Understanding leasehold contract...responsibility for external walls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understanding leasehold contract...responsibility for external walls

I own a flat in what was a conversion from a terrace house - it was split into two flats, mine upstairs and the other downstairs.

The freehold is jointly held between me and the other flat owners.

I'm trying to pin down how exactly the responsibility is shared for maintaining the external walls. I'd thought that we were jointly responsible for the lot - but having just spent some time struggling through the wording of my lease, I think that in fact we're each responsible for the portion that encloses our flat. Below is what I think are the relevant parts of the lease. I'd be really grateful if anyone could confirm that I've understood it correctly.

1. In pursuance of the said agreement....the Lessor HEREBY DEMISES unto the lessee ALL THAT FLAT (herein after called “the Flat”) shown on Plan A annexed hereto and thereon edged red...which forms the first floor and second floor of the building (including the roof of the building and the structure thereof and the floors of the first floor of the building but excluding the ceilings of the flat below but including the internal and external walls of the Flat above the same level...

2. AND the lessee HEREBY COVENANTS with the Lessor in manner following that is to say:-
    (v) From time to time … well and substantially to repair uphold support cleanse maintain drain amend and keep the premises hereby demised... and all party and other walls fences roof footings joists sewers drains...with all necessary reparations cleansings and amendments whatsoever
    (vi)...pay and contribute a rateable or due proportion of the expenses of making repairing maintaining supporting rebuilding and cleansing...party walls party structures chimney stacks … belonging to or used or capable of being used by the Lessee in common with the Lessor or the tenants or occupiers of the said Flat below...such proportion in the case of dispute to be settled by the Surveyor

PROVIDED ALWAYS that:-
    (1) All fences... and the walls dividing the the Flat hereby demised from the adjoining property and the joists or other the support for the floor of the said Flat below shall be deemed to be party fences walls and joists to be maintained and repaired (a) as to fences and walls at the joint expense of the Lessee and the tenants and occupiers or owners for the time being of the adjoining property thereby separated and (b) as to the joists at the joint expense of the Lessee and the tenants and occupiers or owners for the time being of the adjoining property thereby

What I take from this is:
    (a) the external walls, above the level of the floor that separates the two flats, are part of my demise
    (b) I as the 'lessor' am obliged to repair and maintain those external walls, because they are part of my demise
    (c) there are certain parts (such as the chimney stack) that we are jointly responsible for, but the only walls that we are jointly responsible for are "party walls" and that doesn't include external walls because they don't divide the two flats.

Have I got that about right?

I agree with your reading, although I would have thought such arrangements would have been of concern to lenders.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
      I agree with your reading, although I would have thought such arrangements would have been of concern to lenders.
      Not something that my mortgage provider brought up. Why particularly would it be of concern?

Comment

Because they are relying on the ground floor flat owner to keep the first floor flat in the air. I believe they tend to prefer that the freeholder have the responsibility for this.

Comment

We own the freehold jointly ... as it is, if the lower flat weren't doing maintenance properly then I'd have to try and get them to do stuff by pointing out their obligation do to so under their lease.

I'm not sure what would be different in practice, if it was the freeholder's responsibility, because if they didn't want to do it we'd be in the same position with me trying to get them to do it by pointing out that it was our joint responsibility as freeholders.

Comment

As has already been confirmed, it seems each flat is responsible for "including the internal and external walls"
            This is not the norm, but the lease says what it says.

Best to come to an agreement that both of you keep an eye on the brick work, and when, if required, when it needs re-pointing, replacement of "blown" bricks etc, you half the costs, and while scaffolding is up there, the security of the gutters is inspected, and secured, and detritus cleared from same.
            Stating it is in both your interests to maintain the outside, preferably all in one go,and you each pay half the costs ( in advance ).

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
              As has already been confirmed, it seems each flat is responsible for "including the internal and external walls"
              This is not the norm, but the lease says what it says.

Best to come to an agreement that both of you keep an eye on the brick work, and when, if required, when it needs re-pointing, replacement of "blown" bricks etc, you half the costs, and while scaffolding is up there, the security of the gutters is inspected, and secured, and detritus cleared from same.
              Stating it is in both your interests to maintain the outside, preferably all in one go,and you each pay half the costs ( in advance ).
              Yes, that is ideally how I would like to do it, and have made the argument for that, but unfortunately the other owners say they can not afford to contribute at this stage. They are the second set of owners who I've not managed to come to an arrangement with.

The problem with making agreements about this stuff is that they don't necessarily transfer to any subsequent owners (unless, I assume, they are somehow formalised by changing the leases).

It was initially my worry that if I went ahead and did my 'half', with an agreement that the other owners did their half when they can afford it, then that flat was sold on, the new owners could ask me for a contribution to that cost. That would be the case if our leases stated we have joint liability for the brickwork - but as it turns out, we don't.

Comment

Originally posted by blocks View Post
                That would be the case if our leases stated we have joint liability for the brickwork - but as it turns out, we don't.

If any brick work ( external ) is not done by the flat that is responsibe for that, then the other leaseholder may take the other to court for not observing the lease.

see pic enclosed ( below typed )

ABIL2PAY.JPG

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Licence to Alter
                  vmart
                  Should the leaseholder be given the original signed copy of a Licence to Alter (LTA)? Our landlord created a deed (LTA) to provide us with permission for work we are planning but we were given a photo copy of the completed document but think we should retain the original.

Thank you.
                  21-10-2019, 09:48 AM
                • Reply to Licence to Alter
                  Lawcruncher
                  In fact all you need is a copy signed by the landlord.

When lawyers deal with licences they are usually executed as "part and counterpart" - that is the landlord signs one part and the tenant another. When everyone is ready the parts are exchanged. The landlord then has a part...
                  22-10-2019, 08:45 AM
                  vmart
                  Thank you.
                  22-10-2019, 08:28 AM
                • Freeholder permission and checks
                  c118
                  We have recently purchased a maisonette leasehold and the entire freehold of the building (one other flat on the ground floor). In regards to freehold permission for a conservatory extension, are there any resources online that advise what checks should be completed/information required prior to permission...
                  21-10-2019, 08:10 AM
                • Reply to Freeholder permission and checks
                  vmart
                  Given that this is not your area of expertise, why not talk to a surveyor to manage the discussions/project for you at the leaseholder's cost....
                  22-10-2019, 08:27 AM
                  ram
                  No need to put "the deed is signed in duplicate".
                  You could have 200 originals, but you still only have authorisation to carry out alterations once, and for the prescribed alteration.
                  22-10-2019, 08:20 AM
                  vmart
                  Thank you all for your replies. Therefore, I will ask the landlord to arrange for us to execute the deed again and we all sign both copies. Should the licence specifically state "the deed is signed in duplicate" or similar wording or is the current deed OK in this respect?

Thank...
                  22-10-2019, 08:05 AM
                • FTT decisions
                  vmart
                  Is there any rule regarding the time a decision must be received from the FTT?

Thank you.
                  21-10-2019, 09:43 AM
                • Reply to FTT decisions
                  vmart
                  Thank you all for your replies....
                  22-10-2019, 08:01 AM
                  ram
                  There should have been 2 originals, and you all sign the two.
                  One for the landlord and one for the tenant..
                  Thats the way it should have been done.
                  22-10-2019, 07:34 AM
                Working...
                X