Collecting lessees' insurance premia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collecting lessees' insurance premia

i have just purchased a four story i bed flats and a commercial unit. the problem is the flats are on a 130 years lease, but have been told by solicitors that each flat owner must pay insurance to the freeholder ie me. now i have requested the money from each flat for the past one year but no one pays, is there anyhthing i can do, i also went to my solocitor but he also was finding it hard to get money from each tenant. anyone have ideas? i did alos write to tthe tenants that if any claims were to be made i will not make the claim until they have paid there part of the insurance, and to be honest this also has not worked. i am thinking of sending baliffs but for the amount of 125 per flat is this really worth it. there mus tbe some legal method i can use!!!

1. Write to the mortgage company for each of the flats and point out their security is not insured until the annual premium has been paid. Then ask the mortgage company to pay.

2. Make a claim to the small claims court ( court fee is 30 pds for claims below 300 pds).

Comment

thanks will do

i shall first write to the mortgage company, th seems a good idea. as for the small claims, could i claim for postage and admin charges as well?

Comment

Originally posted by nask70 View Post
        i shall first write to the mortgage company, th seems a good idea. as for the small claims, could i claim for postage and admin charges as well?
        Yes, plus:
        a. Court costs;
        b. any legal fees; and
        c. cost of copies from HMLR, which you'll need to verify up-to-date details.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Jeffrey, will the tenant have to come

to court as well or will i just have to be there myself, i am a bit confused as to how this works--how will the teneat know that i have gone through the small claims procedure? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by nask70 View Post
            to court as well or will i just have to be there myself, i am a bit confused as to how this works--how will the teneat know that i have gone through the small claims procedure? thanks
            You submit application. Court serves it on T. What happens next depends on T's response: pays, argues, or does not reply.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

i think the option of writing to the

mortgage company would suffice, as writing to them direct i get no response and if the courts are also going to arite to them direct they would get no reply, unless the courts have an alternative ie sending out bailiffs etc...

what do you think?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Negotiating a lease extension
                by LizLease
                Hi all, I am new to the forum.
                I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
                I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
                I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
                21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
              • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
                by sgclacy
                If you were to challenge the costs afterwards, almost certainly it would be dealt with as a paper review and is not as daunting as it might seem . The Tribunal generally think that around £350 plus VAT for dealing with the Section 42 Notice of claim and circa £1000 plus vat for the deed of surrender...
                22-09-2021, 13:38 PM
              • Reply to Renewing the lease and sublet charges
                by Gordon999
                I have some faint recollection that a complaint of " in-house legal team" was raised before a LVT or FTT Tribunal and Chairman decided "in-house team" did not qualify as "solicitor", who are required to conduct CDD ( Client Due Diligence ) before taking...
                22-09-2021, 12:28 PM
              • Renewing the lease and sublet charges
                by mpppen
                I've just about finished the tortuous process of renewing the lease at a flat we own bringing it up to 170 years and no ground rent (yay).

It is rent out and I do keep getting sublet registration demands from an infamous mgm company on here.

I've read back through the forums...
                21-09-2021, 18:47 PM
              • Example "Deed of Variation" for extending the lease term.
                by Lat
                I have tried google but there is very little to show. Does anyone have a redacted example of a "Deed of Variation" that they have had to sign?

The criteria in my case is...

1. Shared Freehold flat in block of flats
                2. Freeholder is Residents Company Ltd with...
                04-09-2021, 11:24 AM
              • Reply to Example "Deed of Variation" for extending the lease term.
                by Lat
                What is wrong with the following process to register the "Deed of Varation"

All that is required of me is to get the "Deed of Variation" registered with the Land Registry and provide a copy of the new lease to the Company Secretary.

The Process.
                22-09-2021, 12:16 PM
              • Dissolve company and regain shares
                by LaraJara21
                Good afternoon

I am the director of a small a residents management company / limited company and We want to dissolve the limited company so each freeholder can regain their own shares. I would be extremely grateful if someone could advise on if this is possible and if so, how do we that?...
                22-09-2021, 11:35 AM
              • Reply to Dissolve company and regain shares
                by Gordon999
                The RMC has legal rights under the lease to administer the service charge account and demand annual service charge contribution from leaseholders. . It should not be dissolved because it holds the freehold title of the building.

If you transfer the freehold title to the leaseholders,...
                22-09-2021, 12:05 PM
              • Right to Manage Costs
                by Pariah81
                Hi,

I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

I'm also aware we have to pay...
                21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
              • Reply to Right to Manage Costs
                by ram

You can't do that, as where is the money going to come from ?
                You cant give them back the money they gave towards the RTM - as then WHO pays for the RTM legal fees ? - You ?
                It can't come out of the service charges.
                You can pay ONE of the Directors, say $ 500 per year to administer
                22-09-2021, 10:03 AM
              Working...
              X