HELP - lease clause

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The property agent told you you can get consent for a house cat.

Your solicitor told you the lease says cats can be kept with consent.

The HA told you that they would grant permission pending the information provided. Presumably they want to reserve the right to refuse if you applied to keep a pet cougar or suchlike.

I don't think you're ever going to do better than all of that with a flat. They will never tell you you don't need consent because they need to be able to ban pets that cause a nuisance (noise, fleas, smell, whatever).

If it were me I would move in with my cat and stop worrying. (And make sure it doesn't disturb the neighbours!)

Comment

Originally posted by Jake0254 View Post
      the legality of a blanket ban is certainly questionable to say the least and would likely be objected to based upon the OFT Guidance (appreciate they don’t exist any longer, but I am assuming that any replacement guidance would mimic the general sense that such a blanket ban would be considered unfair - I haven’t found any replacement guidance yet)
      Regardless of its provenance, the OFT guidance was based on short term letting, not long term leases.
      It was called "Guidance on unfair terms in tenancy agreements"

The document has been replaced with a more general guide to unfair terms in contracts.
      But it relates to consumer contracts, which a property lease is not.
      You receive legal advice when you sign a lease, so you are presumed to be aware of what it is that you are signing.

If your solicitor actually believes that a term of the lease is unfair, he should advise you not to sign it.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by HazeltonLane View Post
        If it were me I would move in with my cat and stop worrying. (And make sure it doesn't disturb the neighbours!)
        Really? Bad advice. The way to do that is to hermetically seal all entrances and exits to your flat, have a space capsule like double front door with a shower unit, and seal all windows near other flat windows.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Sharing cost
          Affinity
          Hello
          I am selling my flat. In order to do so I had to pay for a asbestos certificate which cost me £400+vat.
          Is it fair to ask the other freeholders to share the cost? The building has three flats and we share the freehold.
          Your views are appreciated.
          19-09-2019, 16:51 PM
        • Reply to Sharing cost
          Affinity
          Thanks for your replies.
          The building was build at the end of 19 century and converted into flats in the 80s
          21-09-2019, 12:59 PM
        • Reply to Sharing cost
          eagle2
          I agree, the other 2 leaseholders and joint freeholders should be approached and asked to contribute towards the cost in exchange for a copy of the report which they will need....
          21-09-2019, 11:15 AM
        • Can you forfeit a 999 year lease for renting on Airbnb?
          2019 New Member
          Hi All,

Can you successfully forfeit / gain possession of a 999 year lease for renting on Airbnb?

The lease mentions not being allowed to let the apartment for a term less than 6 months and the lease in question is a 999 year lease from 1995.

Thanks in advance...
          19-09-2019, 07:03 AM
        • Reply to Can you forfeit a 999 year lease for renting on Airbnb?
          scot22
          A shame that consideration for other stakeholders and a general respect for the lease do not appear to have been important.
          21-09-2019, 10:27 AM
        • Reply to Sharing cost
          leaseholder64
          One important point is that the whole case for sharing is based on the fact that the freeholders have failed to perform a statutory duty.

If the OP wanted something from them that they weren't obliged to have obtained anyway, and which is not something that the lease requires them to provide,...
          21-09-2019, 10:03 AM
        • Reply to Sharing cost
          leaseholder64
          The OP would be writing to himself! He is one third of the freeholder.

This is a dysfunctional share of the freehold case....
          21-09-2019, 09:21 AM
        • Reply to Sharing cost
          sgclacy
          The success in seeking reimbursement will depend more on the style and approach of your letter than the actual law.

i would write to the freeholder stating that you commissioned the asbestos report and as a consequence have undertaken a task which they should have undertaken - therefore...
          21-09-2019, 09:05 AM
        • Reply to Sharing cost
          leaseholder64
          The leaseholders are the joint freeholders! If the lease requires the freeholder to pay, there really should have been a formal agreement that freeholder costs be split equally.

Is this one of these leases that tries to avoid having service charges?

Worst case is that the joint...
          21-09-2019, 08:37 AM
        • Reply to Sharing cost
          eagle2
          It should be a shared expense payable by the freeholders or leaseholders depending on the wording of the lease. You should try to persuade the others in the block to contribute failing which you may need to threaten legal action.
          21-09-2019, 08:07 AM
        Working...
        X