Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder needs help!

Hello.

Two years ago​ I bought the freehold of a house which is comprised of two freehold flats - mine on the ground floor which is currently rented out through an agency, and a first-floor flat which currently pays £100 a year ground rent. Now the first-floor flat owner wishes to extend his lease (which was last extended by 99 years 10 years ago) by 90 years and is offering just under £6500. Does that sound reasonable? If it is, what should I do next? Ask for my own valuation anyway? Will I need to get a solicitor to do all the formalities? If yes, will all my costs be definitely covered by the freeholder?
    Finally, any recommendations with regards to Valuers and/or solicitors?
    Thanks in advance for any help and information.

Sorry, that should be "two LEASEHOLD flats".

Comment

Did you also mean extended to, rather than by, 99 years and that the leaseholder would pay the costs.

Comment

The schedule says "99 years from December 2009".

Also, in case it's important, the property is in North London, N17.

Comment

I'm presuming that the leaseholder would pay the costs?

Comment

The leaseholder is asking for a lease extension using the informal route. The first step is a valuation by a RICs qualified surveyor (see the RICs website). The surveyor may also negotiate with the leaseholder on your behalf. The landlord's valuation is paid by the leaseholder and you can request this fee in advance; make it clear it is not refundable should the extension not go ahead for any reason. Assuming agreement is reached, the leaseholder is also responsible for the landlord's legal costs. It is up to you to decide what to offer with regard to terms, premium and any changes to ground rent via the informal route. The leaseholder does not need to agree and could instead elect to use the statutory route to extend their lease provided they have owned the lease for at least two years.

The statutory route will add +90 years to the lease and reduce ground rent to peppercorn (nil). The leaseholder will still be liable for landlord's reasonable valuation/legal costs and will also incur fees to apply to the FTT for a determination of the premium.

You will find information on LEASE's website. There is also a lease extension calculator which provides an idea of premiums but cannot be relied upon or used in court.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• collective enfranchisement
              by flyingfreehold
              Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
              21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
            • Reply to collective enfranchisement
              by flyingfreehold
              at risk of answering my own question, the leaseholder has to prove title which is a bit difficult if not registered........
              21-05-2022, 21:23 PM
            • Reply to Building works & S20 process
              by scot22
              It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
              21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
            • Building works & S20 process
              by RichA
              Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
              21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
            • Reply to collective enfranchisement
              by Tipper
              Ask lease-advice.org
              21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
            • Reply to Levy
              by scot22
              Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
              21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
            • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
              by Macromia
              They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
              21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
            • Changes to lease wording
              by bigalxyz
              In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

“Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
              14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
            • Reply to Changes to lease wording
              by Lawcruncher
              If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
              21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
            • Reply to Levy
              by Macromia
              ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
              21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
            Working...
            X