Adding the garden to a lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding the garden to a lease

I am currently the sole freeholder of a Victorian conversion comprising two units. I am also the leaseholder for the ground floor flat. The ground floor flat has access to the garden. The upper flat has no access and doesn't have a share of freehold. I would like to put the garden onto the lease of the ground floor flat to make it easier to sell in the future. Would this be straightforward and is there anything that might stop me doing this or that I need to consider?

Only issue I can see is if you have a mortgage on the flat , then you will need consent to vary your lease. As long as the garden isn't demised to upstairs you can do what you like. IMHO.

Comment

What would concern me here is why it wasn't in the original demise.

What do you man by "has access"?

Comment

It's a garden flat so has a side return and a kitchen which opens onto the garden. When we bought the flat we bought both the lease and the freehold but the garden is only on the freehold. We've always thought it was peculiar that it wasn't on the ground floor lease. Is this something that I could do by just contacting the land registry or would I have to go through a solicitor?

Comment

You need to look at both leases. It might be that the upper floor flat has certain rights to use the garden.

You shouldn't really be using it with a leaseholder hat unless your lease gives you rights.

Comment

As above -- do you mean that the upstairs flat can't easily get to the garden. Or do you mean that it says specifically in the lease that they are not allowed to access the garden or use it. That is going to lead to a fundamentally different potential outcome for you. You can't "do what you like". It depends on the lease(s).

Comment

If upstairs have no rights then it's your property to do what you like with but you will need a solicitor to amend lease and probably get a new plan agreed. It's hard work getting Land Registry to accept changes without a licensed Solicitor but shouldn't be expensive, I can recommend one if you pm me.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Bullying from a joint freeholder
                by Stew
                That seems like a great idea letting out a spare room. Make sure its someone who would not feel intimidated. Also agree with Xmas cards every bit helps. Also tell all contractors not to engage with them at all and ignore them....
                26-11-2021, 15:05 PM
              • Bullying from a joint freeholder
                by goodgirlLondon
                Hey, I would really like some advice about this as I am a female who lives alone and I am getting worried. The couple who I share the freehold with (just 2 flats in the house), dont get along and we have had problems agreeing over maintenance. I avoid them as much as possible but a neighbour told me...
                23-11-2021, 17:13 PM
                by goodgirlLondon
                Hey, I have thought about renting but I love my flat and had expensive new kitchen put in. Not sure I would be happy if tenants damaged. Also, I think that my mortgage restricts letting out my flat. I love the area and was happy until the couple took over the joint freehold. I might get a tenant to...
                26-11-2021, 10:31 AM
              • Reply to Service charge arrears
                by lampshade
                Yes of course I do not need to know any details other than the current situation. So I will ask and see if I get a reply....
                26-11-2021, 10:02 AM
              • Service charge arrears
                by lampshade
                If I asked the managing agents for a situation report regarding overall arrears of service charge, are they duty bound to let me know. not by flat,of course, but as a % of total invoiced, with info regarding length of arrears?
                26-11-2021, 07:54 AM
                by eagle2
                There is no reason why you cannot request and no reason why the managing agent cannot supply general information regarding the level of service charge arrears. It would only become an issue if any personal information was supplied or could be identified,
                26-11-2021, 09:24 AM
                by lampshade
                OK....no i am not one of those........ but seems odd then that the managing agent was very quick to tell all leaseholders in writing that a certain % of leaseholders had paid in advance of a large section 20, by way of coercion to those who had not paid.
                26-11-2021, 08:39 AM
                by Section20z
                Only if you're the freeholder or employer (RMC etc), not if you are just a flat owner...
                26-11-2021, 08:10 AM
                by Stew
                Have you thought about renting the place and just giving the old neighbour an email address for communication with an auto response saying I only pick up email from this account once a month. Not ideal but another option.
                25-11-2021, 22:45 PM
              • Reply to Access to my garden for upstairs neighbour's loft conversion
                by sampsam
                Neelix cheers for that. My ground floor flat doesn't 'border' with any of the areas that the top floor flat will be developing (the roof and outside terrace). Do i still need party wall?
                25-11-2021, 22:37 PM
              Working...
              X