Who has rights over the boundary fence?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has rights over the boundary fence?

If you own the leasehold for two neighbouring properties, does the fence in between belong to the leaseholder? Both properties are rented out by different landlords, one tenant wants to put a new fence up, which in ordinary terms would be the neighbours, however, the landlord owns both leaseholds? The leaseholder landlord is happy for it to be erected. I might also add, the current fence is attached to the leaseholders property.

None of that makes any sense to me at (least).
    Could you please try again.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Sorry, will try again! One landlord owns the leasehold for two neighbouring properties. One is rented out by that landlord, the other rented out by a different one. Who owns the fence in the middle?
      Sorry it seems an odd question. My landlord owns the lease, and has given me permission to put up a new fence. It was going to be built next to the existing one, however he has just told me he owns the leasehold for next door too. Its being started next Tuesday!
      We would like to know if our landlord owns the fence, so it can be taken down completely, instead of being built next to it.

Comment

The boundary is just an imaginary line.
        And any fence is just a marker that may or may not be on the actual boudary.

The original fence belongs to whoever paid for it in the first place.

Comment

It is prob a Party fence. I would say the owner is prob the Freeholder of the land.

Comment

If the fence is between two pieces of land owned by the same person which property it's part of is academic, it's owned by the owner regardless.

It doesn't matter if the ownership is leasehold or freehold.
            Being named as a landlord doesn't change the ownership.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I think you should start again as to me when you say landlord it is very unclear whether you mean landlord as in a leaseholder renting to a tenant, or landlord as in freeholder leasing out both flats to leaseholders.

With two leasehold flats side by side a fence would generally belong to one one other of the leaseholders(whether landlords to tenants or not) and not to the freeholder who leases the flats.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X