Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ambiguous lease

Hi all,

What are the options available if the lease is ambiguous in certain areas?

Thanks in advance for any information or guidance provided.

If you gave us a clue someone could try answer.

What sort of lease, what exactly is ambiguous, who is the person seeking "options"? Does every party to the lease want the ambiguity to be clarified? And so on....

Pretty much every contract on earth is ambiguous - if a lease says "though shalt not beat mats" - there is the question of the definition of a "mat", the definition of "beat", who is doing the beating....

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
      If you gave us a clue someone could try answer.
      Hi,

Thank you AndrewDod.

Covenant enforceable by the Lessor, Management Company and Lessees of other apartments states;

To use the property as a whole as a private residence used by the occupiers from time to time of the property or their visitors and (without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing) not to carry on or allow to be carried on any trade business or profession in or from the property and not to use or allow to be used the property for boarding or lodging save that the property may be used for serviced accommodation providing all necessary planning permissions are obtained.

Given the findings of Nemcova can't see how to use '........as a private residence' sits comfortably along side 'save that the property may be used for serviced accommodation.....'

Comment

I don't see this as ambiguous. It presents an alternative to a "private residence". The words "save that" pretty much abolish the rest of the paragraph in terms of that alternative.

There is the matter of definitions of terms of course, but AirBnB (if that is what you are worried about) would seem to be a prime example of "serviced accommodation".

Odd. But not ambiguous. The fact that "serviced accommodation" does not fit well with the first half seems to me not to matter give the "save that".

A bit like saying "You cannot have pets save that you can have a rottweiler"

Comment

I would suggest that "without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing" means that the private residence condition overrides all that follows. I don't see that serviced accommodation is restricted to hotel like arrangements.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
            I would suggest that "without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing" means that the private residence condition overrides all that follows. I don't see that serviced accommodation is restricted to hotel like arrangements.
            I respectfully disagree. "without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing" bars you from using the examples that follow to limit and reinterpret the application of the first part (not the converse). However the specific examples stand on their own as examples of things you can do.

"No animals shall be allowed on the bus, and, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, a guide dog is allowed."

Means that you can take a guide dog, but means that you cannot use the specific instance to inform the meaning of the word "animal".

It does not mean that you cannot take a guide dog.

and the "save that" makes the dissociation even clearer (albeit inconsistent)

"No animals shall be allowed on the bus, and, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, pigs are not allowed, save that a guide dog is allowed."

Comment

To get back to your original question -- Although I don't think it is ambiguous (it is a slight shambles which is not the same thing) - if you do think it ambiguous you can take it to FTT for a ruling. Where things are genuinely ambiguous the general rule is that they are interpreted in favour of the lessee (not the freeholder or other lessees).

Comment

Thank you both for the replies.

It appears to remain unclear however and I presume it would rely on further covenants within the lease if it did go to the FTT for a ruling.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Not admitting or agreeing to service charge
                  Landlordintraining
                  Hi all,

A very quick question,

I want to pay my service charge and then take the freeholder to the FTT. Can someone give me some advice on what wording I should use in my email to the freeholder so as not to admit or to agree to the service charges?

I was simply...
                  23-10-2019, 16:08 PM
                • Reply to Not admitting or agreeing to service charge
                  Macromia
                  Copies of any letters, or emails, that you have which state that you disagree with charges can be used as evidence that payment wasn't an admission that the amounts demanded were payable/reasonable.

The wording of anything sent at the time of payment isn't particularly important - as long...
                  23-10-2019, 20:56 PM
                • Licence to Alter
                  vmart
                  Should the leaseholder be given the original signed copy of a Licence to Alter (LTA)? Our landlord created a deed (LTA) to provide us with permission for work we are planning but we were given a photo copy of the completed document but think we should retain the original.

Thank you.
                  21-10-2019, 09:48 AM
                • Reply to Licence to Alter
                  vmart
                  Dear Leaseholder 64

Thank you. Yes, but if all parties sign two copies at the same time during a meeting and exchange copies then I assume there is nothing else that needs to be done....
                  23-10-2019, 18:28 PM
                  AndrewDod
                  Indeed but that may not apply to administration charges. I can't see any disadvantage to payment under protest anyway.

I suppose also that if the tenant is not wishing to pay because he has not been served properly or with statements of rights etc, payment might be taken as indicating that...
                  23-10-2019, 16:42 PM
                  AndrewDod
                  "... nor should my payment be construed in any way as constituting my agreement that the charges levied are correctly calculated according to the lease."

You are not admitting or otherwise to anything

You could mention that you plan to take the matter to FTT. Make...
                  23-10-2019, 16:41 PM
                  leaseholder64
                  Nothing should be necessary as the legislation says that paying does not constitute an admission that it was payable.
                  23-10-2019, 16:39 PM
                • Action against surveyors handling s20 works
                  amorgan
                  Hi, we appointed surveyors to handle the s20 process for the Major Works that were needed to an estate we manage (purchased through RFR). We appointed them in December 2017. After lots of errors, oversights and unnecessary additions on their part we finally managed to get the scope of works agreed in...
                  23-10-2019, 10:46 AM
                • Reply to Action against surveyors handling s20 works
                  eagle2
                  Any complaints should be referred initially to the surveyors. If you are unable to agree a course of action, they should have a dispute resolution service to which you can refer the complaint. Any tenders which were submitted in June 2018 are unlikely to apply today.

Many management companies...
                  23-10-2019, 11:10 AM
                • S.20 works and difficult leaseholder
                  Emilycarter
                  Good morning
                  How much detail around a quote is needed to be give to Leaseholders in an s.20 situation? I am a joint freeholder of a converted building with 5 flats. We have some h&s works to be carried out in communal area and are going through the s.20 process, via Managing Agent. Two leaseholders...
                  22-10-2019, 15:51 PM
                Working...
                X