Objection to letting a garage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Objection to letting a garage

I own a flat in a block that I rent out to a doctor.

I've been renting the flat's garage separately for the past two years to a builder who uses it to store work tools and equipment.

Another lease holder in the building has complained about this and is asking that the garage not be let to the builder.

His grounds for requesting this are a the following clause in the lease:

"Use or permit the use of the Demised Premises for any illegal purpose or carry on any trade or business thereon nor take in any boarders or lodgers but shall use the same for the purpose of a single private residence only".

My questions are:

1) Does storing items there constitute 'carry on any trade or business'
    2) Does renting the garage and flat separately contravene 'single private residence'

It seems like I'm going to have to ask the builder to vacate which is a shame because he's never missed a payment and is a good tenant from my perspective.

Any advice or opinions are welcomed.

There is probably also a clause not to sub-let any part, but even without that, I would agree that you are breaching the lease.

Comment

I think it depends to some extent on what the builder is doing.

Depending on the arrangement I suppose it could be more akin to taking in a lodger, than chopping the flat in half and letting out one half.

If the builder is actually using it as a building zone and is entering daily to access bits and bobs, I think they are right to object. If he is using it for some long term equipment storage and coming by once every two months, or if you were receiving money in exchange for allowing a third party to park there I think it is far less likely to be a problem.

Presumably the builder is actually doing something that is causing a problem.

It is pretty hard to prevent a single little old lady from taking in a friend who shares bills and expenses (and it would cause far less nuisance than the barking dog breach), and probably unreasonable too.

Comment

Is the separate garage part of the demised Property?

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
          Is the separate garage part of the demised Property?
          Yes it is.....

Comment

I would agree that the clause does you no favours and you are in breach. If i were a resident who's flat happened to be sited above your garage (i know some blocks have flat not situated close to the actual owner) then i would be miffed if at times of the day and evening a builder is accessing it and maybe even doing work inside ????

Comment

Originally posted by steve-123 View Post

Yes it is.....
              Interesting.
              When I had a flat and garage there were separate deeds for each.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
                Interesting.
                When I had a flat and garage there were separate deeds for each.
                If there are fewer garages than flats and the maintenance of the garages can easily be separated from the maintenance of the residential parts it makes sense to have separate leases.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Licence to Alter
                  vmart
                  Should the leaseholder be given the original signed copy of a Licence to Alter (LTA)? Our landlord created a deed (LTA) to provide us with permission for work we are planning but we were given a photo copy of the completed document but think we should retain the original.

Thank you.
                  21-10-2019, 09:48 AM
                • Reply to Licence to Alter
                  ram
                  No need to put "the deed is signed in duplicate".
                  You could have 200 originals, but you still only have authorisation to carry out alterations once, and for the prescribed alteration.
                  22-10-2019, 08:20 AM
                  vmart
                  Thank you all for your replies. Therefore, I will ask the landlord to arrange for us to execute the deed again and we all sign both copies. Should the licence specifically state "the deed is signed in duplicate" or similar wording or is the current deed OK in this respect?

Thank...
                  22-10-2019, 08:05 AM
                • FTT decisions
                  vmart
                  Is there any rule regarding the time a decision must be received from the FTT?

Thank you.
                  21-10-2019, 09:43 AM
                • Reply to FTT decisions
                  vmart
                  Thank you all for your replies....
                  22-10-2019, 08:01 AM
                  ram
                  There should have been 2 originals, and you all sign the two.
                  One for the landlord and one for the tenant..
                  Thats the way it should have been done.
                  22-10-2019, 07:34 AM
                  Lawcruncher
                  A licence is a consent to do something and you give the original to the person who needs the consent.
                  21-10-2019, 23:37 PM
                • Reply to FTT decisions
                  HazeltonLane
                  We just went through the process for a straightforward application to vary leases under Section 35 (paper determination). Ours took four months from application to receipt of decision.
                  21-10-2019, 22:58 PM
                • Case law damp
                  scot22
                  I know I've posted many times on this subject, apologies.
                  The issue is tanking first floor flat where none has existed. External wall has been carefully maintained. I have searched but not able to find any cases.
                  Also could freeholder be liable for any internal work such as plaster....
                  01-10-2019, 09:04 AM
                • Reply to Case law damp
                  scot22
                  Being concerned for people's well being I will do my utmost not to post anything else on the subject. Nearly everyone is completely fed up with the unfounded claim. I appreciate every contribution that has been given.
                  There are people fixated on their own opinion. Trying to forget about hi...
                  21-10-2019, 20:15 PM
                Working...
                X