are online surveys allowed to be used to poll / vote in RMC / RTM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are online surveys allowed to be used to poll / vote in RMC / RTM?

My flats have people i'm sure who live away. Neighbours can't confirm who is renting or leaseholder. It's a RMC. It got me thinking about votes of the members and how to get them. An online survey seemed practical (we do it at work). Has anyone know if a survey can be used as a way of voting for things, or has it got to be bums on seats and hands up, or done on a paper slip? when people can even live overseas, seems practical if nothing else! Any suggestions welcome cheers

Companies don't work that way. You send out notices for meetings to the address for service of each lessee (which the company will know). You also send out proxy voting notices when relevant. If lessees don't get the notices because they don't actually receive post at the address for service, that's hard lines.

Comment

You have to look at the company articles.

Often people without a UK address are not entitled to be invited.

Ballots generally have to be done either as postal ballots, by proxy or by people who are able to fully participate in the meeting. It is possible to have articles that allow participation to be electronic, but everyone must know what everyone else is saying.

Many large membership societies allow proxy preferences to be recorded electronically, but they are still technically proxy votes.

RTM articles generally cannot be changed, but allow for teleconferencing type meetings (as long as everyone can fully participate in the debate). For RMCs, it will depend on how old the articles are.

Although electronic nomination of proxies has a similar effect to what you want, it is always better for people to be exposed to the debate.

Postal ballots have quite a long timeout if not enough people vote to establish a clear majority, and best for cases where there is no need for debate.

Comment

Regarding formal meetings of members. you can send out and receive proxy forms by email, as long as the notice of the meeting states that is an option. You should keep a written record of decisions made by members so the proxy forms should be retained so that they may be produced if necessary,

There is nothing to stop a Company from holding informal meetings and arranging online surveys. The results would not be legally binding on the Company but the directors could use the results to make decisions.

Comment

There's nothing to stop you having online meetings (if not prohibited by your constitution - which is unlikely for an RMC) so you can teleconference on whatsapp or similar.
          You just need to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to participate so decisions can't be questioned subsequently.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
            There's nothing to stop you having online meetings (if not prohibited by your constitution - which is unlikely for an RMC) so you can teleconference on whatsapp or similar.
            You just need to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to participate so decisions can't be questioned subsequently.
            Well, maybe sort of. For example shareholders do not have to accept E-mail as an address for service.

Questioning of decisions by companies has nothing at all to do with whether everyone has the opportunity to participate. It is rule/law based.

Comment

I agree that everyone must be allowed to participate and that is the problem, not everyone has access to online facilities .Some people actually prefer the old fashioned idea of meeting and speaking to members.

Comment

that's a lot thoughtful and helpful answers, cheers

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to S168
                  by Anna1985
                  sgclacy , thank you - very helpful.
                  Is my understanding correct that I would need to contact mortgagee after I made an application to tribunal? And it would be done prior/post hearing?

Also, does anybody knows how long would it be for tribunal to process a case?

Currently...
                  26-09-2020, 05:50 AM
                • S168
                  by Anna1985
                  How crazy would it be to apply to the tribunal as litigant in person to ask them to determine a breach of lease re property disrepair ( the responsibility is on leaseholders, not freeholder) ?

Opinions?
                  Thanks...
                  25-08-2019, 18:30 PM
                • Reply to Front garden to parking
                  by nukecad
                  Again, what is the OP hoping to achieve?

It's highly unlikely that it will be dug up and the garden reinstated, or is the OP angling for financial compensation?
                  26-09-2020, 03:06 AM
                • Front garden to parking
                  by mikkimolly
                  I have a long lease on a flat in a Victorian converted building with a demised parking space on the driveway. The Landlord is currently selling the two other flats in the building, which previously were tenanted. To make them more profitable he has concreted over the front garden to create a parking...
                  25-09-2020, 15:10 PM
                • Reply to Lease extension - should I pursue non statutory?
                  by theta
                  It's not doubling every 10 years, it's reviewed every 10 years in line with RPI....
                  25-09-2020, 20:49 PM
                • Lease extension - should I pursue non statutory?
                  by theta
                  I received a section 42 notice for a statutory lease extension for a flat where I own the freehold. There are 87 years remaining on the lease, and ground rent review is every 10 years linked to RPI (next review 2027).
                  My appointed managing agent recommended a solicitor with experience on this,...
                  25-09-2020, 07:56 AM
                  by theta
                  Not 23 years, I mentioned 200 years instead of 90, and I could have said 1000 years, that's not really the point.
                  The point is that the statutory route prescribes a specific lease extension, leaving only the price up to negotiation.
                  I'm considering offering an alternative that could be a...
                  25-09-2020, 20:43 PM
                  by flyingfreehold
                  let the stat extn take its course. ten year doubling ground rents are unconscionable, the maths is that they equate to a 7.% annual compound. The traditionaly 33 year doubler is equivalent to an annual compound rate of 2.12% and 25 yearly equals to 2.7% compound rate. I am pretty sure the Government...
                  25-09-2020, 20:37 PM
                  by MrSoffit
                  So one of your lessees has instructed and paid a solicitor and presumably a valuer too to exercise a legal right to have a lease etxension +90 years (87+90 = 177 years) with peppercorn ground rent - and you ask here if there is any danger to you cutting through the legal process and offering an informal...
                  25-09-2020, 19:48 PM
                • Reply to Front garden to parking
                  by scot22
                  I would object. Nobody should be allowed to ignore the lease. He has taken away an amenity. Where will water drain that went on the garden.

I'm sure if you wanted to do something that increased the value of your flat he would want compensation.

I would politely inform him...
                  25-09-2020, 19:00 PM
                Working...
                X