Shared outside tap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shared outside tap

I live in a first floor flat, with a strip of garden at the rear. There is currently an outside tap on the side of the house which is only accessible by one ground floor flat.
    I want to install an outside tap on the "communal" side of the house, so that we five flats who don't have direct access to the rear, can use a hose and maintain our strips of garden.
    My questions are :
    What is the best physical way to do this? Could we install a metre specifically for the outside tap, and would this be expensive or difficult?
    Or, we believe we can access a ground floor flat's water, fairly easily, but then the query is how to reimburse her for the water we use, which is soon to become metred?

Who pays for the water supply to that tap at the moment?

I suggest you use a watering can from your kitchen basin. A bodged arrangement will end in tears.

I suppose you could have a private meter with some arrangement - having the water board install a separate meter is going to be very expensive and will count as a separate supply with standing charges etc before it is even used.

Comment

Unless someone is using to, say, support a power washing business, the standing charge will be a lot more than the usage charge. The business use would be an abuse of a domestic tariff (at least Thames Water consider this sort of communal supply domestic).

Comment

I recommend that you try to agree a private arrangement with the leaseholder of the ground floor flat. That is much simpler and cost effective than trying to arrange a separate supply.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X