Objection to letting a garage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Objection to letting a garage

I own a flat in a block that I rent out to a doctor.

I've been renting the flat's garage separately for the past two years to a builder who uses it to store work tools and equipment.

Another lease holder in the building has complained about this and is asking that the garage not be let to the builder.

His grounds for requesting this are a the following clause in the lease:

"Use or permit the use of the Demised Premises for any illegal purpose or carry on any trade or business thereon nor take in any boarders or lodgers but shall use the same for the purpose of a single private residence only".

My questions are:

1) Does storing items there constitute 'carry on any trade or business'
    2) Does renting the garage and flat separately contravene 'single private residence'

It seems like I'm going to have to ask the builder to vacate which is a shame because he's never missed a payment and is a good tenant from my perspective.

Any advice or opinions are welcomed.

There is probably also a clause not to sub-let any part, but even without that, I would agree that you are breaching the lease.

Comment

I think it depends to some extent on what the builder is doing.

Depending on the arrangement I suppose it could be more akin to taking in a lodger, than chopping the flat in half and letting out one half.

If the builder is actually using it as a building zone and is entering daily to access bits and bobs, I think they are right to object. If he is using it for some long term equipment storage and coming by once every two months, or if you were receiving money in exchange for allowing a third party to park there I think it is far less likely to be a problem.

Presumably the builder is actually doing something that is causing a problem.

It is pretty hard to prevent a single little old lady from taking in a friend who shares bills and expenses (and it would cause far less nuisance than the barking dog breach), and probably unreasonable too.

Comment

Is the separate garage part of the demised Property?

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
          Is the separate garage part of the demised Property?
          Yes it is.....

Comment

I would agree that the clause does you no favours and you are in breach. If i were a resident who's flat happened to be sited above your garage (i know some blocks have flat not situated close to the actual owner) then i would be miffed if at times of the day and evening a builder is accessing it and maybe even doing work inside ????

Comment

Originally posted by steve-123 View Post

Yes it is.....
              Interesting.
              When I had a flat and garage there were separate deeds for each.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
                Interesting.
                When I had a flat and garage there were separate deeds for each.
                If there are fewer garages than flats and the maintenance of the garages can easily be separated from the maintenance of the residential parts it makes sense to have separate leases.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Doubling rent
                  SandraHope
                  My solicitor has strongly advised me against purchasing a flat as it has just come to light that the recently renewed lease has had its ground rent increased 100% and it is also on a doubling basis. My solicitor has advised us that mortgage companies are becoming more reluctant to offer mortgages on...
                  16-10-2019, 19:31 PM
                • Reply to Doubling rent
                  michelle230
                  Good to know if you have children/grandchildren, you'll be more than happy for them to purchase these traps. At least * someone * will be lucky enough to escape and pass on the burden....
                  17-10-2019, 17:21 PM
                • Reply to Doubling rent
                  michelle230
                  Gordon999 Spot on!...
                  17-10-2019, 17:16 PM
                • Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
                  uoeno
                  Hello. I am the owner of a residential apartment, which I use as my main residence, which is managed by a property management company, to whom I pay a monthly service fee, and a residents management company, of which the PMC is one of the directors. The freehold of the land is owned and managed by a...
                  15-10-2019, 15:50 PM
                • Reply to Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
                  Jon66
                  Perhaps you would be better off finding a more suitable property as clearly this one is no longer suitable. By the sounds of it, all parties would see this as a good solution.

Just because your circumstances change, trying to bend the lease to suit this is probably not the best way of...
                  17-10-2019, 15:40 PM
                • Reply to Doubling rent
                  Gordon999
                  Many older properties were sold on 99 years lease term and small annual ground rent which doubled after every 33 years.

The problem with 99 years leasehold property , the mortgage lenders are reluctant to offer mortgage loan below 70 years terms . The cost to seek lease extension when...
                  17-10-2019, 15:36 PM
                • Reply to Doubling rent
                  michelle230
                  Untrue. Who said * all * rising ground rents are a problem. Onerous ground rent terms are. As lenders acknowledge. Hence them not lending. Hence sales falling through. Hence many trapped in unsaleable homes....
                  17-10-2019, 15:21 PM
                • Reply to Doubling rent
                  sgclacy
                  It was lender knee jerk reaction to the problems of 10 year doublers.

The lenders may themselves find that they could be "hoist with his own petard" if lessees abandon their properties for being un-mortageable...
                  17-10-2019, 14:36 PM
                • Reply to Doubling rent
                  leaseholder64
                  One problem with setting arbitrary hard limits is that you end up with something like the interesting number paradox, and any ground rent at all becomes unsafe!
                  17-10-2019, 14:27 PM
                • Reply to Doubling rent
                  sgclacy
                  Totally agree and the following article shows the problems those that talk hysterically about rising ground rents can cause

https://www.mortgagesolutions.co.uk/...rules-procter/

If a ground rent was say £1000...
                  17-10-2019, 14:10 PM
                Working...
                X