it clearer.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
              As has been suggested, you need a ruling from the FTT that the charge isn't payable and then a County Court ruling that the debt exists. There may be an order of doing things that makes it more likely that the legal costs will get charged to the freeholder. This assumes that you have to go the whole way.

Is the freeholder operating as a commercial organisation, or are they a non-profit owned by the leaseholders?

Did you understand the point that the percentages are not percentages of the total costs, but percentages of specific categories, and the percentage of the total costs cannot exceed the largest of the individual percentages? Some actual numbers of costs in the three categories and how much you are being charged for each, might make it clearer.
              Landlord is a Private holding company ( commercial )
              I have set up a telephone adv from The Leasehold Advisory Service

FTT and tribunal should be next step

and then small claims court for debt recovery if all goes ok

hope I got that in the right order.

I will post some real figures of the costs , thanks very much

Comment

Here is a breakdown of service charges:
                the internal area cost- is not being paid by equivalent apartments(very few)- which do not have internal areas.
                thanks

Comment

Looks like there are 101 properties on the estate, 96 of them contribute to your apartment charge and 92 to your internal charge.

What are the actual numbers in each category?

The actual percentages differ from the lease, but are more accurate for an equal split 101/96/92 ways. Doing the splits as vulgar fractions would have been more sensible if they are equal.

Comment

I've re-read the lease extract, and it still seems to me that most of the items under block costs relate to internal common area items.

What I suspect has happened is that 4 of the leases have different wordings, that fail to cover those items, and those don't get the internal items list, whereas your block costs include them.

The actual percentages in the lease are too high, which has left a margin for them to charge different percentages for internal and external. and they have set the percentages so that everything adds up to 100% in each category, to about four decimal places. The way they've done it allows them to use corrected percentages that don't change from year to year, whereas, if they were to use the exact split shown in your lease, the percentages, corrected to avoid going over 100%, would have to vary from year to year, depending on the proportion of apartment versus internal costs.

It would be interesting to know whether the four flats that differ are the first ones leased or the last ones.

Comment

I've re-read the lease extract, and it still seems to me that most of the items under block costs relate to internal common area items.

What I suspect has happened is that 4 of the leases have different wordings, that fail to cover those items, and those don't get the internal items list, whereas your block costs include them.

The actual percentages in the lease are too high, which has left a margin for them to charge different percentages for internal and external. and they have set the percentages so that everything adds up to 100% in each category, to about four decimal places. The way they've done it allows them to use corrected percentages that don't change from year to year, whereas, if they were to use the exact split shown in your lease, the percentages, corrected to avoid going over 100%, would have to vary from year to year, depending on the proportion of apartment versus internal costs.

It would be interesting to know whether the four flats that differ are the first ones leased or the last ones.
                      Thanks very much for your insight, much appreciated. Both of these two flats including mine are from 2004, perhaps for the first ones leased

So the plan I hv outlined above ok to go ahead and
                      will it get resolved in my favour? Thanks

Comment

Certainly go to lease advice first, as it is free. For the rest, I'm not sure if it is better in terms of going to the FTT first, or going to the Crown Court and having them redirect to FTT. It will depend on exactly how the FTT's fees are handled if you win. Obviously, if you lose, you risk all the fees. and the other side's court costs.

Comment

Thanks , will update soon

Comment

Update: The Leasehold Advisory Service said to give the Company another 2 wks to respond, if they do not engage to resolve/recalculate service charges- I should follow the formal complaint process via Ombudsman and or go via First tier property tribunal.

Comment

so I see no way you could be charged 3% of total, however you interpret your lease.
                              But he is not being charged 3% of the total.

£1969.93/£188,912 = 1.042%

Which is about correct albeit the exact apportioning into the 0.99% band vs 1.1% band is a little hard to follow.

about 100 flats and he is paying about 100th

There may be something off here but it looks like a matter of pennies here not tens of thousands.

Comment

It wasn't clear from his wording of what the percentages were, which is why I asked for real numbers. The amount of stake here isn't pennies, but £412.59 in the year for which the example was provided. The OP is saying that the whole of the last section in the bill doesn't apply to them.

I'm still not convinced that this whole thing is not the result of failing to explain an attempt to handle inconsistent leases properly, given that I see nothing in the wording of the lease which means the OP is not liable for the items in the last category.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Appointing a manager - Manager Recommendations Sought
                                  by Stan_18
                                  Hi all, any help appreciated.

I am considering applying to the FTT to have a manger appointed due to ongoing failure of my freeholder to uphold covenants of the lease (currently the gutters are blocked and causing damage to my property, no reply from freeholder).

Context...
                                  15-12-2019, 21:43 PM
                                • Reply to Appointing a manager - Manager Recommendations Sought
                                  by Gordon999
                                  Consult a local letting agent in your town to find a local person to manage your little block. Or do it yourself .

If the problem is a blocked gutter it must be the down pipe that need clearing ( window cleaner may be the person with a ladder ) or replace the plastic pipe.
                                  15-12-2019, 23:53 PM
                                • Reply to 18-month rule and invalid demands
                                  by MartynSE5
                                  Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.
                                  15-12-2019, 18:06 PM
                                • 18-month rule and invalid demands
                                  by MartynSE5
                                  I would appreciate opinions on this situation, please:

- Demands for service charge and ground rent for 2018 were sent in December 2017
                                  - Delays in auditing accounts for 2018 caused the landlord's agent to send 20b notices in June 2019, predicting a £30k shortfall
                                  14-12-2019, 05:54 AM
                                • Reply to Problem with Service Charge Demands
                                  by bigalxyz
                                  Thank you.

Now...I've just discovered something which might muddy the waters. The guy who was previously:
                                  (a) director of the RMC
                                  (b) owner of the proprerty management company appointed by the RMC
                                  (c) the freeholder

...it would appear is not really...
                                  15-12-2019, 13:20 PM
                                • Problem with Service Charge Demands
                                  by bigalxyz
                                  Recently appointed director of RMC, self-managing for the first time. Having a problem recovering 2019H2 service charge (the 2019H2 demand was issued by the previous external property manager) from one leaseholder, who believes that the demand was not issued in accordance with the law but is refusing...
                                  14-12-2019, 14:13 PM
                                  by leaseholder64
                                  The only part of L&T 87 referring to invoices is the section 47, already referenced above.

Can you confirm that you gave the full name and residential or registered office address of the landlord.

Although not L&T 87, did you give the registered office address, and...
                                  15-12-2019, 12:32 PM
                                  by bigalxyz
                                  I reissued the invoice yesterday - I included the freeholder's name and address, included the "summary of rights and obligations" documents, I sent everything by email but also printed out and posted, and I removed the ground rent part (ref: discussions about combined demands).

15-12-2019, 09:21 AM
                                • Reply to 18-month rule and invalid demands
                                  by Macromia
                                  It is still not possible to answer your question - and it may not be possible to provide an answer until you have actually received a demand for the final sum.

It sounds like your service charges are accounted for using calendar years, so the year in question runs from 1-Jan-2108 to 31-Dec-2018...
                                  15-12-2019, 07:54 AM
                                • Opinion on advice to landlord from its agent
                                  by MartynSE5
                                  I am one of four directors of a limited company that owns a building where the company has 67 long leases, and the company's affairs are managed by an agent.

Our agent asked for our approval to write an aggressive letter to our leaseholders, enforcing a particular covenant and threatening...
                                  14-12-2019, 20:18 PM
                                Working...
                                X