are online surveys allowed to be used to poll / vote in RMC / RTM?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are online surveys allowed to be used to poll / vote in RMC / RTM?

My flats have people i'm sure who live away. Neighbours can't confirm who is renting or leaseholder. It's a RMC. It got me thinking about votes of the members and how to get them. An online survey seemed practical (we do it at work). Has anyone know if a survey can be used as a way of voting for things, or has it got to be bums on seats and hands up, or done on a paper slip? when people can even live overseas, seems practical if nothing else! Any suggestions welcome cheers

Companies don't work that way. You send out notices for meetings to the address for service of each lessee (which the company will know). You also send out proxy voting notices when relevant. If lessees don't get the notices because they don't actually receive post at the address for service, that's hard lines.

Comment

You have to look at the company articles.

Often people without a UK address are not entitled to be invited.

Ballots generally have to be done either as postal ballots, by proxy or by people who are able to fully participate in the meeting. It is possible to have articles that allow participation to be electronic, but everyone must know what everyone else is saying.

Many large membership societies allow proxy preferences to be recorded electronically, but they are still technically proxy votes.

RTM articles generally cannot be changed, but allow for teleconferencing type meetings (as long as everyone can fully participate in the debate). For RMCs, it will depend on how old the articles are.

Although electronic nomination of proxies has a similar effect to what you want, it is always better for people to be exposed to the debate.

Postal ballots have quite a long timeout if not enough people vote to establish a clear majority, and best for cases where there is no need for debate.

Comment

Regarding formal meetings of members. you can send out and receive proxy forms by email, as long as the notice of the meeting states that is an option. You should keep a written record of decisions made by members so the proxy forms should be retained so that they may be produced if necessary,

There is nothing to stop a Company from holding informal meetings and arranging online surveys. The results would not be legally binding on the Company but the directors could use the results to make decisions.

Comment

There's nothing to stop you having online meetings (if not prohibited by your constitution - which is unlikely for an RMC) so you can teleconference on whatsapp or similar.
          You just need to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to participate so decisions can't be questioned subsequently.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
            There's nothing to stop you having online meetings (if not prohibited by your constitution - which is unlikely for an RMC) so you can teleconference on whatsapp or similar.
            You just need to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to participate so decisions can't be questioned subsequently.
            Well, maybe sort of. For example shareholders do not have to accept E-mail as an address for service.

Questioning of decisions by companies has nothing at all to do with whether everyone has the opportunity to participate. It is rule/law based.

Comment

I agree that everyone must be allowed to participate and that is the problem, not everyone has access to online facilities .Some people actually prefer the old fashioned idea of meeting and speaking to members.

Comment

that's a lot thoughtful and helpful answers, cheers

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Sharing cost
                  Affinity
                  Hello
                  I am selling my flat. In order to do so I had to pay for a asbestos certificate which cost me £400+vat.
                  Is it fair to ask the other freeholders to share the cost? The building has three flats and we share the freehold.
                  Your views are appreciated.
                  19-09-2019, 16:51 PM
                • Reply to Sharing cost
                  Affinity
                  Thanks for your replies.
                  The building was build at the end of 19 century and converted into flats in the 80s
                  21-09-2019, 12:59 PM
                • Reply to Sharing cost
                  eagle2
                  I agree, the other 2 leaseholders and joint freeholders should be approached and asked to contribute towards the cost in exchange for a copy of the report which they will need....
                  21-09-2019, 11:15 AM
                • Can you forfeit a 999 year lease for renting on Airbnb?
                  2019 New Member
                  Hi All,

Can you successfully forfeit / gain possession of a 999 year lease for renting on Airbnb?

The lease mentions not being allowed to let the apartment for a term less than 6 months and the lease in question is a 999 year lease from 1995.

Thanks in advance...
                  19-09-2019, 07:03 AM
                • Reply to Can you forfeit a 999 year lease for renting on Airbnb?
                  scot22
                  A shame that consideration for other stakeholders and a general respect for the lease do not appear to have been important.
                  21-09-2019, 10:27 AM
                • Reply to Sharing cost
                  leaseholder64
                  One important point is that the whole case for sharing is based on the fact that the freeholders have failed to perform a statutory duty.

If the OP wanted something from them that they weren't obliged to have obtained anyway, and which is not something that the lease requires them to provide,...
                  21-09-2019, 10:03 AM
                • Reply to Sharing cost
                  leaseholder64
                  The OP would be writing to himself! He is one third of the freeholder.

This is a dysfunctional share of the freehold case....
                  21-09-2019, 09:21 AM
                • Reply to Sharing cost
                  sgclacy
                  The success in seeking reimbursement will depend more on the style and approach of your letter than the actual law.

i would write to the freeholder stating that you commissioned the asbestos report and as a consequence have undertaken a task which they should have undertaken - therefore...
                  21-09-2019, 09:05 AM
                • Reply to Sharing cost
                  leaseholder64
                  The leaseholders are the joint freeholders! If the lease requires the freeholder to pay, there really should have been a formal agreement that freeholder costs be split equally.

Is this one of these leases that tries to avoid having service charges?

Worst case is that the joint...
                  21-09-2019, 08:37 AM
                • Reply to Sharing cost
                  eagle2
                  It should be a shared expense payable by the freeholders or leaseholders depending on the wording of the lease. You should try to persuade the others in the block to contribute failing which you may need to threaten legal action.
                  21-09-2019, 08:07 AM
                Working...
                X