RTM Director has become a Dictator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RTM Director has become a Dictator

Owning a a flat for many years self managed by the residents, 10 flats, 1 director. Last year a new couple bought in and put themselves forward as directors, we all agreed as we wanted to welcome them. Since then they have forced out the previous director with allegations of mismanagement, spent company funds on trivial matters yet the roof still leaks and now refuse to share the bank statements with all shareholders stating GDPR wont allow this. Any professionals in the Brighton area fancy some moonlighting tomorrow evening (shareholders meeting) ??

If it is an RTM, they must provide access to current accounting records to all members, although they can redact confidential information. GDPR is a sub-set of confidential.

However, in general, the only options for such circumstances, are to vote the directors out of office, for which you need to give 28 days notice, so you can't do it at tomorrow's meeting, or to appoint a manager, which is difficult and will be expensive. You might be also be able to swamp the board with better directors, if the meeting agenda covers appointment of directors.

Comment

thank you - something to think about
      before we had a surplus of around 12K, now we dont have enough to pay contractors, they repainted the exterior of the building advising a council inspector happened to be passing bye and mentioned it was the wrong shade of magnolia (the building is not listed) and the previous shade exactly matched the building next door
      I also suspect they have drawn monies for damp proofing works in their own property (circa £3000) without a vote, they sent out an email to all owners that they would proceed with works if the majority agreed, I stayed silent as (i know mistake) but as works went into several thousand pounds I assumed unless we had unanimous agreement S20 notices would have to be served

Comment

Section 20 is needed regardless. There is no provisions for 100% majorities.

Was charging for the work permitted by the lease? (Did they simply shift priorities to favour themselves, or to they misappropriate money for work they were supposed to pay for?)

Comment

Thats why I am so keen to see the bank statements, I have been requesting them over and over again for months
          they respond with GDPR but I am sure they have taken funds,
          at a previous meeting everyone raised issues that they had paid for, including £1500 for new flooring in my property due to roof leak (i had huge puddles in my living room) at that meeting I proposed we all write off our losses and start afresh but I am assuming they have taken £3000 (the old director mentioned this but no longer has acess to the bank account, although they previously mentioned £1200 for works in their basement flat 1 year ago)

sorry for rambling but it really makes my blood boil

Comment

15 years ownership with no major issues now new people seem to be looking out for themselves

Comment

but thank you,

very valuable to know section 20 notices are required regardless

Comment

Many management companies are ignoring s20, it is toothless, so it is not worth pursuing.

Your best option is to appoint new directors so that you have a majority vote in the board room, The new directors can then investigate your concerns.

Comment

I remember Brighton & Hove has a leaseholders association ( or did have monthly meetings ) where free advice could be obtained.

Spending of annual service charge for maintenance of the building requires annual summary of expenditure to be supplied to each leaseholder after 6 months from end of the reporting year. Its not information covered under data protection .

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Licence to Alter
                    vmart
                    Should the leaseholder be given the original signed copy of a Licence to Alter (LTA)? Our landlord created a deed (LTA) to provide us with permission for work we are planning but we were given a photo copy of the completed document but think we should retain the original.

Thank you.
                    21-10-2019, 09:48 AM
                  • Reply to Licence to Alter
                    vmart
                    Thank you all for your replies. Therefore, I will ask the landlord to arrange for us to execute the deed again and we all sign both copies. Should the licence specifically state "the deed is signed in duplicate" or similar wording or is the current deed OK in this respect?

Thank...
                    22-10-2019, 08:05 AM
                  • FTT decisions
                    vmart
                    Is there any rule regarding the time a decision must be received from the FTT?

Thank you.
                    21-10-2019, 09:43 AM
                  • Reply to FTT decisions
                    vmart
                    Thank you all for your replies....
                    22-10-2019, 08:01 AM
                    ram
                    There should have been 2 originals, and you all sign the two.
                    One for the landlord and one for the tenant..
                    Thats the way it should have been done.
                    22-10-2019, 07:34 AM
                    Lawcruncher
                    A licence is a consent to do something and you give the original to the person who needs the consent.
                    21-10-2019, 23:37 PM
                  • Reply to FTT decisions
                    HazeltonLane
                    We just went through the process for a straightforward application to vary leases under Section 35 (paper determination). Ours took four months from application to receipt of decision.
                    21-10-2019, 22:58 PM
                  • Case law damp
                    scot22
                    I know I've posted many times on this subject, apologies.
                    The issue is tanking first floor flat where none has existed. External wall has been carefully maintained. I have searched but not able to find any cases.
                    Also could freeholder be liable for any internal work such as plaster....
                    01-10-2019, 09:04 AM
                  • Reply to Case law damp
                    scot22
                    Being concerned for people's well being I will do my utmost not to post anything else on the subject. Nearly everyone is completely fed up with the unfounded claim. I appreciate every contribution that has been given.
                    There are people fixated on their own opinion. Trying to forget about hi...
                    21-10-2019, 20:15 PM
                  • Reply to Case law damp
                    leaseholder64
                    Gordon999 You need to read all Scot's postings on this subject to get the big picture.
                    21-10-2019, 19:25 PM
                  Working...
                  X