Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vexacious claims against the management company

Hi,

I am a long leaseholder, and we have a difficult house on our estate. They're currently pursuing vexatious claims against our management company which the judge urged them to proceed with caution and to seek legal representation. This has resulted in the manco sending out correspondence from the legal company setting our their opinions of the case its to do with seeking to have the lease voided and ground rent refunded.

Anyway…. they have attempted and lost 2 times to sue the developer once to the legal representation and now are going after the MANCO. They are serial litigants and have threatened neighbours with legal action, their current bill is circa 12k. And we're looking to seek costs against them

We're looking into a Civil Restraining Order, but in the meantime I wondered if anyone knows if there is likely to be a clause in the lease referring to legal action against the management company or if this might be standard in long leases.

I have read through it but it is pretty complicated, I am thinking of writing a joint letter on behalf of enough of the houses to try and put an end to it.

People are entitled to sue. They are also entitled to vexatiously sue until a court declares it as such (or declares that they have no standing to sue the entity they are suing). Can't see how a letter from the houses will help.

If there is no substance at all, then there is no substance at all. What are they saying you did wrong?

Comment

If there is no merit to a case, it will be struck out and costs will be awarded against the leaseholder in favour of the manco.

It is far more likely that there is some valid argument and it would be in your best interests to get both sides to sit down, discuss their differences and try to reach some sort of compromise, which is acceptable to both of them. Alternative Dispute Resolution eg mediation is another alternative.

Comment

We sat down yesterday and tried to understand their case, but I don't think this couple have legal representation and wouldn't give us as residents any details of their case.

Essentially they're saying the MANCO couldn't give consent for alterations they're in breach of contract and therefore owed their ground rent payments. Because they emailed the MANCO and asked for permission for alterations and they said it isn't in their remit.

We think this may of started because of a simple mix up in terms of communication.

Comment

Disputes often start with a misunderstanding or lack of communication, you should try to avoid it escalating and the costs getting out of hand.

Try drawing a line in the sand, starting afresh and try to resolve your differences. Alternatively, perhaps you can jointly appoint a solicitor or a surveyor to make a decision which would be acceptable, It is rarely in the interests of the parties to enter into battles when a compromise could be reached.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Restitution for overpaid service charges
            by Lorimer
            I have just had a First Tier Tribunal hearing for a service charge challenge spanning the years 2014-2016. The FTT confirmed what I suspected - that I had overpaid 10K of service charges and that although the FTT is not in a position to order repayment to me, I might consider making a county court claim...
            18-04-2019, 09:01 AM
          • Reply to Restitution for overpaid service charges
            by CANADA576
            Hi Lorimer,would love to know the outcome as I have a very similar problem with a persistent leak plus wrongly apportioned and exaggerate Buildings Insurance premiums from a landlord that owns 8 properties in a row, including mine.
            09-12-2019, 10:08 AM
          • Reply to Council or housing association as freeholder
            by propertyboy
            Will I have the same statutory right to extend after 2 years like another leaseholder regardless of the fact that the freeholder is the council?

Does it matter if you are a non-resident landlord? Can you extend your lease after 2 years if you are based overseas?...
            08-12-2019, 17:49 PM
          • Council or housing association as freeholder
            by propertyboy
            Hi all,

I do not have any appetite to buy ex-local stock and look to buy period property in London.

This is personal preference (lots of ex local supply and prefer victorian stock in a period property with 2-3 flats in the block).

Recently I have been looking at...
            24-11-2019, 21:28 PM
          • Correct Accounting report for an RMC
            by Libra
            I am wondering what is the correct accounting report for an RMC, that is owned by the leaseholders / freeholders and also owns the freehold.
            Has the Tec/03/11 been superseded? Is the Financial reporting standard 102 section 1A appropriate?
            Is it correct to report that the reserve fund...
            07-12-2019, 16:49 PM
          • Reply to Correct Accounting report for an RMC
            by Gordon999
            The unspent service charge money including "reserve fund/sinking fund " belongs to the leaseholders. The RMC has to keep the service charge money in separate bank accounts called "client account" for which the bank will issue a letter to acknowledge the "client account"...
            08-12-2019, 14:00 PM
            by Gordon999
            The RMC has to file its own "RMC company accounts" to Companies House and if it has no ground rent income, it will be filing dormant accounts.

The RMC has responsibility under the lease to collect the service charge money from leaseholders and arrange maintenance of the building...
            08-12-2019, 13:44 PM
            by Libra
            Thank you Leaseholder 64. I
            07-12-2019, 20:05 PM
          • Reporting the directors of a RMC to be unfit
            by Libra
            Hello...and thank you for listening
            I am wondering if one could report the RMC directors to be unfit - several breaches of Companies Act - blackmailing / coercing the residents / misleading statements regarding the right to acquire the freehold - probably false accounting ( still investigating...
            07-12-2019, 16:39 PM
          • Reply to Reporting the directors of a RMC to be unfit
            by Libra
            Hello Leaseholder 64,
            Thank your for your reply. I didn't think that they are the same issues ...that's why I started another post. I can now see how they can have a common point. To my mind, whether I can report the directors was different to what is the correct account report for a RMC. My apologies....
            07-12-2019, 20:00 PM
          Working...
          X