Fire escape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire escape

The freeholder and their managing agent have neglected the wooden fire escape which now needs major repairs. I have emailed them several times during the past two years including pictures. My flat is a leasehold first floor flat in a converted house where the ground floor flat comes with the freehold. I have today received a letter from the managing agent stating it needs to be removed immediately and they will just put a piece of ply blocking my kitchen door which leads on to the fire escape. If they had tended to if when I first email them the damage wouldn’t have been as bad as it is now and I just wanted some advice how to proceed. The freeholders wants it gone as it would make their garden bigger. They have suggested that I can put a juliet balcony at my own cost.

Can the freeholder remove the fire escape if I don’t agree to it?
    Juliet balcony is not possible as my kitchen door opens outward and inward would block the kitchen units, and anyway could they make me pay for alterations on my own and not part of the service charge?
    My flat is tenanted and I would like to keep the fire escape as ground floor flat frequently block the hallway with bikes and prams
    Would this now be improvement rather than maintenance and repairs?
    My lease states that service charge is 50% of total costs for maintenance/repairs and the fire escape is not mentioned in the lease and outside my red boundary line. I don’t mind paying for repairs to the fire escape as I always have done with previous freeholders.

Please don't ask the identical question again

Comment

Sounds like your property is lacking H&S & Fire inspections, request managing agent complies with legislation or ask you local authority housing standards department to intervene or the fire brigade. I doubt it can be removed.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X