• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaseholder64
    replied
    Originally posted by Affinity View Post
    Thanks for your replies.
    The building was build at the end of 19 century and converted into flats in the 80s
    The initial build will be low risk for asbestos. The 1980s conversion was after limitations started being imposed, but might not be quite late enough. Of course, earlier maintenance may have added asbestos.

Leave a comment:

• Affinity
    replied
    Thanks for your replies.
    The building was build at the end of 19 century and converted into flats in the 80s

Leave a comment:

• eagle2
    replied
    Originally posted by sgclacy View Post
    The success in seeking reimbursement will depend more on the style and approach of your letter than the actual law.

i would write to the freeholder stating that you commissioned the asbestos report and as a consequence have undertaken a task which they should have undertaken -
    I agree, the other 2 leaseholders and joint freeholders should be approached and asked to contribute towards the cost in exchange for a copy of the report which they will need.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    One important point is that the whole case for sharing is based on the fact that the freeholders have failed to perform a statutory duty.

If the OP wanted something from them that they weren't obliged to have obtained anyway, and which is not something that the lease requires them to provide, it would be for the OPs benefit and the freeholder could charge them the full cost, or more . There would still be a moral case for sharing, but not a legal one. (Freeholders do charge for providing this sort of information, even when they do possess it. They are under no obligation to provide it, so can set any price that the market will bear.)

Currently the freeholders, including the OP, in theory at least, risk fines of of up to £20,000 and six month prison sentences.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    Originally posted by sgclacy View Post
    i would write to the freeholder
    The OP would be writing to himself! He is one third of the freeholder.

This is a dysfunctional share of the freehold case.

Leave a comment:

• sgclacy
    replied
    The success in seeking reimbursement will depend more on the style and approach of your letter than the actual law.

i would write to the freeholder stating that you commissioned the asbestos report and as a consequence have undertaken a task which they should have undertaken - therefore so that they can use that report to confirm to the insurers that an asbestos survey has been done you ask that they credit your service charge account with the cost or reimburse you 2/3 of the cost - by not having an asbestos report it MAY have invalidated their insurance cover

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    The leaseholders are the joint freeholders! If the lease requires the freeholder to pay, there really should have been a formal agreement that freeholder costs be split equally.

Is this one of these leases that tries to avoid having service charges?

Worst case is that the joint freeholders are simply jointly and severally responsible, in which case an external creditor could go after any one individually, so I don't see how one could go after the others. Hopefully there is something to the effect that they are responsible for one third each and only for that third, or there is a proper service charge provision.

The cost of this is likely to be a few hundred pounds. Taking legal action could delay things, and the fact that it has to be taken could put buyer off.

Whilst it is a criminal offence not to have had the survey done, there is no law that requires it to be provided to prospective buyers. This is probably the result of a question on form LPE1, and it is quite possible to simply say not available or refuse to answer the whole form. Buyers may be put off by this, but it is their choice. In practice, the main risk to the buyer is that there may be asbestos in poor condition, and they may get hit with large service charges to have it removed or made safe. The buyer themselves, may never have thought of asking the question; it is just a standard conveyancing question for flats.

When was the building built, and if converted, when converted? Those might give a clue as to whether there is likely to be asbestos, and a big risk to the buyer.

Leave a comment:

• eagle2
    replied
    It should be a shared expense payable by the freeholders or leaseholders depending on the wording of the lease. You should try to persuade the others in the block to contribute failing which you may need to threaten legal action.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    The problem is that you failed to do this when you were required to do it That means you are now against time pressures. You are probably going to have to fund this yourself, even though it should have been a service charge item, split equally amongst all the leaseholders.

Leave a comment:

• Affinity
    replied
    Yes, it is for the communal area

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    Can you confirm this is for the communal areas?

If so, point out that they have been committing a criminal offence for many years Also, only the freeholder can commission the survey, as it will involve taking samples not just a visual check and leaseholders won't have the right to cut bits out of the communal area, however, small.

Generally, this would be paid for from the service charge. If there is nothing that allows that the lease would probably be declared defective, if formally challenged and most people would proceed, at risk, on that basis, without formally applying to have the defective lease corrected.

The freeholder will also be asked for a fire risk assessment. If you don't have one of those, you have been committing a criminal offence since 2013. (Technically it doesn't need to be in writing, but conveyancers will expect it to be.)

Leave a comment:

• Affinity
    replied
    Thank you for your answer.

Does someone know if there is anything I can do to make the other shareholders pay?

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    If it is for the communal area, the freeholder should have paid for this many years ago, and should have an asbestos management plan in place if any was found.

If this is for your flat, I'd say that was your expense.

Leave a comment:

• Affinity
    started a topic Sharing cost

Sharing cost

Hello
    I am selling my flat. In order to do so I had to pay for a asbestos certificate which cost me £400+vat.
    Is it fair to ask the other freeholders to share the cost? The building has three flats and we share the freehold.
    Your views are appreciated.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Correct Accounting report for an RMC
    by Libra
    I am wondering what is the correct accounting report for an RMC, that is owned by the leaseholders / freeholders and also owns the freehold.
    Has the Tec/03/11 been superseded? Is the Financial reporting standard 102 section 1A appropriate?
    Is it correct to report that the reserve fund...
    07-12-2019, 16:49 PM
  • Reply to Correct Accounting report for an RMC
    by Libra
    Thank you Leaseholder 64. I
    07-12-2019, 20:05 PM
  • Reporting the directors of a RMC to be unfit
    by Libra
    Hello...and thank you for listening
    I am wondering if one could report the RMC directors to be unfit - several breaches of Companies Act - blackmailing / coercing the residents / misleading statements regarding the right to acquire the freehold - probably false accounting ( still investigating...
    07-12-2019, 16:39 PM
  • Reply to Reporting the directors of a RMC to be unfit
    by Libra
    Hello Leaseholder 64,
    Thank your for your reply. I didn't think that they are the same issues ...that's why I started another post. I can now see how they can have a common point. To my mind, whether I can report the directors was different to what is the correct account report for a RMC. My apologies....
    07-12-2019, 20:00 PM
  • Reply to Reporting the directors of a RMC to be unfit
    by leaseholder64
    In practice, this is almost impossible.

I don't understand the not for profit thing. How are the profits being distributed. It is normally possible to get dispensation from tax if temporary excesses are always used for future expenditure. NB. service charge monies are never beneficially...
    07-12-2019, 17:37 PM
  • Reply to Correct Accounting report for an RMC
    by leaseholder64
    If the reserve fund is established by the lease, it is held on trust, in the same way as the rest of the service charges, and therefore is not owned by the shareholders. In this situation, the shareholders own the company. The company is is the legal owner of the funds, but is not the beneficial owner,...
    07-12-2019, 17:20 PM
  • Reply to new Mgmt increase service charge
    by savvy
    I have looked at the Lease again. TBH I don't really understand it. The only point that specifically mentions a sinking fund states

"For the provision of a sinking fund for the benefit of all occupiers of the Court but so that no part thereof shall be repayable to any Individual Lessee...
    07-12-2019, 15:42 PM
  • new Mgmt increase service charge
    by savvy
    Hello and thank-you in advance for taking the time to read my question.

I am the landlord of a leasehold flat in a small block (6 flats in total). I have just received a letter from the new mgmt company with the 2020 service charge & reserve fund budget which has increased to almost...
    07-12-2019, 14:27 PM
    by savvy
    Leasholder64 - yes I meant managing agent

I will get my Lease and have a proper look. As I recall the wording was all a bit vague.
    07-12-2019, 15:27 PM
    by savvy
    I've owned the property since 2001 and there have not been any upgrades to the block just one off repairs when required so it is looking a bit shabby. The reserve fund has accumulated over the years. Also, in 2015 I received a S20 major works notice (repair roof, windows, soffits etc) and an invoice...
    07-12-2019, 15:21 PM
Working...
X