Tenant would like her friend to park in her car park

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant would like her friend to park in her car park

My tenant, a very lovely lady I may add and a great tenant. She does not have a car but her friend of hers who does have one would like to use the car park. I myself do not mind, but I wonder if it would or could upset the Leaseholders of the other flat.

It doesnt say anything about it in the lease, just shows where the car parking area is for the flat.

My one worry is that the other Leaseholders may well think that it is trespass!

We also own Freehold so there is no Freeholder to ask.

As I said she is a lovely tenant and keeps the flat immaculate and is a very responsible person.

Her friend isn't called Mrs Parklet perchance is she?

https://www.parklet.co.uk

Comment

What does the tenancy agreement and your lease say about the car parking space?

Ideally the lease describes the situation as "use" of the space and the tenancy agreement parallels that.
      Then the tenant can do what they want as long as they are "using" the space.

Obviously, other wording is possible.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
        Her friend isn't called Mrs Parklet perchance is she?

https://www.parklet.co.uk
        Well I do not mind if she earns a little bit of lolly for letting her friend use it. It is her car park after all and comes with the flat. However my concern is that the other leaseholders may object and say they are trespassing or something like that.

If it keeps my tenant happy I am not worried. .

Comment

Do I have to explain to you what Parklet is?

It's not 'giving a friend a few quid to let you use a parking space'.

It's letting all & sundry park there. I think your fellow leaseholders would rightly object to that.

Comment

If your lease is the same as ours, does not specify must be leaseholder s car, then no problem. Not causing any problems with others. Good to have a pleasant person there. Only go deeper into situation of anyone finds a reason to complain.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
              Do I have to explain to you what Parklet is?

It's not 'giving a friend a few quid to let you use a parking space'.

It's letting all & sundry park there. I think your fellow leaseholders would rightly object to that.
              Yes you do. I did not know what you meant or mean. So sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by scot22 View Post
                If your lease is the same as ours, does not specify must be leaseholder s car, then no problem. Not causing any problems with others. Good to have a pleasant person there. Only go deeper into situation of anyone finds a reason to complain.
                Yes she is very pleasant person and likes things nice and after all it is her parking place, however I wonder if the others could get a bit nasty about it, after all the garden is only for residents and you have to go down through the garden to the car parking space and then walk up past the house. It would be a bit obvious a stranger not from the flats parking there. Should I perhaps restrict it to just during the week.

Comment

I see the problem. Most can be resolved with respectful communication. Is it worth circulating everyone explaining the situation and asking for people's thoughts ? It might be positive.

Comment

Simply put a note through neighbours letterboxes -

"Just a friendly note to let you know that as from {date} car registration number ABC123 will be parking in my designated parking space with my full permission."

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
                      Simply put a note through neighbours letterboxes -

"Just a friendly note to let you know that as from {date} car registration number ABC123 will be parking in my designated parking space with my full permission."
                      True, but the problem is I am not sure if I am allowed to let a tenant sublet any part of the demise, nor am I sure about what future problems could arise by allowing a complete stranger to walk into the garden. It is private and it could esculate to where we have cars being parked there at the week-ends as well etc etc. It is a difficult one and I cannot just tell the other leaseholders that, that is what is happening. I need to know if I am allowed or if it is going to cause problems further on down the line. Because I have to give my permission to allow that to happen. But not sure if I can allow or give permission for a complete stranger to come into the garden to park more or less permanently.

Comment

On reflection I think you are being too considerate. Could lead to other problems. Just say no and friend has to find somewhere else. I have found to my cost the risks of being too accommodating !

Comment

The parking space may well not be part of the demise.

You would, I hope, be licensing the space, not sub-letting it.

Are you sure that the easements for the grounds don't cover people permitted by you. It will cause you problems with trades people if they don't. I think we need to see the actual wording.

Comment

Originally posted by scot22 View Post
                            On reflection I think you are being too considerate. Could lead to other problems. Just say no and friend has to find somewhere else. I have found to my cost the risks of being too accommodating !
                            I agree. But I have allowed it. I have said though that the friend must only park in that parking area, in the correct manner, if by chance the car parking area is not available ie a workman is there, then the friend must park outside of the house and not in anyone else's car parking space, also I reserve the right to stop her using the car parking space if there are any complaints.

I spoke with the Agent about it and he said he couldnt see a problem as long as I put in a few conditions.

I so agree though you can be too considerate at times. I let a lady move in with a cat, next thing I know she had three and then didnt bother to have the carpet cleaned afterwards where their dirt tray was, but this tenant is very nice I must say and she has been more then accommodating to me as I have had to have work done in the flat and she had had to stay in it with all the plaster and render being removed from one and a half wall and she does keep the flat lovely. It looks like a show home.

She may be getting a bit of money from it but I do not mind that, she pays her rent on time and pays her bills. So a little bit of give doesnt hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                              The parking space may well not be part of the demise.

You would, I hope, be licensing the space, not sub-letting it.

Are you sure that the easements for the grounds don't cover people permitted by you. It will cause you problems with trades people if they don't. I think we need to see the actual wording.
                              Hello, no the parking place is demised to the flat. There is a place for trades people to park so that isnt a problem. There isnt any wording referring to the car park area, it just says it is the parking place is demised to the flat!

Each flat has their own car parking space which is marked out in the leases.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Can you forfeit a 999 year lease for renting on Airbnb?
                                2019 New Member
                                Hi All,

Can you successfully forfeit / gain possession of a 999 year lease for renting on Airbnb?

The lease mentions not being allowed to let the apartment for a term less than 6 months and the lease in question is a 999 year lease from 1995.

Thanks in advance...
                                19-09-2019, 07:03 AM
                              • Reply to Can you forfeit a 999 year lease for renting on Airbnb?
                                Holy Cow
                                We've had this exact problem. Overseas owner contracted letting agent Haart to find a tenant, and within a few weeks there was a stream of AirBnb-ers and the local chipshop owner was the keyholder. Apparently there's a clause in Haart's letting contract that allows sublets to short term tenants and...
                                21-09-2019, 13:12 PM
                              • Sharing cost
                                Affinity
                                Hello
                                I am selling my flat. In order to do so I had to pay for a asbestos certificate which cost me £400+vat.
                                Is it fair to ask the other freeholders to share the cost? The building has three flats and we share the freehold.
                                Your views are appreciated.
                                19-09-2019, 16:51 PM
                              • Reply to Sharing cost
                                Affinity
                                Thanks for your replies.
                                The building was build at the end of 19 century and converted into flats in the 80s
                                21-09-2019, 12:59 PM
                              • Reply to Sharing cost
                                eagle2
                                I agree, the other 2 leaseholders and joint freeholders should be approached and asked to contribute towards the cost in exchange for a copy of the report which they will need....
                                21-09-2019, 11:15 AM
                              • Reply to Can you forfeit a 999 year lease for renting on Airbnb?
                                scot22
                                A shame that consideration for other stakeholders and a general respect for the lease do not appear to have been important.
                                21-09-2019, 10:27 AM
                              • Reply to Sharing cost
                                leaseholder64
                                One important point is that the whole case for sharing is based on the fact that the freeholders have failed to perform a statutory duty.

If the OP wanted something from them that they weren't obliged to have obtained anyway, and which is not something that the lease requires them to provide,...
                                21-09-2019, 10:03 AM
                              • Reply to Sharing cost
                                leaseholder64
                                The OP would be writing to himself! He is one third of the freeholder.

This is a dysfunctional share of the freehold case....
                                21-09-2019, 09:21 AM
                              • Reply to Sharing cost
                                sgclacy
                                The success in seeking reimbursement will depend more on the style and approach of your letter than the actual law.

i would write to the freeholder stating that you commissioned the asbestos report and as a consequence have undertaken a task which they should have undertaken - therefore...
                                21-09-2019, 09:05 AM
                              • Reply to Sharing cost
                                leaseholder64
                                The leaseholders are the joint freeholders! If the lease requires the freeholder to pay, there really should have been a formal agreement that freeholder costs be split equally.

Is this one of these leases that tries to avoid having service charges?

Worst case is that the joint...
                                21-09-2019, 08:37 AM
                              Working...
                              X