Shared outside tap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shared outside tap

I live in a first floor flat, with a strip of garden at the rear. There is currently an outside tap on the side of the house which is only accessible by one ground floor flat.
    I want to install an outside tap on the "communal" side of the house, so that we five flats who don't have direct access to the rear, can use a hose and maintain our strips of garden.
    My questions are :
    What is the best physical way to do this? Could we install a metre specifically for the outside tap, and would this be expensive or difficult?
    Or, we believe we can access a ground floor flat's water, fairly easily, but then the query is how to reimburse her for the water we use, which is soon to become metred?

Who pays for the water supply to that tap at the moment?

I suggest you use a watering can from your kitchen basin. A bodged arrangement will end in tears.

I suppose you could have a private meter with some arrangement - having the water board install a separate meter is going to be very expensive and will count as a separate supply with standing charges etc before it is even used.

Comment

Unless someone is using to, say, support a power washing business, the standing charge will be a lot more than the usage charge. The business use would be an abuse of a domestic tariff (at least Thames Water consider this sort of communal supply domestic).

Comment

I recommend that you try to agree a private arrangement with the leaseholder of the ground floor flat. That is much simpler and cost effective than trying to arrange a separate supply.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Licence to Alter
          vmart
          Should the leaseholder be given the original signed copy of a Licence to Alter (LTA)? Our landlord created a deed (LTA) to provide us with permission for work we are planning but we were given a photo copy of the completed document but think we should retain the original.

Thank you.
          21-10-2019, 09:48 AM
        • Reply to Licence to Alter
          ram
          No need to put "the deed is signed in duplicate".
          You could have 200 originals, but you still only have authorisation to carry out alterations once, and for the prescribed alteration.
          22-10-2019, 08:20 AM
          vmart
          Thank you all for your replies. Therefore, I will ask the landlord to arrange for us to execute the deed again and we all sign both copies. Should the licence specifically state "the deed is signed in duplicate" or similar wording or is the current deed OK in this respect?

Thank...
          22-10-2019, 08:05 AM
        • FTT decisions
          vmart
          Is there any rule regarding the time a decision must be received from the FTT?

Thank you.
          21-10-2019, 09:43 AM
        • Reply to FTT decisions
          vmart
          Thank you all for your replies....
          22-10-2019, 08:01 AM
          ram
          There should have been 2 originals, and you all sign the two.
          One for the landlord and one for the tenant..
          Thats the way it should have been done.
          22-10-2019, 07:34 AM
          Lawcruncher
          A licence is a consent to do something and you give the original to the person who needs the consent.
          21-10-2019, 23:37 PM
        • Reply to FTT decisions
          HazeltonLane
          We just went through the process for a straightforward application to vary leases under Section 35 (paper determination). Ours took four months from application to receipt of decision.
          21-10-2019, 22:58 PM
        • Case law damp
          scot22
          I know I've posted many times on this subject, apologies.
          The issue is tanking first floor flat where none has existed. External wall has been carefully maintained. I have searched but not able to find any cases.
          Also could freeholder be liable for any internal work such as plaster....
          01-10-2019, 09:04 AM
        • Reply to Case law damp
          scot22
          Being concerned for people's well being I will do my utmost not to post anything else on the subject. Nearly everyone is completely fed up with the unfounded claim. I appreciate every contribution that has been given.
          There are people fixated on their own opinion. Trying to forget about hi...
          21-10-2019, 20:15 PM
        Working...
        X