Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurring cracks in walls and ceilings

Hi,

I bought a leasehold flat around a year ago.

When I bought the flat there were cracks in the walls and ceilings. About 1mm wide and quite long. I had a survey before I bought and the survey said that the wall crack was evidence of historic slight structural movement, and the ceiling cracks were shrinkage, and it was no major problem.

After I moved in I contacted the freeholder and they sent their surveyor round, who said the same thing, and the management company advised me to fill and paint the cracks.

I've now had the cracks filled and painted (at a considerable expense) but within the space of a few weeks the cracks have returned. It seems like the movement is quite dynamic.

My question is, should I go back to the management company and get them to fix the underlying problem? And are they responsible for the damage to my walls and ceilings?

There is a clause in the lease that says I must keep the flat in a good state of decoration, which is not possible if the plaster cracks every few weeks!

Any advice is appreciated.

Is this plasterboard or plaster?

Plasterboard often cracks, and there is nothing the management co can do about it. You need to strip out and re-tape & skim if it bothers you.

Comment

The ceilings are plasterboard, so the issue probably is just shrinkage.

I'm more concerned about the wall crack. The wall is plastered and cracked diagonally around the window. I think to remedy properly it would need taking back to brick and then replastering.

Comment

Oh, well unless the crack extends to outside, I would have thought an internal crack was also your problem rather than man co. Could you not put a curtain over it, or a bit of furniture, and remove it from your mind?

Comment

Did they fill them with the right stuff? You need flexible filler else it does just crack again.

Comment

What is above your ceiling? Do they have a covered floor above? You can not be expected to repaint and fill every few weeks...no go back and say there is an issue and get them to help you repair and maintain the building..

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Licence to Alter
              vmart
              Should the leaseholder be given the original signed copy of a Licence to Alter (LTA)? Our landlord created a deed (LTA) to provide us with permission for work we are planning but we were given a photo copy of the completed document but think we should retain the original.

Thank you.
              21-10-2019, 09:48 AM
            • Reply to Licence to Alter
              Lawcruncher
              A licence is a consent to do something and you give the original to the person who needs the consent.
              21-10-2019, 23:37 PM
            • FTT decisions
              vmart
              Is there any rule regarding the time a decision must be received from the FTT?

Thank you.
              21-10-2019, 09:43 AM
            • Reply to FTT decisions
              HazeltonLane
              We just went through the process for a straightforward application to vary leases under Section 35 (paper determination). Ours took four months from application to receipt of decision.
              21-10-2019, 22:58 PM
            • Case law damp
              scot22
              I know I've posted many times on this subject, apologies.
              The issue is tanking first floor flat where none has existed. External wall has been carefully maintained. I have searched but not able to find any cases.
              Also could freeholder be liable for any internal work such as plaster....
              01-10-2019, 09:04 AM
            • Reply to Case law damp
              scot22
              Being concerned for people's well being I will do my utmost not to post anything else on the subject. Nearly everyone is completely fed up with the unfounded claim. I appreciate every contribution that has been given.
              There are people fixated on their own opinion. Trying to forget about hi...
              21-10-2019, 20:15 PM
            • Reply to Case law damp
              leaseholder64
              Gordon999 You need to read all Scot's postings on this subject to get the big picture.
              21-10-2019, 19:25 PM
            • Reply to Case law damp
              scot22
              Victorian random stone rubble infill. Everything checked many times but intransigent leaseholder. Even wants Freeholder to pay for a new kitchen !
              21-10-2019, 18:49 PM
            • Reply to FTT decisions
              Macromia
              My most recent decision came through in just over 6 weeks.
              21-10-2019, 17:39 PM
            • Freeholder permission and checks
              c118
              We have recently purchased a maisonette leasehold and the entire freehold of the building (one other flat on the ground floor). In regards to freehold permission for a conservatory extension, are there any resources online that advise what checks should be completed/information required prior to permission...
              21-10-2019, 08:10 AM
            Working...
            X