S168

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S168

How crazy would it be to apply to the tribunal as litigant in person to ask them to determine a breach of lease re property disrepair ( the responsibility is on leaseholders, not freeholder) ?

Opinions?
    Thanks

What is your relationship to the person in breach?

It would be almost essential for the landlord to apply to the tribunal for such purposes, and the original intent was that it could be done as LIP.

Are there complex questions of law involved?

Comment

None.

There is history of no repairs carried out on the property with issues logged to environmental health over the last 3 years and repairs only carried out when there was an enforcement notice from the council, which was 3 years ago. Since then there were more issues logged.

Comment

If you are not a party to the lease, I can't see that the FTT would take the case.

Comment

We need some more information please. Who are the parties to the lease, is there a managing agent involved? What type of works? When you say that the responsibility is on the leaseholders, do you mean that the leaseholders pay for the repairs? Who should arrange the works? Was the enforcement notice against the freeholder?

What is the leaseholder trying to achieve? If he wants works to be carried out, he would be better applying to the Council.If he is looking for a Tribunal to appoint a manager, it may be worthwhile.

The Tribunals are supposed to be intended for litigants in person to bring cases.

Comment

No meaningful advice possible here without being able to understand the rudiments of the scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post

What is the leaseholder trying to achieve? If he wants works to be carried out, he would be better applying to the Council.If he is looking for a Tribunal to appoint a manager, it may be worthwhile.

Leaseholders trying to achieve a house not falling to pieces.
              lease is pretty odd, it is basically a commonly where the responsibility of the leaseholders to keep building in good repair. And freehold literally just collects the ground rent and has no responsibility to arrange repairs.
              ​​​​​​​
              council doesn't see an issue - we tried already. Though may try again. Thanks for reminding and can be used in court as evidence.

Comment

Where do the council fit in? You seem to be assuming we know details that you haven't revealed.

Comment

Not odd at all, an odd lease would be one that has no repairing obligations on lessee.
                  Enforcement would normally be down to Freeholder so suggest you contact him and point out that his property is being allowed to go to rack & ruin (and presumably all H&S legislation is also being ignored) if he doesn't help you can apply to FTT to appoint a manager but failings would need to serious and demonstrable.

Comment

Why is this thread called S168 ?

Comment

Section 168 of the Comonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002 is the one that requires a tribunal to confirm a breach before the lessor can seek forfeiture. It really isn't relevant to the OP if they have no interest in the property, although I suppose someone else requesting the FTT judgement, if they are even allowed to, might save the lessor some work.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...15/section/168

Comment

Hi All, so nearly a year later. I'm now a freeholder (co). So my question is property is obviously getting no better. So what we would like to do is to issue the ground demand to the non participating leaseholder for the outstanding monies and then the question is just issue the list of all repairs or just the ones that need to be done as a priority and keep the list open i.e. this is the list of most urgent repairs something along this line not to loose the forfeiture option and not to make ourselves open to the defence of historical neglect?

Comment

Hi Bumping the thread up.
                          the freehold was sold with outstanding arreas and as much as we would like to start recouping some monies, would it jeopardise the possible forfeiture claim if we claim for them?
                          the disrepair is ongoing for a while, and we are to formally demand the repairs to start.

Comment

We don't understand your issue Anna, so people can't really help.

1. Is the property yours?
                            2. How many people are in it, how many leaseholders
                            3. Is there a freeholder
                            4. Is there a Managing Agent
                            5. What is the issue with teh property
                            6. What have you reported to the council
                            7. What is the council's relationship to you

Start from the top and imagine we're all clueless.

Comment

Hi @Benzo,

1) yes
                              2) 3 leaseholders, one of them BTL and he keeps his property in disrepair and generally don't see any problem with the property 3) 2 co freeholders , I'm one of them
                              4) no
                              5) walls are in poor state, raising damp, penetrating damp, hall needs to be fully redecorated ( skirting boards etc), roof issues
                              6) we have a porch threatening to collapse and when council have assessed it, they issued a letter before action - that is when the leaseholder accepted and paid for repairs

7)none, I'm just using them a point of 3 party evidence to be used in court

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Lease variation
                                by bazann
                                Hi,
                                My elderly mother [99 years+] owns a flat in a residential block under a 125 year Lease dated 24th May 1989. The Lessor is a housing association. My mother purchased the flat in early 2011 with the benefit of said Lease.
                                There is the usual monthly service charge which includes e.g. maintenance...
                                26-11-2020, 16:28 PM
                              • Reply to Lease variation
                                by Lawcruncher
                                Whilst "resident warden" is clear, I am not sure that in the context of sheltered accommodation "residential warden" can be taken to mean something other than a resident warden. "Residential" is not a word I would use to describe a person. If the warden has until recently...
                                27-11-2020, 08:43 AM
                              • Insulation - necessity or improvement?
                                by bethy
                                We are L/H on a top floor flat. Roof is responsibility of F/H to maintain through service charge.

A loft hatch was installed last year to give access to the roof space for roof repairs. This has shown that there is no insulation whatsoever in the roof space - the property was converted...
                                26-11-2020, 12:37 PM
                              • Reply to Insulation - necessity or improvement?
                                by bethy
                                It's a bit of a mess really, and a long story... They owned the whole building and ran a restaurant downstairs. Then converted upstairs into two flats to rent out. Then got into money problems and sold leaseholds to the flats. Service charges are split between restaurant and two flats. It's a terrace...
                                27-11-2020, 00:03 AM
                                by Macromia
                                If there has never been any loft insulation, putting it in now would technically be an improvement, so the I suspect that the freeholder would be under no obligation to arrange for insulation to be installed.

If the building was converted into flats "just over ten years ago",...
                                26-11-2020, 21:56 PM
                              • Reply to Yet more 'notice to underlet fees' £135 and going up!!
                                by Macromia
                                This information is crucial.

If your lease states that underletting is allowed but you need to pay "notice to underlet" fees of £xxx biannually, and these fees are to be increased in line with inflation, there is unlikely to be any legal argument that helps you.

26-11-2020, 21:32 PM
                              • Yet more 'notice to underlet fees' £135 and going up!!
                                by November26
                                Hi

I have been trawling the internet for updates to challenges around 'notice of underletting fees' and I'm not sure of the current position. My landlord is still playing ignorant and deeming their extortionate bi-annual amount 'reasonable'. Are there county court judgements or upper tribunal...
                                25-11-2020, 18:02 PM
                              • Reply to Forfeiture Procedure and Costs
                                by Aboosimbel
                                Dear FlyingFeehold,
                                Thanks for the reply. You're quite right First Tier Tribunal not Land Tribunal !!!. I take your point with the analogy of the barking dog, and I do agree. However I like to be in a position to have an informed conversation with Lawyers, and I think getting the opinion of people...
                                26-11-2020, 19:35 PM
                              • Forfeiture Procedure and Costs
                                by Aboosimbel
                                Dear Landlordzoners,

This problem requires the advice of an experienced freeholder to help, as its a little complicated.

I own a freehold of a house split into three flats (I also own one of the flats). One flat had been used as a brother since 2014 until the police finally...
                                27-10-2020, 21:39 PM
                                by bethy
                                Porgie,

That's my understanding. Then really comes down to whose responsibility to do it/pay for it.
                                26-11-2020, 16:45 PM
                              Working...
                              X