Selling flat as a freeholder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling flat as a freeholder

I own the freehold to my building and also one of the flats. The other flat has no interest in becoming a shared freeholder unfortunately so that isn't an option.

I am selling my flat which is held on a 61-year lease. Is it best to grant a new lease to the buyer or extend on completion? Unfortunately, as I own the freehold and leasehold in the same name, I cannot do anything to the lease until the leasehold is sold.

If granting a new lease, obviously it shouldn't conflict with the neighbour's existing lease. Will buyer's solicitor not ask questions regarding old style clauses such as "maintenance charge shared based on value of each property"?

Hi Eshroom

You will be able to sell your flat for MUCH more if you extend the lease. I appreciate you cannot create a deed to yourself hence your comment. However, all you need to do is transfer a percentage of your lease to another person as Tenants in Common (even 1% suffices). You will then not be the same party and, as freeholder, be able to grant a lease extension. To keep it simple you do not need to change any of the existing lease terms except the expiry term. The new lease will refer to the terms of the old lease.

To make your flat even more attractive to a potential buyer you may want to extend the lease for longer than typical extensions. You can go up to 999 years.

Are you intending to keep the freehold (it doesn't sound as though you want to keep all of it)? If not, you could consider selling the freehold too. But don't forget to follow RFR rules even though the other leaseholder is not interested in buying the freehold.

See the LEASE website for further information on RFR.

Best to speak to a solicitor re first para if you decide to consider extending your lease prior to sale.

Comment

Hi vmart. Thanks for the response. I already have a sale agreed on the basis of a lease with 250 years. I understand I cannot lease to myself and so cannot touch the lease right now, but surely as freeholder I can simply sell the flat with a new lease? i.e. new lease registered to new owner upon completion, made out between me (freeholder) and the new owner?

Comment

That can all be done at the time of the transfer. The solicitors for each party will deal with it so long as you instruct your solicitor to effect the extension at the time of sale.

Comment

Ah ok. Gotscha. So it would be a lease extension rather than granting a new lease altogether?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Info Licence to assign
            by sfriziona
            Hi,

I am selling my flat in London , we are looking to exchange by the end of the week but the buyer solicitor asked for a Licence to assign the lease.
            The freeholder doesn't have a solicitor and he asked me to produce one for his review and he will sign it, but I cannot find any...
            20-11-2019, 06:47 AM
          • Reply to Info Licence to assign
            by leaseholder64
            Quite a lot of the question on the LPE1 enquiry form could be answered from the lease!
            21-11-2019, 14:17 PM
            by sfriziona
            Thank you again, I'll question my solicitor and see what he has to says.
            This means that he hasn't even read the lease......
            21-11-2019, 13:21 PM
          • Reply to Man Co adding Percentage to Major Works
            by leaseholder64
            The project management is more than a few phone calls. It should involve:

- writing a detailed specification;
            - reviewing the responses;
            - vetting contractors, for competence, safety and financial stability;
            - managing health and safety;
            - running the section 20...
            21-11-2019, 12:35 PM
          • Man Co adding Percentage to Major Works
            by Magnus
            The Management Company has issued a S20 with costs for the Major Works. However they have added 7.5% Management Fee.

The Lease states - Service Costs: the sums spent by the Management Company of and incidental to the observance and performance of the covenants on the part of the Management...
            21-11-2019, 08:04 AM
            by leaseholder64
            Generally, if you have a management company separate from the freeholder, it is a not-for-profit, owned by the leaseholders. Such companies are normally set up to allow the freeholder to get the income and gains from their investment, without the messy, and risky business, of having to maintain and...
            21-11-2019, 12:11 PM
            by Magnus
            Definitely a Management Company.

Just with the "sums spent" seems to rule out a percentage base. No problem paying if they have made a few phone calls and met with Surveyors and Contractors. But 7.5% equals about 20k. And there is no way they have conducted 20ks worth of extra...
            21-11-2019, 11:18 AM
          • Collective enfranchisement - additional cost of airspace lease
            by Lorimer
            Wondering if anyone can advise on whether and how much a 999 year lease of airspace with a ground rent of £1,500 per annum, rising by £100.00 per annum every 15 years will impact on the premium we are likely to pay to buy the freehold of our building?

The background:
            We have been...
            16-11-2019, 07:49 AM
          • Reply to Collective enfranchisement - additional cost of airspace lease
            by Lorimer
            Any idea where you saw this? I have been asking both valuers and solicitors this question and they have differing views - some of them say that the value of the ground rent reserved in the airspace lease WILL be factored into the premium that we pay for the freehold - others saying that it is only if...
            21-11-2019, 11:13 AM
            by Lawcruncher
            I have read the lease and there is no requirement to obtain the landlord's consent - except during the last seven years of the term which have not yet arrived.
            21-11-2019, 10:58 AM
          Working...
          X