Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurring cracks in walls and ceilings

Hi,

I bought a leasehold flat around a year ago.

When I bought the flat there were cracks in the walls and ceilings. About 1mm wide and quite long. I had a survey before I bought and the survey said that the wall crack was evidence of historic slight structural movement, and the ceiling cracks were shrinkage, and it was no major problem.

After I moved in I contacted the freeholder and they sent their surveyor round, who said the same thing, and the management company advised me to fill and paint the cracks.

I've now had the cracks filled and painted (at a considerable expense) but within the space of a few weeks the cracks have returned. It seems like the movement is quite dynamic.

My question is, should I go back to the management company and get them to fix the underlying problem? And are they responsible for the damage to my walls and ceilings?

There is a clause in the lease that says I must keep the flat in a good state of decoration, which is not possible if the plaster cracks every few weeks!

Any advice is appreciated.

Is this plasterboard or plaster?

Plasterboard often cracks, and there is nothing the management co can do about it. You need to strip out and re-tape & skim if it bothers you.

Comment

The ceilings are plasterboard, so the issue probably is just shrinkage.

I'm more concerned about the wall crack. The wall is plastered and cracked diagonally around the window. I think to remedy properly it would need taking back to brick and then replastering.

Comment

Oh, well unless the crack extends to outside, I would have thought an internal crack was also your problem rather than man co. Could you not put a curtain over it, or a bit of furniture, and remove it from your mind?

Comment

Did they fill them with the right stuff? You need flexible filler else it does just crack again.

Comment

What is above your ceiling? Do they have a covered floor above? You can not be expected to repaint and fill every few weeks...no go back and say there is an issue and get them to help you repair and maintain the building..

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
              uoeno
              Hello. I am the owner of a residential apartment, which I use as my main residence, which is managed by a property management company, to whom I pay a monthly service fee, and a residents management company, of which the PMC is one of the directors. The freehold of the land is owned and managed by a...
              15-10-2019, 15:50 PM
            • Reply to Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
              scot22
              I have 're read the original post and it still seems to me that everything is perfectly reasonable. However, if selling avoid disputes with neighbours.
              Block any email address you don't want to receive. Chase up your estate agent and escape asap.
              17-10-2019, 18:59 PM
            • Doubling rent
              SandraHope
              My solicitor has strongly advised me against purchasing a flat as it has just come to light that the recently renewed lease has had its ground rent increased 100% and it is also on a doubling basis. My solicitor has advised us that mortgage companies are becoming more reluctant to offer mortgages on...
              16-10-2019, 19:31 PM
            • Reply to Doubling rent
              michelle230
              Good to know if you have children/grandchildren, you'll be more than happy for them to purchase these traps. At least * someone * will be lucky enough to escape and pass on the burden....
              17-10-2019, 17:21 PM
            • Reply to Doubling rent
              michelle230
              Gordon999 Spot on!...
              17-10-2019, 17:16 PM
            • Reply to Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
              Jon66
              Perhaps you would be better off finding a more suitable property as clearly this one is no longer suitable. By the sounds of it, all parties would see this as a good solution.

Just because your circumstances change, trying to bend the lease to suit this is probably not the best way of...
              17-10-2019, 15:40 PM
            • Reply to Doubling rent
              Gordon999
              Many older properties were sold on 99 years lease term and small annual ground rent which doubled after every 33 years.

The problem with 99 years leasehold property , the mortgage lenders are reluctant to offer mortgage loan below 70 years terms . The cost to seek lease extension when...
              17-10-2019, 15:36 PM
            • Reply to Doubling rent
              michelle230
              Untrue. Who said * all * rising ground rents are a problem. Onerous ground rent terms are. As lenders acknowledge. Hence them not lending. Hence sales falling through. Hence many trapped in unsaleable homes....
              17-10-2019, 15:21 PM
            • Reply to Doubling rent
              sgclacy
              It was lender knee jerk reaction to the problems of 10 year doublers.

The lenders may themselves find that they could be "hoist with his own petard" if lessees abandon their properties for being un-mortageable...
              17-10-2019, 14:36 PM
            • Reply to Doubling rent
              leaseholder64
              One problem with setting arbitrary hard limits is that you end up with something like the interesting number paradox, and any ground rent at all becomes unsafe!
              17-10-2019, 14:27 PM
            Working...
            X