S168

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S168

How crazy would it be to apply to the tribunal as litigant in person to ask them to determine a breach of lease re property disrepair ( the responsibility is on leaseholders, not freeholder) ?

Opinions?
    Thanks

What is your relationship to the person in breach?

It would be almost essential for the landlord to apply to the tribunal for such purposes, and the original intent was that it could be done as LIP.

Are there complex questions of law involved?

Comment

None.

There is history of no repairs carried out on the property with issues logged to environmental health over the last 3 years and repairs only carried out when there was an enforcement notice from the council, which was 3 years ago. Since then there were more issues logged.

Comment

If you are not a party to the lease, I can't see that the FTT would take the case.

Comment

We need some more information please. Who are the parties to the lease, is there a managing agent involved? What type of works? When you say that the responsibility is on the leaseholders, do you mean that the leaseholders pay for the repairs? Who should arrange the works? Was the enforcement notice against the freeholder?

What is the leaseholder trying to achieve? If he wants works to be carried out, he would be better applying to the Council.If he is looking for a Tribunal to appoint a manager, it may be worthwhile.

The Tribunals are supposed to be intended for litigants in person to bring cases.

Comment

No meaningful advice possible here without being able to understand the rudiments of the scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post

What is the leaseholder trying to achieve? If he wants works to be carried out, he would be better applying to the Council.If he is looking for a Tribunal to appoint a manager, it may be worthwhile.

Leaseholders trying to achieve a house not falling to pieces.
              lease is pretty odd, it is basically a commonly where the responsibility of the leaseholders to keep building in good repair. And freehold literally just collects the ground rent and has no responsibility to arrange repairs.
              ​​​​​​​
              council doesn't see an issue - we tried already. Though may try again. Thanks for reminding and can be used in court as evidence.

Comment

Where do the council fit in? You seem to be assuming we know details that you haven't revealed.

Comment

Not odd at all, an odd lease would be one that has no repairing obligations on lessee.
                  Enforcement would normally be down to Freeholder so suggest you contact him and point out that his property is being allowed to go to rack & ruin (and presumably all H&S legislation is also being ignored) if he doesn't help you can apply to FTT to appoint a manager but failings would need to serious and demonstrable.

Comment

Why is this thread called S168 ?

Comment

Section 168 of the Comonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002 is the one that requires a tribunal to confirm a breach before the lessor can seek forfeiture. It really isn't relevant to the OP if they have no interest in the property, although I suppose someone else requesting the FTT judgement, if they are even allowed to, might save the lessor some work.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...15/section/168

Comment

Hi All, so nearly a year later. I'm now a freeholder (co). So my question is property is obviously getting no better. So what we would like to do is to issue the ground demand to the non participating leaseholder for the outstanding monies and then the question is just issue the list of all repairs or just the ones that need to be done as a priority and keep the list open i.e. this is the list of most urgent repairs something along this line not to loose the forfeiture option and not to make ourselves open to the defence of historical neglect?

Comment

Hi Bumping the thread up.
                          the freehold was sold with outstanding arreas and as much as we would like to start recouping some monies, would it jeopardise the possible forfeiture claim if we claim for them?
                          the disrepair is ongoing for a while, and we are to formally demand the repairs to start.

Comment

We don't understand your issue Anna, so people can't really help.

1. Is the property yours?
                            2. How many people are in it, how many leaseholders
                            3. Is there a freeholder
                            4. Is there a Managing Agent
                            5. What is the issue with teh property
                            6. What have you reported to the council
                            7. What is the council's relationship to you

Start from the top and imagine we're all clueless.

Comment

Hi @Benzo,

1) yes
                              2) 3 leaseholders, one of them BTL and he keeps his property in disrepair and generally don't see any problem with the property 3) 2 co freeholders , I'm one of them
                              4) no
                              5) walls are in poor state, raising damp, penetrating damp, hall needs to be fully redecorated ( skirting boards etc), roof issues
                              6) we have a porch threatening to collapse and when council have assessed it, they issued a letter before action - that is when the leaseholder accepted and paid for repairs

7)none, I'm just using them a point of 3 party evidence to be used in court

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to would an RTM company now be responsible for fixing the roof?
                                by tigerprawn
                                Hello Chris - thanks for your reply. I'm 1 of 4 directors in a 6 flat block. Over years the roof has been neglected and we're in the unfortunate postion of probably needing a very expensive repair (leaks are small, but the source can't be located). At the moment it looks like the freeholder (who is...
                                25-10-2020, 17:38 PM
                              • would an RTM company now be responsible for fixing the roof?
                                by tigerprawn
                                Hi -
                                - in the lease it states that the Lessor (named as the freeholder) has responsibility for maintaining the roof / basement etc.

but with a new RTM company in place - does the company take on that responsibility?

any helpful points regarding RTM and fixing roofes...
                                24-10-2020, 18:39 PM
                              • Reply to Refusal to enforce leasehold covenants
                                by nukecad
                                Possibly if it's a macerating toilet, and the macerator itself could be noisy.

Then again it may be a pump to boot the pressure for a power shower.
                                Not that unusual in upper storey bathrooms.

If it's only comming from the bathroom then the noise may even be a run-on extractor...
                                25-10-2020, 17:32 PM
                              • Refusal to enforce leasehold covenants
                                by Sussex818
                                I am living in a leasehold property and there is a plumbing issue from above (water hammer I beleive) where everytime the water is used in the flat above there is a vibration that can be heard in the whole flat and is very disturbing

We don't own the freehold but the lease differentiates...
                                24-10-2020, 12:50 PM
                                by Sussex818
                                The vibrations only come from the bathroom but can be heard throughout my whole flat when water is running in there, or when the toilet flushes. They are trying to palm me off by saying it is a water pump (would a water pump even come into action when toilet flushing?) and that it is normal noise but...
                                25-10-2020, 17:21 PM
                              • Potential mistake in original lease
                                by Sue Chang
                                I just bought a leasehold flat. My landlord is the council, but it is an underlessor and has its landlord as well, which is the freeholder. The original lease states a length of 125 years but all my neighbours are 107 years. I think 107 years make more sense here the original headlease between council...
                                25-10-2020, 09:43 AM
                              • Reply to Potential mistake in original lease
                                by Sue Chang
                                Yes when I bid for this property I expected it to be 107 years. But later on my solicitor spotted this difference and checked with Land Registry, who told us it should be 125 years and they could amend it for free, which started to confuse me. Because I realised it could be a title defect which might...
                                25-10-2020, 17:17 PM
                                by nukecad
                                Mmm, but that is 'water hammer' a sudden banging or knocking noise. (Usually only one each time but it can be a couple).

Vibrations/wailing noise while the water is running is usually caused by a worn washer/seal or other valve part.
                                Toilet fill is the first suspect, followed by tap...
                                25-10-2020, 17:08 PM
                              • Reply to Potential mistake in original lease
                                by AndrewDod
                                You paid for 107 years. Why do you want 125. Whether there was a mistake or not, that is what you paid for....
                                25-10-2020, 16:50 PM
                                by flyingfreehold
                                Sometimes the immediate landlord has a headlease, and the freehold is owned by a charity. The freeholder is the superior landlord. The reason the great London Estates granted headleases is that they didn't want to deal with tenants, that all fell to the headlessee, who pays a rent, and sometimes one...
                                25-10-2020, 15:03 PM
                              Working...
                              X