Shareholder not shown accounts before submitted to company house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Macromia View Post
    Unfortunately, this is one of the problems with having properties where leaseholders are also either shareholders, or members of a company - anyone who takes a minority position will be outvoted by the remaining shareholders/members.

In situations like this, the people who are in the minority are typically best off forgetting about challenging things as a shareholder/company member and challenging as a leaseholder. However, if doing this, this need to bear in mind that they may be responsible for a share of the companies costs in defending any action against them - even if they win a legal challenge against the company.

In this sort of situation, individual leaseholders whose views are outnumbered by other leaseholders, are often better off with an independent freeholder who they can challenge rathe than as a shareholder of a management company. This is why the push for abolishing leasehold in favour of common hold is a bad idea - common hold only works in situations where everyone involved takes into account the interests of everyone in a block and adheres to the requirements of the leases, but many people are only interested in what benefits them personally.
    We recently acted for a minority shareholder in a claim under these provisions of the Act in circumstances where a demand under section 431 was not complied with.
    It was argued on behalf of the company that our client was entitled to no more than a copy of what had been filed at Companies House, namely abbreviated and unaudited accounts. This was in the context of an ongoing legal dispute where the company was seeking to limit our client's access to information.
    The company's position was incorrect for reasons which were explained in correspondence. In short, the issue of whether a company is permitted to file abbreviated accounts at Companies House is entirely distinct from its statutory obligation to prepare full accounts for members.
    However, the company refused to comply and proceedings were issued by our client seeking an Order for the disclosure of the full unabbreviated annual accounts for the previous financial year.
    After hearing from both parties, the Court agreed with our submission that the company was in breach of its duties under the Act.
    It therefore ordered the immediate disclosure of the accounts and the company was ordered to pay our client's costs.

Comment

Hi Stacker,

I too stumbled across that web page during my complaint.

If you call them they will speak with you over the telephone and provide you with some free advice.

Do you receive Service Charge accounts?

If so does the managing agent file company dormant accounts with CH?

Comment

Originally posted by Stacker View Post
        We recently acted for a minority shareholder in a claim under these provisions of the Act in circumstances where a demand under section 431 was not complied with...
        [etc.]
        I'm not sure what you intended to prove by posting this (which seems to have been copy and pasted from a solicitors website).

You can take legal action against the company, and it's quite possible that you would win - that was never in dispute.

However, there is still the question of who actually ends up paying any costs that are incurred both by you and by the company (assuming that they defend against legal action). Even if you win a legal challenge and get your costs awarded against the company, you may still need to pay a share of all costs incurred by the company, included a share of whatever they end up having to pay you.

The company will likely have no source of income other than money raised from shareholders and/or leaseholders, so whether you have to contribute to the costs will depend on what the company articles and the leases say. If no one has any responsibility to pay costs of defending against legal action and any costs awarded against the company, the result of taking action could be that the management company is effectively bankrupted (potentially without you recovering your costs).

My point was that taking action against a leaseholder managed company may not benefit you even if you win, not that you can't take action against them.

Comment

Originally posted by fos333 View Post
          My company filed dormant accounts online so no director's report was filed.
          The directors' reports for even trading small companies are generally useless. They typically only contain the statutory, and extremely predictable, minimum.

If you want a good "directors'" report from a small organisation, you need to go for a non-profit, unincorporated, club or society with a turnover in the triple figures, not any company that uses accountants.

Comment

Hi Stacker,

I too stumbled across that web page during my complaint.

If you call them they will speak with you over the telephone and provide you with some free advice.

Do you receive Service Charge accounts?

If so does the managing agent file company dormant accounts with CH?
            Thanks again for your help...I receive nothing apart from demands with the service charge bit attached, they dont disclose much.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post

The directors' reports for even trading small companies are generally useless. They typically only contain the statutory, and extremely predictable, minimum.

If you want a good "directors'" report from a small organisation, you need to go for a non-profit, unincorporated, club or society with a turnover in the triple figures, not any company that uses accountants.
              Yes the minimum is what I was after and that is the names of all directors that had been directors through any part of that financial reporting period.

When you are up against a managing agent that wants to hijack and run your company for their own benefit and not for the leaseholders you attempt to obtain as much information as possible.

Comment

That information can be deduced from the people information available from Companies House.

Comment

That information can be deduced from the people information available from Companies House.
                  Thanks I have written to company's house and made a complaint about not being shown the accounts before filing at CH...anyone have the RICS guide where it quotes managing agent and landlords need to comply with communications as I need to quote this?

Comment

I know but thank you for your input. However it is still a requirement under s415 CA 2006 if not filing micro entity accounts, unless you can advise differently.

I am also trying to save Stacker or others with similar issues wasted time in sharing my past experiences.

I also contacted CH, went through the Ombudsman and also a very lengthy RICS complaint.

My solution was to obtain support from other members, unfortunately Stacker will not be able to achieve this and should be looking at actions as a leaseholder.

Comment

Most flat management companies are micro-entities.

Comment

I know but thank you for your input. However it is still a requirement under s415 CA 2006 if not filing micro entity accounts, unless you can advise differently.

I am also trying to save Stacker or others with similar issues wasted time in sharing my past experiences.

I also contacted CH, went through the Ombudsman and also a very lengthy RICS complaint.

My solution was to obtain support from other members, unfortunately Stacker will not be able to achieve this and should be looking at actions as a leaseholder.
                        Thank you for sharing Fos and yes helping other to be aware is helpful...I only have the leaseholder route so going that way hence getting as much professional help as possible to support my case because I can possibly see this going to FTT however my solicitor is advising me to let the others know what the surveyor has said and others, present info and give them a timescale to repair, if they dont then I will get the work done so my flat is safe and habitable then I shall sue for the recovery of monies, claim for damages and my legal costs...

Comment

Most flat management companies are micro-entities.
                          I would agree that most flat management companies would qualify as micro-entities.

However they prefer to file dormant accounts, where the requirement under s415 CA 2006 has not been removed.

Comment

I would agree that most flat management companies would qualify as micro-entities.

However they prefer to file dormant accounts, where the requirement under s415 CA 2006 has not been removed.
                            So could I take the company to court?
                            I came across the following which I foung helpful to distinguish between a shareholder and leaseholder

There are both legal and practical reasons why being a shareholder and being a leaseholder is different, even though you could be both.

As a shareholder or member of your RMC you will be entitled to take part in decision-making (although this will probably be restricted to voting to remove the board of directors). If you think the board has wrongfully exceeded its powers, you can take the company to Court under the Companies Act 2006. Your liability to the company and its creditors is limited to the extent of your shareholding or guarantee (this is commonly £1). You can’t otherwise be forced to participate in the running of the company.

As a leaseholder, you are contractually bound under your lease to abide by the covenants to the RMC or landlord, which will include the payment of service charges. Any breach of covenant would render you liable to Court action (possibly leading to forfeiture of your lease) or an appearance before the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) in England or the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal in Wales.

If you think that the RMC is in breach of its own covenants, or has acted or charged unreasonably, then you may take the company to Court or to the Tribunal under Landlord & Tenant legislation. Your rights as a leaseholder are not restricted if you’re also a member of an RMC.
                            An RMC board should never, and has no legal right to, take a decision that’s against the terms of the leases for the block — even if there’s complete unanimity. No managing agent should ever advise this either.

Tribunals will not view evidence of meeting agendas and minutes of meetings as relevant to issues that go against the terms of the lease and contravene Landlord and Tenant legislation.

Comment

Hi Stacker,

The above is from ARMA guidance note Understanding Residents Management Companies.

It basically informs you that as a member/shareholder of the RMC and also a leaseholder you have different rights.

From all other posts you have been advised that you will not succeed via the member/shareholder route because you will be outvoted four to one.

You have been advised to look at your rights as a leaseholder and you have taken steps as a leaseholder by acquiring a surveyors report, you stated this was the route you were taking.

You further say advice from your solicitor has been given and should be followed. Obtain quotes for the work and let your neighbours know and be amicable and reasonable in all correspondence sent.

There's no problem in completing a list of non compliance by your directors or managing agent to other issues, however all these issues should be secondary to your main issue of the structural damage to your flat caused by the damp.

If you are not receiving Service Charge accounts or statement of expenditure then look to see what the lease states.

Comment

I couldn't find anything that made dormant and micro-entity mutually incompatible.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Lease extension not on Land Registry
                                  JasUK
                                  Hi,
                                  I went to view a property which I am really interested in. I have a few issues I'd really appreciate some advice on:

1. The estate agent told me the lease is 150 years. I downloaded the title deed from the Land Registry. This states that the term of the lease is 99 years from...
                                  13-10-2019, 12:27 PM
                                • Reply to Lease extension not on Land Registry
                                  JasUK
                                  Thanks so much guys!! I spoke to the estate agent and you were right. They have extended the lease but their solicitor hasn't yet submitted the registration with the land registry. I haven't seen a copy of the lease yet but apparently there is right to park, so looking much more promising than I initially...
                                  18-10-2019, 13:13 PM
                                • Leashold extension
                                  PAP069
                                  Hi there,

I am the freeholder of a buiding of flats in London NW6.
                                  One of the leasholders is selling the flat and required to extend the lease and i want to understand how i can calculate the premium. Ofcourse i will use a solicitor but i just want a brief explanation of the calculation....
                                  18-10-2019, 05:32 AM
                                • Reply to Leashold extension
                                  vmart
                                  Hi PAP069

From your post, you are in the throes of negotiating a lease extension on an informal basis.

The first step is to arrange for a surveyor (RICS qualified) to undertake a valuation. The leaseholder pays the landlord's costs for the survey (you can ask for this in advance...
                                  18-10-2019, 08:47 AM
                                • Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
                                  uoeno
                                  Hello. I am the owner of a residential apartment, which I use as my main residence, which is managed by a property management company, to whom I pay a monthly service fee, and a residents management company, of which the PMC is one of the directors. The freehold of the land is owned and managed by a...
                                  15-10-2019, 15:50 PM
                                • Reply to Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
                                  scot22
                                  I have 're read the original post and it still seems to me that everything is perfectly reasonable. However, if selling avoid disputes with neighbours.
                                  Block any email address you don't want to receive. Chase up your estate agent and escape asap.
                                  17-10-2019, 18:59 PM
                                • Doubling rent
                                  SandraHope
                                  My solicitor has strongly advised me against purchasing a flat as it has just come to light that the recently renewed lease has had its ground rent increased 100% and it is also on a doubling basis. My solicitor has advised us that mortgage companies are becoming more reluctant to offer mortgages on...
                                  16-10-2019, 19:31 PM
                                • Reply to Doubling rent
                                  michelle230
                                  Good to know if you have children/grandchildren, you'll be more than happy for them to purchase these traps. At least * someone * will be lucky enough to escape and pass on the burden....
                                  17-10-2019, 17:21 PM
                                • Reply to Doubling rent
                                  michelle230
                                  Gordon999 Spot on!...
                                  17-10-2019, 17:16 PM
                                • Reply to Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
                                  Jon66
                                  Perhaps you would be better off finding a more suitable property as clearly this one is no longer suitable. By the sounds of it, all parties would see this as a good solution.

Just because your circumstances change, trying to bend the lease to suit this is probably not the best way of...
                                  17-10-2019, 15:40 PM
                                Working...
                                X