VAT on Major Works - Is it payable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT on Major Works - Is it payable?

My situation, - a two property block. One owned by a VAT registered company, which includes the freehold to the block, and mine a leasehold.

We are having major works done which the freeholder has arranged himself, and the builder has presented a bill for £20,000 + VAT.

The lease states that the freeholder is responsible for arranging repairs etc. and has followed a section 20 notice.

My question - am I correct that the services provided to the freeholder are VAT exempt because the services are part of the supply of the right to occupy the property? If so, the freeholder will be able to reclaim the VAT as it is not due, and as such, I should also not have to pay the VAT as it's not actually a cost incurred by the freeholder?

Have I understood that correctly, or am I totally wrong?

Thanks

Yes they are VAT Exempt, but...

That does not have the meaning you ascribe to it. It means they cannot reclaim input VAT, they have to pass all the VAT onto you, just not as VAT.

Comment

The lessees pay the VAT. The end user always pays the VAT.

So yes, you are totally wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
        The lessees pay the VAT. The end user always pays the VAT.

So yes, you are totally wrong.
        Thanks for your incredibly helpful reply.

I am not the end user, however, hence my question about the VAT, the service is provided to the freeholder. I in turn have to pay my proportion of the freeholders costs.

I think I have the correct answer now:

1) Building company charges freeholder £20,000 + VAT (£24,000)
        2) Freeholder reclaims half of his costs which I as leaseholder have to pay £12,000 (total without any VAT applied)
        3) Freeholder cannot claim back VAT as he is the end user

Comment

Originally posted by manchesterpat View Post

Thanks for your incredibly helpful reply.

I am not the end user, however, hence my question about the VAT, the service is provided to the freeholder. I in turn have to pay my proportion of the freeholders costs.

I think I have the correct answer now:

1) Building company charges freeholder £20,000 + VAT (£24,000)
          2) Freeholder reclaims half of his costs which I as leaseholder have to pay £12,000 (total without any VAT applied)
          3) Freeholder cannot claim back VAT as he is the end user
          The effect is the same.. but not really always. In your simple example the FH is the end user, and then passes on his costs under contract. But that does not have to be the case -- for example if a lessee is a commercial company (as may be the case in your scenario) the FH may (perhaps must?) "opt to tax the property and account for VAT on all rents to commercial tenants". See VAT notice 742a
          https://www.gov.uk/guidance/opting-to-tax-land-and-buildings-notice-742a

It is complicated and I have not digested it -- but in 13.12 here HMRC suggest that this can apply to residential property too

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-on-l...e-742#para12-4

The bottom line of your original post is however still wrong, as someone always has to pay the VAT and all parties cannot be exempt as you hopefully suggest might be possible.

Comment

There is no need to complicate matters, service charges are exempt from VAT, ESC 3.18 if anyone is interested, so the freeholder cannot recover any VAT and cannot charge VAT on service charges.

In the above case, VAT should be ignored, the cost is £24,000 and £12,000 is payable by the leaseholder.

Comment

The freeholder is not a re-seller of work done for himself / leaseholders.

V.A.T is claimed back when you sell something. The freeholder is not selling anything.
              The freeholder owns the building, is having work done on a building he owns, and does not sell that work to anyone else.
              The freeholder, on behalf of the leaseholders, uses only the leaseholders money ( not the freeholders money ) to repair the building owned by the freeholder and leased by the leaseholders of same building.

Even if you "could" make a system whereby the freeholder gets a rebate of the V.A.T. by selling the repairs to the leaseholders, then as the leaseholders are the end user, the leaseholders have to pay the V.A.T.

SOMEONE has to pay the government the V.A.T. and what you are saying is everyone claims back the v.a.t. and the government gets nothing.
              Sorry, the FINAL user HAS to pay v.a.t, and in your mind, that is either the freeholder or the leaseholder.
              If the freeholder gets back the v.a.t ( government has not received the v.a.t.) then the last in the chain, is you, the leaseholder that pays the v.a.t. ( but the freeholder pay the bills, including v.a.t. with your money, for your use of the repairs- --- the end user. )

Comment

It is the building contractor who has to account for the VAT

Comment

The OP's problem is that he is VAT registered business, so there may be no consumer in the chain. However, the exempt status puts him in the VAT position of a consumer; he cannot reclaim input VAT on the service charges, as it isn't really on them. Exempt is not the same as zero rated.

Comment

Why is everyone complicating this? The leaseholder receives a service charge of £12,000 and ignores the VAT. The VAT chain ends with the building contractor who accounts to HMRC for the VAT.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Not admitting or agreeing to service charge
                      Landlordintraining
                      Hi all,

A very quick question,

I want to pay my service charge and then take the freeholder to the FTT. Can someone give me some advice on what wording I should use in my email to the freeholder so as not to admit or to agree to the service charges?

I was simply...
                      23-10-2019, 16:08 PM
                    • Reply to Not admitting or agreeing to service charge
                      Macromia
                      Copies of any letters, or emails, that you have which state that you disagree with charges can be used as evidence that payment wasn't an admission that the amounts demanded were payable/reasonable.

The wording of anything sent at the time of payment isn't particularly important - as long...
                      23-10-2019, 20:56 PM
                    • Licence to Alter
                      vmart
                      Should the leaseholder be given the original signed copy of a Licence to Alter (LTA)? Our landlord created a deed (LTA) to provide us with permission for work we are planning but we were given a photo copy of the completed document but think we should retain the original.

Thank you.
                      21-10-2019, 09:48 AM
                    • Reply to Licence to Alter
                      vmart
                      Dear Leaseholder 64

Thank you. Yes, but if all parties sign two copies at the same time during a meeting and exchange copies then I assume there is nothing else that needs to be done....
                      23-10-2019, 18:28 PM
                      AndrewDod
                      Indeed but that may not apply to administration charges. I can't see any disadvantage to payment under protest anyway.

I suppose also that if the tenant is not wishing to pay because he has not been served properly or with statements of rights etc, payment might be taken as indicating that...
                      23-10-2019, 16:42 PM
                      AndrewDod
                      "... nor should my payment be construed in any way as constituting my agreement that the charges levied are correctly calculated according to the lease."

You are not admitting or otherwise to anything

You could mention that you plan to take the matter to FTT. Make...
                      23-10-2019, 16:41 PM
                      leaseholder64
                      Nothing should be necessary as the legislation says that paying does not constitute an admission that it was payable.
                      23-10-2019, 16:39 PM
                    • Action against surveyors handling s20 works
                      amorgan
                      Hi, we appointed surveyors to handle the s20 process for the Major Works that were needed to an estate we manage (purchased through RFR). We appointed them in December 2017. After lots of errors, oversights and unnecessary additions on their part we finally managed to get the scope of works agreed in...
                      23-10-2019, 10:46 AM
                    • Reply to Action against surveyors handling s20 works
                      eagle2
                      Any complaints should be referred initially to the surveyors. If you are unable to agree a course of action, they should have a dispute resolution service to which you can refer the complaint. Any tenders which were submitted in June 2018 are unlikely to apply today.

Many management companies...
                      23-10-2019, 11:10 AM
                    • S.20 works and difficult leaseholder
                      Emilycarter
                      Good morning
                      How much detail around a quote is needed to be give to Leaseholders in an s.20 situation? I am a joint freeholder of a converted building with 5 flats. We have some h&s works to be carried out in communal area and are going through the s.20 process, via Managing Agent. Two leaseholders...
                      22-10-2019, 15:51 PM
                    Working...
                    X