Late payment interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late payment interest

I have a lease and the landlord is claiming interest in a county court claim on what he considers to be late payments. No demands have been issued, no notice of tenants rights have been received, The lease says interest is payable at 4% above base rate on amounts which are 14 days overdue. The solicitors say that the landlord does not have to demand interest, it is a penalty to which he is contractually entitled. Is that right?

Was there a valid demand for the service charge, itself? The 14 days cannot start until that demand is properly issued.

Comment

Note that 4% above base rate is less than 0.1% per week, so hardly worth a big argument unless the original demand was invalid, or you are many months late.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply. There is a dispute over the service charge demands which will affect any calculation, but I am more interested in the principle of whether or not a demand for interest needs to be issued with the required notice or it can be avoided by the landlord applying directly to the court.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
          Note that 4% above base rate is less than 0.1% per week, so hardly worth a big argument unless the original demand was invalid, or you are many months late.
          It may well double the size of the claim -- based on the related post these seem to be outstanding for a decade or so. 4% above base rate compounded will be an approximate doubling.

Comment

Moderator2 this poster has asked three trivial questions on the identical topic in different threads which should probably be merged. OP you will do a liot better to tell the whole story/scenario in one post -- not small legal trick questions (this is not how this forum works).

Comment

Please excuse my ignorance if I am wrong to start different threads, They may seem trivial points to you but they are not to me.

The landlord has not produced details of his calculation and it will need to be changed anyway because at least part of his claim is incorrect. The claim is difficult to understand after all this time.

Comment

What the lease allows with regard to interest for late payment could potentially be a minimum that is claimed if you lose a court case.
                The freeholder could potentially ask for interest to be added at the court rate if they win the case (currently 8% above base rate, I believe). With interest rates still low they stand more chance of being awarded interest if they stick to requesting the amount detailed in the lease though.

The statement of rights for administration charges would have to have been included if a service charge demand that requested payment of interest had been sent out, it does not have to have been sent if the interest has not actually been demanded but the freeholder intends to ask the court to award this.

I agree with AndrewDod regarding merging of threads.
                If you have similar related queries it is probably best to include them in a single thread (one of these that has already been started).

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Once again, I apologise if I ought to have included different subjects in one single thread,

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Restitution for overpaid service charges
                    by Lorimer
                    I have just had a First Tier Tribunal hearing for a service charge challenge spanning the years 2014-2016. The FTT confirmed what I suspected - that I had overpaid 10K of service charges and that although the FTT is not in a position to order repayment to me, I might consider making a county court claim...
                    18-04-2019, 09:01 AM
                  • Reply to Restitution for overpaid service charges
                    by CANADA576
                    Hi Lorimer,would love to know the outcome as I have a very similar problem with a persistent leak plus wrongly apportioned and exaggerate Buildings Insurance premiums from a landlord that owns 8 properties in a row, including mine.
                    09-12-2019, 10:08 AM
                  • Reply to Council or housing association as freeholder
                    by propertyboy
                    Will I have the same statutory right to extend after 2 years like another leaseholder regardless of the fact that the freeholder is the council?

Does it matter if you are a non-resident landlord? Can you extend your lease after 2 years if you are based overseas?...
                    08-12-2019, 17:49 PM
                  • Council or housing association as freeholder
                    by propertyboy
                    Hi all,

I do not have any appetite to buy ex-local stock and look to buy period property in London.

This is personal preference (lots of ex local supply and prefer victorian stock in a period property with 2-3 flats in the block).

Recently I have been looking at...
                    24-11-2019, 21:28 PM
                  • Reply to Correct Accounting report for an RMC
                    by Gordon999
                    The unspent service charge money including "reserve fund/sinking fund " belongs to the leaseholders. The RMC has to keep the service charge money in separate bank accounts called "client account" for which the bank will issue a letter to acknowledge the "client account"...
                    08-12-2019, 14:00 PM
                  • Correct Accounting report for an RMC
                    by Libra
                    I am wondering what is the correct accounting report for an RMC, that is owned by the leaseholders / freeholders and also owns the freehold.
                    Has the Tec/03/11 been superseded? Is the Financial reporting standard 102 section 1A appropriate?
                    Is it correct to report that the reserve fund...
                    07-12-2019, 16:49 PM
                    by Gordon999
                    The RMC has to file its own "RMC company accounts" to Companies House and if it has no ground rent income, it will be filing dormant accounts.

The RMC has responsibility under the lease to collect the service charge money from leaseholders and arrange maintenance of the building...
                    08-12-2019, 13:44 PM
                    by Libra
                    Thank you Leaseholder 64. I
                    07-12-2019, 20:05 PM
                  • Reporting the directors of a RMC to be unfit
                    by Libra
                    Hello...and thank you for listening
                    I am wondering if one could report the RMC directors to be unfit - several breaches of Companies Act - blackmailing / coercing the residents / misleading statements regarding the right to acquire the freehold - probably false accounting ( still investigating...
                    07-12-2019, 16:39 PM
                  • Reply to Reporting the directors of a RMC to be unfit
                    by Libra
                    Hello Leaseholder 64,
                    Thank your for your reply. I didn't think that they are the same issues ...that's why I started another post. I can now see how they can have a common point. To my mind, whether I can report the directors was different to what is the correct account report for a RMC. My apologies....
                    07-12-2019, 20:00 PM
                  Working...
                  X