X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request to appeal an FTT decision

Hello there

I hope someone can help with answers to the following questions:

1) Where one has legal grounds to appeal an FTT decision, is there a specific form or do you just write to the court providing grounds and requesting leave to appeal within the time limit?
    2) Is there a fee to pay?
    3) Do you have to be legally represented in an Upper Tribunal?

On a different topic, I noticed I am now recorded in LLZ as a senior member. What are the criteria to become a senior member? Just interested.

Thank you in anticipation of your responses.

You need permission from the FTT in order to appeal against a decision and you should contact the FTT stating your grounds for appeal. The FTT will then either consent to or deny the appeal. There would be a fee payable to the Upper Tribunal, details of which would be sent to you if the appeal is allowed. You are not strictly required to have legal representation but the other side will almost certainly be represented by Counsel and normally it would be better to be represented.

Comment

The article in the link below describes how you can appeal FTT decisions, including a link to a form that can be used.
      http://www.flat-living.co.uk/advice/...-an-ftt-appeal

'Senior Member' on forums like this (or similar 'titles') are usually based on nothing more than the number of posts that a member has made (but may also be linked to length of membership on some forums).

Comment

Dear all

Thank you.

Comment

Clerical errors can be corrected by the FTT, so it is worth reading carefully the decision and checking that the figures have been adjusted correctly. Sometimes it will fail to amend a figure or calculate the adjustment incorrectly. In these cases, a simple request to the Tribunal will result in an amended decision being issued.

Legal grounds for raising an appeal are more unusual now that a Judge usually chairs the hearing and the decision is checked centrally before it is issued, that is why it takes approximately 6 weeks for it to be issued. If there is an interesting point of law, the Tribunal will allow an appeal but it will refuse an appeal if it considers that there is no likely chance of success.

Comment

The Tribunal lists the legislation which it has considered when making its decision, so an appeal on legal grounds would need to be based on (1) an incorrect interpretation of the legislation which is unlikely if a Judge or legal expert was on the panel (2) other legislation which it has not considered or (3) specific case law which was not brought to its attention.

Comment

Thank you all for further helpful input.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Doubling rent
                SandraHope
                My solicitor has strongly advised me against purchasing a flat as it has just come to light that the recently renewed lease has had its ground rent increased 100% and it is also on a doubling basis. My solicitor has advised us that mortgage companies are becoming more reluctant to offer mortgages on...
                16-10-2019, 19:31 PM
              • Reply to Doubling rent
                michelle230
                Good to know if you have children/grandchildren, you'll be more than happy for them to purchase these traps. At least * someone * will be lucky enough to escape and pass on the burden....
                17-10-2019, 17:21 PM
              • Reply to Doubling rent
                michelle230
                Gordon999 Spot on!...
                17-10-2019, 17:16 PM
              • Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
                uoeno
                Hello. I am the owner of a residential apartment, which I use as my main residence, which is managed by a property management company, to whom I pay a monthly service fee, and a residents management company, of which the PMC is one of the directors. The freehold of the land is owned and managed by a...
                15-10-2019, 15:50 PM
              • Reply to Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
                Jon66
                Perhaps you would be better off finding a more suitable property as clearly this one is no longer suitable. By the sounds of it, all parties would see this as a good solution.

Just because your circumstances change, trying to bend the lease to suit this is probably not the best way of...
                17-10-2019, 15:40 PM
              • Reply to Doubling rent
                Gordon999
                Many older properties were sold on 99 years lease term and small annual ground rent which doubled after every 33 years.

The problem with 99 years leasehold property , the mortgage lenders are reluctant to offer mortgage loan below 70 years terms . The cost to seek lease extension when...
                17-10-2019, 15:36 PM
              • Reply to Doubling rent
                michelle230
                Untrue. Who said * all * rising ground rents are a problem. Onerous ground rent terms are. As lenders acknowledge. Hence them not lending. Hence sales falling through. Hence many trapped in unsaleable homes....
                17-10-2019, 15:21 PM
              • Reply to Doubling rent
                sgclacy
                It was lender knee jerk reaction to the problems of 10 year doublers.

The lenders may themselves find that they could be "hoist with his own petard" if lessees abandon their properties for being un-mortageable...
                17-10-2019, 14:36 PM
              • Reply to Doubling rent
                leaseholder64
                One problem with setting arbitrary hard limits is that you end up with something like the interesting number paradox, and any ground rent at all becomes unsafe!
                17-10-2019, 14:27 PM
              • Reply to Doubling rent
                sgclacy
                Totally agree and the following article shows the problems those that talk hysterically about rising ground rents can cause

https://www.mortgagesolutions.co.uk/...rules-procter/

If a ground rent was say £1000...
                17-10-2019, 14:10 PM
              Working...
              X