Management agency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Management agency

Hi, I am new to all this so apologies if my question is not appropriate.

I am in the process of buying a leasehold flat. It would seem that the freeholder is totally inadequate and has given responsibility informally to two of the leaseholders to self manage. This they seem to have done extremely well.
    My problem is that one of the leaseholders is also my vendor which now means the management agency is down to one person and he has admitted he will be there a maximum of 5 years. What happen if there is no one to take over? Can the freeholder take back control and put the service charge up disproportionately?

thanks in anticipation

If you are not happy walk away. Leasehold can be a nightmare.
    The freeholder in this situation can take back control at anytime.However, he must be reasonable with any charges or you can take action against him.
    How keen are you to buy ? With support from other leaseholders you can get Right to Manage. I suspect there is generally a lack of commitment or the current situation would not have been accepted. Best Wishes

Comment

The freeholder can appoint other leaseholders ( including yourself ) to self manage or leaseholders could invite another external company to become managing agent . Its not very difficult for you to learn about self management for a small block .

Comment

Thank you, although I have reservations I feel it is such a good flat and we are so near the end of the transaction, which has been painfully slow, I am torn. I just wanted some advice on the sort of powers the freeholder would have in such instances.

thanks again

Comment

If you really like the flat then it's worth the effort. I suggest having a look at the LEASE website to find out more about leasing. You get free qualified legal advice and I have always found them excellent.

Comment

I will do thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Licence to Alter
              vmart
              Should the leaseholder be given the original signed copy of a Licence to Alter (LTA)? Our landlord created a deed (LTA) to provide us with permission for work we are planning but we were given a photo copy of the completed document but think we should retain the original.

Thank you.
              21-10-2019, 09:48 AM
            • Reply to Licence to Alter
              Lawcruncher
              In fact all you need is a copy signed by the landlord.

When lawyers deal with licences they are usually executed as "part and counterpart" - that is the landlord signs one part and the tenant another. When everyone is ready the parts are exchanged. The landlord then has a part...
              22-10-2019, 08:45 AM
              vmart
              Thank you.
              22-10-2019, 08:28 AM
            • Freeholder permission and checks
              c118
              We have recently purchased a maisonette leasehold and the entire freehold of the building (one other flat on the ground floor). In regards to freehold permission for a conservatory extension, are there any resources online that advise what checks should be completed/information required prior to permission...
              21-10-2019, 08:10 AM
            • Reply to Freeholder permission and checks
              vmart
              Given that this is not your area of expertise, why not talk to a surveyor to manage the discussions/project for you at the leaseholder's cost....
              22-10-2019, 08:27 AM
              ram
              No need to put "the deed is signed in duplicate".
              You could have 200 originals, but you still only have authorisation to carry out alterations once, and for the prescribed alteration.
              22-10-2019, 08:20 AM
              vmart
              Thank you all for your replies. Therefore, I will ask the landlord to arrange for us to execute the deed again and we all sign both copies. Should the licence specifically state "the deed is signed in duplicate" or similar wording or is the current deed OK in this respect?

Thank...
              22-10-2019, 08:05 AM
            • FTT decisions
              vmart
              Is there any rule regarding the time a decision must be received from the FTT?

Thank you.
              21-10-2019, 09:43 AM
            • Reply to FTT decisions
              vmart
              Thank you all for your replies....
              22-10-2019, 08:01 AM
              ram
              There should have been 2 originals, and you all sign the two.
              One for the landlord and one for the tenant..
              Thats the way it should have been done.
              22-10-2019, 07:34 AM
            Working...
            X