Service charge ground rent late payment - Admin charge and legal fees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
    6a is why you are in breach. The breach is having the debt at the 21 day point, not just having the debt.
    ...but will only apply if the service charges/ground rent were correctly demanded in line with current legal requirements.

Comment

I recommend that you check carefully whether or not the demands were issued correctly. I would do nothing else unless the cheque is returned to you, which I very much doubt, The freeholder will not succeed with a claim for forfeiture. If the agent maintains that you owe monies, you will need to contact the agent and give warning that unless the charges are withdrawn, you will make an application to the FTT, which will decide whether or not the charges are reasonable. There is no breach of the lease unless the FTT states otherwise and the FTT would decide whether or not the charges are reasonable.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Not admitting or agreeing to service charge
        Landlordintraining
        Hi all,

A very quick question,

I want to pay my service charge and then take the freeholder to the FTT. Can someone give me some advice on what wording I should use in my email to the freeholder so as not to admit or to agree to the service charges?

I was simply...
        23-10-2019, 16:08 PM
      • Reply to Not admitting or agreeing to service charge
        Macromia
        Copies of any letters, or emails, that you have which state that you disagree with charges can be used as evidence that payment wasn't an admission that the amounts demanded were payable/reasonable.

The wording of anything sent at the time of payment isn't particularly important - as long...
        23-10-2019, 20:56 PM
      • Licence to Alter
        vmart
        Should the leaseholder be given the original signed copy of a Licence to Alter (LTA)? Our landlord created a deed (LTA) to provide us with permission for work we are planning but we were given a photo copy of the completed document but think we should retain the original.

Thank you.
        21-10-2019, 09:48 AM
      • Reply to Licence to Alter
        vmart
        Dear Leaseholder 64

Thank you. Yes, but if all parties sign two copies at the same time during a meeting and exchange copies then I assume there is nothing else that needs to be done....
        23-10-2019, 18:28 PM
        AndrewDod
        Indeed but that may not apply to administration charges. I can't see any disadvantage to payment under protest anyway.

I suppose also that if the tenant is not wishing to pay because he has not been served properly or with statements of rights etc, payment might be taken as indicating that...
        23-10-2019, 16:42 PM
        AndrewDod
        "... nor should my payment be construed in any way as constituting my agreement that the charges levied are correctly calculated according to the lease."

You are not admitting or otherwise to anything

You could mention that you plan to take the matter to FTT. Make...
        23-10-2019, 16:41 PM
        leaseholder64
        Nothing should be necessary as the legislation says that paying does not constitute an admission that it was payable.
        23-10-2019, 16:39 PM
      • Action against surveyors handling s20 works
        amorgan
        Hi, we appointed surveyors to handle the s20 process for the Major Works that were needed to an estate we manage (purchased through RFR). We appointed them in December 2017. After lots of errors, oversights and unnecessary additions on their part we finally managed to get the scope of works agreed in...
        23-10-2019, 10:46 AM
      • Reply to Action against surveyors handling s20 works
        eagle2
        Any complaints should be referred initially to the surveyors. If you are unable to agree a course of action, they should have a dispute resolution service to which you can refer the complaint. Any tenders which were submitted in June 2018 are unlikely to apply today.

Many management companies...
        23-10-2019, 11:10 AM
      • S.20 works and difficult leaseholder
        Emilycarter
        Good morning
        How much detail around a quote is needed to be give to Leaseholders in an s.20 situation? I am a joint freeholder of a converted building with 5 flats. We have some h&s works to be carried out in communal area and are going through the s.20 process, via Managing Agent. Two leaseholders...
        22-10-2019, 15:51 PM
      Working...
      X