Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stacker
    replied
    What is above your ceiling? Do they have a covered floor above? You can not be expected to repaint and fill every few weeks...no go back and say there is an issue and get them to help you repair and maintain the building..

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    Did they fill them with the right stuff? You need flexible filler else it does just crack again.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Oh, well unless the crack extends to outside, I would have thought an internal crack was also your problem rather than man co. Could you not put a curtain over it, or a bit of furniture, and remove it from your mind?

Leave a comment:

• Elchupacabra
    replied
    The ceilings are plasterboard, so the issue probably is just shrinkage.

I'm more concerned about the wall crack. The wall is plastered and cracked diagonally around the window. I think to remedy properly it would need taking back to brick and then replastering.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Is this plasterboard or plaster?

Plasterboard often cracks, and there is nothing the management co can do about it. You need to strip out and re-tape & skim if it bothers you.

Leave a comment:

• Elchupacabra
    started a topic Recurring cracks in walls and ceilings

Recurring cracks in walls and ceilings

Hi,

I bought a leasehold flat around a year ago.

When I bought the flat there were cracks in the walls and ceilings. About 1mm wide and quite long. I had a survey before I bought and the survey said that the wall crack was evidence of historic slight structural movement, and the ceiling cracks were shrinkage, and it was no major problem.

After I moved in I contacted the freeholder and they sent their surveyor round, who said the same thing, and the management company advised me to fill and paint the cracks.

I've now had the cracks filled and painted (at a considerable expense) but within the space of a few weeks the cracks have returned. It seems like the movement is quite dynamic.

My question is, should I go back to the management company and get them to fix the underlying problem? And are they responsible for the damage to my walls and ceilings?

There is a clause in the lease that says I must keep the flat in a good state of decoration, which is not possible if the plaster cracks every few weeks!

Any advice is appreciated.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to RMC - Dormant Status with HMRC - Banking
    by Gordon999
    If the RMC company is kept non-profit making and staying dormant, the RMC does not need a "business account with debit card".

The RMC just needs a current account with cheque book for the service charge money ( designated a client account.) to ring-fence the money as belonging...
    20-11-2019, 03:32 AM
  • RMC - Dormant Status with HMRC - Banking
    by bigalxyz
    I'm one of the directors of an RMC looking after a leasehold building (having recently taken over from an external property manager).

The company is dormant at HMRC. It has a business account, unused. All of our funds (service charge monies) are in a separate client account.

19-11-2019, 14:44 PM
  • Reply to Service charge budget for 2020
    by Gordon999
    The budget proposal is a rough estimate of maintenance spending for the year and is used to calculated what each flat should be charged for their annual service charge levy.

The audited accounts which are produce about 6 months after the year end will show you what was actually spent
    20-11-2019, 02:24 AM
  • Service charge budget for 2020
    by stum
    Hi
    I have received a budget for the servcie charges for 2020. This is sent as a budget proposal, but at same time suggests that charges will start in January 2020, making it not a proposal but a matter of fact, as far as the service agent is concerned.
    I am querying one of the proposed...
    19-11-2019, 20:53 PM
  • Service Charge Percentage Wrong
    by gidoc
    Dear all,
    I hope this forum can guide me to the next step. I have a leasehold apartment, which I purchased in July 2007. I have never been able to go through the whole lease esp the page no1, which clearly defines the service charges as 1%. I am however been charged 2%( extra 1% for communal areas,...
    17-11-2019, 21:47 PM
  • Reply to Service Charge Percentage Wrong
    by leaseholder64
    I've re-read the lease extract, and it still seems to me that most of the items under block costs relate to internal common area items.

What I suspect has happened is that 4 of the leases have different wordings, that fail to cover those items, and those don't get the internal items list,...
    20-11-2019, 00:42 AM
    by leaseholder64
    Looks like there are 101 properties on the estate, 96 of them contribute to your apartment charge and 92 to your internal charge.

What are the actual numbers in each category?

The actual percentages differ from the lease, but are more accurate for an equal split 101/96/92 ways....
    20-11-2019, 00:25 AM
    by gidoc
    Here is a breakdown of service charges:
    the internal area cost- is not being paid by equivalent apartments(very few)- which do not have internal areas.
    thanks...
    19-11-2019, 23:03 PM
  • Reply to Service charge budget for 2020
    by leaseholder64
    Only if the lease requires that. There is no legal requirement to provide details of the budget, although it is best practice to do so.

The typical reason for seeing new types of charge is health and safety, e.g. emergency light testing.
    19-11-2019, 21:52 PM
    by gidoc
    Landlord is a Private holding company ( commercial )
    I have set up a telephone adv from The Leasehold Advisory Service

FTT and tribunal should be next step

and then small claims court for debt recovery if all goes ok

hope I got that in the right order....
    19-11-2019, 21:34 PM
Working...
X