Issue with Freeholder not varying my lease individually

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with Freeholder not varying my lease individually

I got permission from my freeholder in April 2018 and again in May 2019 to undertake internal reconfiguration works and subsequently let (what was a 2 bedroom maisonette) as a 3 room HMO. The flat in question is the first and second floor of a converted house containing 2 flats in total. The works are now complete and cost £60 000. I have a HMO license from the local council and a Certificate of Lawful development for the change of use from (C3 to C4). My solicitor informed me that in order to refinance my property I will need a lease variation adding the HMO use class. When I approached the freeholder to facilitate this his solicitor advised him that both leases's will need to be varied. Another solicitor told me that only my lease needs to be varied as the downstairs has no grounding to sue for breach of lease if the freeholder has granted me the additional use class within a lease variation. However, the freeholders solicitor remains firm in her view that both leases's must be varied. I spoke with the leaseholder downstairs who has forwarded the proposal to his solicitor as he has no experience of these matters; although he did express concern about the affect of having a HMO above him and the potential negative affect on re-sale. What options do I have available if the other leaseholder is unwilling to have his lease varied and the freeholder withdraws the consent to let as a HMO (he has currently done this pending the downstairs leaseholders agreement to the variation?) Can I take action against him for having initially agreed the change of use? I will be facing real financial hardship if I can not let the property as a HMO after spending considerable money on the works and evicting the tenants.

We'd need to see both leases. It is possible that the other flats lease contains a covenant from the freeholder requiring them to enforce equivalent terms in your lease. If that is the case, the freeholder would be in breach of the other lease, if they made your lease different.

Comment

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I have had both leases looked at by a solicitor who has said they are pretty much the same. The only thing they picked up on with the other lease was a covenant stating they could enforce action against the freeholder if the other leaseholder (me) was using the property outside of the appointed use class (single family dwelling in this case). I would be happy to send you a copy of my lease and can order a copy of the other properties lease if that helps.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Licence to Alter
        vmart
        Should the leaseholder be given the original signed copy of a Licence to Alter (LTA)? Our landlord created a deed (LTA) to provide us with permission for work we are planning but we were given a photo copy of the completed document but think we should retain the original.

Thank you.
        21-10-2019, 09:48 AM
      • Reply to Licence to Alter
        Lawcruncher
        In fact all you need is a copy signed by the landlord.

When lawyers deal with licences they are usually executed as "part and counterpart" - that is the landlord signs one part and the tenant another. When everyone is ready the parts are exchanged. The landlord then has a part...
        22-10-2019, 08:45 AM
        vmart
        Thank you.
        22-10-2019, 08:28 AM
      • Freeholder permission and checks
        c118
        We have recently purchased a maisonette leasehold and the entire freehold of the building (one other flat on the ground floor). In regards to freehold permission for a conservatory extension, are there any resources online that advise what checks should be completed/information required prior to permission...
        21-10-2019, 08:10 AM
      • Reply to Freeholder permission and checks
        vmart
        Given that this is not your area of expertise, why not talk to a surveyor to manage the discussions/project for you at the leaseholder's cost....
        22-10-2019, 08:27 AM
        ram
        No need to put "the deed is signed in duplicate".
        You could have 200 originals, but you still only have authorisation to carry out alterations once, and for the prescribed alteration.
        22-10-2019, 08:20 AM
        vmart
        Thank you all for your replies. Therefore, I will ask the landlord to arrange for us to execute the deed again and we all sign both copies. Should the licence specifically state "the deed is signed in duplicate" or similar wording or is the current deed OK in this respect?

Thank...
        22-10-2019, 08:05 AM
      • FTT decisions
        vmart
        Is there any rule regarding the time a decision must be received from the FTT?

Thank you.
        21-10-2019, 09:43 AM
      • Reply to FTT decisions
        vmart
        Thank you all for your replies....
        22-10-2019, 08:01 AM
        ram
        There should have been 2 originals, and you all sign the two.
        One for the landlord and one for the tenant..
        Thats the way it should have been done.
        22-10-2019, 07:34 AM
      Working...
      X