Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurring cracks in walls and ceilings

Hi,

I bought a leasehold flat around a year ago.

When I bought the flat there were cracks in the walls and ceilings. About 1mm wide and quite long. I had a survey before I bought and the survey said that the wall crack was evidence of historic slight structural movement, and the ceiling cracks were shrinkage, and it was no major problem.

After I moved in I contacted the freeholder and they sent their surveyor round, who said the same thing, and the management company advised me to fill and paint the cracks.

I've now had the cracks filled and painted (at a considerable expense) but within the space of a few weeks the cracks have returned. It seems like the movement is quite dynamic.

My question is, should I go back to the management company and get them to fix the underlying problem? And are they responsible for the damage to my walls and ceilings?

There is a clause in the lease that says I must keep the flat in a good state of decoration, which is not possible if the plaster cracks every few weeks!

Any advice is appreciated.

Is this plasterboard or plaster?

Plasterboard often cracks, and there is nothing the management co can do about it. You need to strip out and re-tape & skim if it bothers you.

Comment

The ceilings are plasterboard, so the issue probably is just shrinkage.

I'm more concerned about the wall crack. The wall is plastered and cracked diagonally around the window. I think to remedy properly it would need taking back to brick and then replastering.

Comment

Oh, well unless the crack extends to outside, I would have thought an internal crack was also your problem rather than man co. Could you not put a curtain over it, or a bit of furniture, and remove it from your mind?

Comment

Did they fill them with the right stuff? You need flexible filler else it does just crack again.

Comment

What is above your ceiling? Do they have a covered floor above? You can not be expected to repaint and fill every few weeks...no go back and say there is an issue and get them to help you repair and maintain the building..

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Service Charge Percentage Wrong
              by AndrewDod
              But he is not being charged 3% of the total.

£1969.93/£188,912 = 1.042%

Which is about correct albeit the exact apportioning into the 0.99% band vs 1.1% band is a little hard to follow.

about 100 flats and he is paying about 100th

There may be something...
              22-11-2019, 01:59 AM
            • Service Charge Percentage Wrong
              by gidoc
              Dear all,
              I hope this forum can guide me to the next step. I have a leasehold apartment, which I purchased in July 2007. I have never been able to go through the whole lease esp the page no1, which clearly defines the service charges as 1%. I am however been charged 2%( extra 1% for communal areas,...
              17-11-2019, 21:47 PM
            • Reply to Advice on Building Regs and Lease covenant
              by ram
              Irrespective of what the lease says, if a modification is such that would be deemed that certification is required, then the Law overrules the lease.
              But without knowing what the modification was, and if it was authorised by the freeholder, and it does not contravene listed building criteria
              22-11-2019, 00:19 AM
            • Advice on Building Regs and Lease covenant
              by Harwood
              Hello

Bit of a long shot but i wondered if anybody could advise if the Building regulations would be covered under the following lease covenant;

"At all times during the said term to comply in all respects with the provisions and requirements of the Town and Country Planning...
              14-11-2019, 17:21 PM
            • Reply to Service Charge Percentage Wrong
              by gidoc
              Update: The Leasehold Advisory Service said to give the Company another 2 wks to respond, if they do not engage to resolve/recalculate service charges- I should follow the formal complaint process via Ombudsman and or go via First tier property tribunal.
              21-11-2019, 23:21 PM
            • RMC - Dormant Status with HMRC - Banking
              by bigalxyz
              I'm one of the directors of an RMC looking after a leasehold building (having recently taken over from an external property manager).

The company is dormant at HMRC. It has a business account, unused. All of our funds (service charge monies) are in a separate client account.

19-11-2019, 14:44 PM
            • Reply to RMC - Dormant Status with HMRC - Banking
              by Gordon999
              If you pay all service charge money from leaseholders into one "client account" and use same bank account for paying all maintenance bills, then you will satisfy Companies House's requirement for keeping the RMC as a "dormant company"....
              21-11-2019, 21:52 PM
            • Collective enfranchisement - additional cost of airspace lease
              by Lorimer
              Wondering if anyone can advise on whether and how much a 999 year lease of airspace with a ground rent of £1,500 per annum, rising by £100.00 per annum every 15 years will impact on the premium we are likely to pay to buy the freehold of our building?

The background:
              We have been...
              16-11-2019, 07:49 AM
            • Reply to Collective enfranchisement - additional cost of airspace lease
              by nukecad
              It's an important distinction.

FTT rulings are not 'Case Law', UT rulings are.
              If it was FTT then it's not going to be published as a matter of course, UT rulings are but can take a bit of finding....
              21-11-2019, 18:51 PM
            • Section 20 query & liability dispute
              by adam2000
              Hi

I'm hoping somebody can offer some advice on a current section 20 & overall liability dispute we are currently faced with?

High level background:
              Freeholder issued a section 20 notice on all leaseholders (14 in total) for repairs to an apartment roof terrace,...
              21-11-2019, 18:17 PM
            Working...
            X