Management director flat roof issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Management director flat roof issue

Hello all, here is my first post here. Sorry its a bit long..
    To give you some background I have a 2 bed maisonette flat in Herts, England that I have rented out for last 7 yrs.

Recently after the long term tenant vacated, I am performing some maintenance to the flat.

This flat has a flat roof. In the upstairs bathroom and toilet there are two skylights in the ceiling to provide additional light as there are no windows. These are approx 50 yrs old skylights that have plastic square window on top of a metal up-stand. In the side of each upstand (in effect a 30cm deep window frame) there are two vents. These two skylights were in very poor condition , with very rusty upstands and rotten wooden frames that hold the plastic window on, also all vents jammed or broken. I have arranged with maintenance company director that these will be replaced by management company funds (that we all have a share in with monthly fees, fyi we are also all freeholders). they are also replacing the original windows too - all good even if it has taken 3 months to get this approved.

Also as part of my work to update and improve the property I have it fully rewired to modern spec. The electrician fitted feeds and all relevant wiring to fit electric hardwired ventilation fans. I proposed to the maintenance company that i would like to fit to the roof two small fan flues out to the roof as the new roof windows wont have vents in the side (roofer told me that the upstands will be fabricated from wood this time). And that this could be done when skylights are being replaced. I have been told categorically that "the roof is sacred and any modification will invalidate the roofs warranty, and that it will never happen " The roofer who is fitting the new skylights has no issue with fitting these two extra flues and I have even offered to pay for them myself. Interestingly i have seen other extract flues on the roof that other flats have fitted in the past and when I approached the director he said "they should not of done that and that they are now responsible for their own roofs." The trouble is the flat is 4 stories high and needs scaffolding to replace windows, work on the roof etc. There is also no other roof access that i know of unless scaffolding or a very long ladder is used...

My question is can the director actually deny me modern ventilation? What are my options ? hope I can pay the roofer to "just do it" when the scaffolding is erected or try to force the management company to accept it is a modern sensible option? I'd rather be upfront but feel that the director (who has always been difficult and rude) will not accept this work. Where do i stand and start? thx

Most private sector leases do not allow the service charge to be used to pay for improvement. At the moment, it looks to me as though they must refuse, unless you pay 100% of the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
      Most private sector leases do not allow the service charge to be used to pay for improvement. At the moment, it looks to me as though they must refuse, unless you pay 100% of the cost.
      I don't think this is what OP is asking. OP is willing to pay - that is not the issue. The issue is whether OP can make modification to the structure of the building which might have other ramifications for later maintenance in order that OP can avoid "being denied modern ventilation".

The problem is who bears the cost of any later problems to roof which could be remotely linked to OPs modification. OP has been been told categorically that "the roof is sacred and any modification will invalidate the roofs warranty".

I think the answer is that OP cannot unilaterally carry out works on a building that does not belong to the OP. I suppose OP could do as suggested and take over responsibility for their own roofs - which would apply to the other lessees as well.

Comment

Hi all, for info, there is no one freeholder, we all own the freehold of the building. So I have a share of the roof technically already.,.. Not sure if this effects things or not.

Comment

Of what is the director a director, if not the freeholder? A tripartite lease with the leaseholders owning the freehold and separately controlling a management company seems to be somewhat over the top,although I suppose it could happen through enfranchisement.

If you are tenants in common, you will need to make unanimous decisions on anything that is a freeholder decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdry View Post
            Hi all, for info, there is no one freeholder, we all own the freehold of the building. So I have a share of the roof technically already.,.. Not sure if this effects things or not.
            You don't have a share of the roof. You have a share in the ownership of the entity that owns the roof. If I own shares in Tesco, that does not mean I own any rights to some beans on a shelf

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Info Licence to assign
              by sfriziona
              Hi,

I am selling my flat in London , we are looking to exchange by the end of the week but the buyer solicitor asked for a Licence to assign the lease.
              The freeholder doesn't have a solicitor and he asked me to produce one for his review and he will sign it, but I cannot find any...
              20-11-2019, 06:47 AM
            • Reply to Info Licence to assign
              by sfriziona
              Thank you again, I'll question my solicitor and see what he has to says.
              This means that he hasn't even read the lease......
              21-11-2019, 13:21 PM
            • Man Co adding Percentage to Major Works
              by Magnus
              The Management Company has issued a S20 with costs for the Major Works. However they have added 7.5% Management Fee.

The Lease states - Service Costs: the sums spent by the Management Company of and incidental to the observance and performance of the covenants on the part of the Management...
              21-11-2019, 08:04 AM
            • Reply to Man Co adding Percentage to Major Works
              by leaseholder64
              The project management is more than a few phone calls. It should involve:

- writing a detailed specification;
              - reviewing the responses;
              - vetting contractors, for competence, safety and financial stability;
              - managing health and safety;
              - running the section 20...
              21-11-2019, 12:35 PM
              by leaseholder64
              Generally, if you have a management company separate from the freeholder, it is a not-for-profit, owned by the leaseholders. Such companies are normally set up to allow the freeholder to get the income and gains from their investment, without the messy, and risky business, of having to maintain and...
              21-11-2019, 12:11 PM
              by Magnus
              Definitely a Management Company.

Just with the "sums spent" seems to rule out a percentage base. No problem paying if they have made a few phone calls and met with Surveyors and Contractors. But 7.5% equals about 20k. And there is no way they have conducted 20ks worth of extra...
              21-11-2019, 11:18 AM
            • Collective enfranchisement - additional cost of airspace lease
              by Lorimer
              Wondering if anyone can advise on whether and how much a 999 year lease of airspace with a ground rent of £1,500 per annum, rising by £100.00 per annum every 15 years will impact on the premium we are likely to pay to buy the freehold of our building?

The background:
              We have been...
              16-11-2019, 07:49 AM
            • Reply to Collective enfranchisement - additional cost of airspace lease
              by Lorimer
              Any idea where you saw this? I have been asking both valuers and solicitors this question and they have differing views - some of them say that the value of the ground rent reserved in the airspace lease WILL be factored into the premium that we pay for the freehold - others saying that it is only if...
              21-11-2019, 11:13 AM
            • Reply to Info Licence to assign
              by Lawcruncher
              I have read the lease and there is no requirement to obtain the landlord's consent - except during the last seven years of the term which have not yet arrived.
              21-11-2019, 10:58 AM
            • Is management company Responsible for window repair?
              by Tugbeer
              I own a flat where damaged rendering has resulted in serious rot to a window and sill. This is something that must have been deteriorating over many years but I first became aware when i opened the window and the bottom part of the frame came away in my hand. As a temporary measure I've fixed it down...
              21-11-2019, 09:44 AM
            Working...
            X