Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MA started Section 20 Major Works proceedings AFTER RTM application

Hi all

We applied for RTM in Dec 2017, and then again in June 2018. About a week after our second application, our MA triggered a section 20 major works notification and employed the services of a surveyor to produce a spec. We objected to this and said that it wasn't appropriate to trigger major works with RTM in progress. They effectively said that until RTM was complete, they still managed the building and would do what they had to. This was in 2018.

Now it's 2019 we have our RTM, but I've received a £400 balancing charge for the year 2018. The additional costs appear to be for the surveyor which we told them not to employ.

Is it worth me applying to FTT for a determination as to whether or not this is payable? I don't dispute that the surveying work was done, I dispute that it was either necessary or appropriate.

Can you not simply ignore the demand? I assume that the freeholder and its agent no longer has access to the service charge funds. It is unlikely that the freeholder will use its own monies to pursue the debt. If it does pursue the claim, the burden of proof would be on the freeholder. If you apply to the FTT, the burden of proof is on you.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
      Can you not simply ignore the demand? I assume that the freeholder and its agent no longer has access to the service charge funds. It is unlikely that the freeholder will use its own monies to pursue the debt. If it does pursue the claim, the burden of proof would be on the freeholder. If you apply to the FTT, the burden of proof is on you.
      Quite possible. I'm not quite trying to get out of paying - if this is a reasonable request for payment then I'll most likely pay it - I just want to see if this is a fair request, doesn't feel like it to me but I may be biased

Comment

Considering your history with the freeholder, I would have thought that you had paid enough already.

It probably depends on how urgent the works were, could they have been delayed reasonably? Were the costs incurred before or after you objected? If that is your only objection to the costs, it is probably not worth starting an application to the FTT, you would have the costs and your time to consider. You should consider whether or not the freeholder would take legal action against you, it would not be worth his while either, especially if he does not have access to the service charge funds to finance the costs.

Your options seem to be - pay the bill, challenge it via the FTT, wait for the freeholder to take action, or make an offer of settlement (50%?)

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
          Considering your history with the freeholder, I would have thought that you had paid enough already.

It probably depends on how urgent the works were, could they have been delayed reasonably? Were the costs incurred before or after you objected? If that is your only objection to the costs, it is probably not worth starting an application to the FTT, you would have the costs and your time to consider. You should consider whether or not the freeholder would take legal action against you, it would not be worth his while either, especially if he does not have access to the service charge funds to finance the costs.

Your options seem to be - pay the bill, challenge it via the FTT, wait for the freeholder to take action, or make an offer of settlement (50%?)
          Ha well I agree with you personally but I also believe in fair play - it's one of my greatest weaknesses. The major works never actually got done - we got our RTM before they began - so this is just literally the surveyor costs involved in drawing up the spec which never got delivered.

Comment

It is a pity that your freeholder and agent doesn't also believe in fair play.

If you can use the spec then it may be worth offering to pay for it on condition that you receive it, If you have not received the benefit of a service then you can argue that there is nothing to pay.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Leaseholder not paid s.20 charges
              by leaseholder64
              As I understand it, you can start with the small claims court without FTT clearance. However, their rules say that, if the defence is based on unreasonableness, or non payability, of the charges, the court should redirect to the FTT for a decision, and only proceed if the FTT validates the claim....
              26-02-2020, 10:21 AM
            • Leaseholder not paid s.20 charges
              by Emilycarter
              Hi, I am a co-freeholder and one of the Leaseholders
              has not paid their charges for two sets of s.20 works. There is no dispute, managing agent has simply not received replies to emails and letters. We suspect the service charge recently issued will also remain unpaid.

Reading some...
              25-02-2020, 14:10 PM
            • Reply to RTM Service Charge Certificate
              by leaseholder64
              I think one of the problems with accountants is that their role of protecting the investors and customers has been replaced by one of finding ways to legally avoid providing any information to them. That may match the wants of many for profit businesses, but absolute openness should be the aim of RTMs....
              26-02-2020, 10:15 AM
            • RTM Service Charge Certificate
              by chris1544
              Hello,

I live in a block of two flats. We have an RTM company in place, self managing the building. Both leaseholders are directors of the RTM company. We are approaching the close of our service charge year and the lease requires that the service charge accounts be certified. Specifically...
              08-02-2020, 14:59 PM
            • Reply to Variation of lease
              by scampicat
              Thank you all for for your very helpful and informative advice. My husband and I will mull through the options later today....
              26-02-2020, 10:12 AM
            • Variation of lease
              by scampicat
              I own a flat with a lease of 125 years starting from 2012. The ground rent is at present £150 pa, but increases as follows every ten years: £225... .£337.50.... 506.25.... 759.38.... 1139.06.... 1708.59.... 2562.89 ....3844.34. There are no more increases after eighty years. I am considering a variation...
              25-02-2020, 08:57 AM
            • Reply to RTM Service Charge Certificate
              by chris1544
              Brilliant advice, thank you both, I really appreciate it. Yes to answer your question MrSoffit we are both actively involved in running the property and make decisions jointly. In fact, the service charge account is set up so that bank transfers can only be made if we both authorise them.
              26-02-2020, 09:37 AM
            • Reply to Leaseholder not paid s.20 charges
              by Emilycarter
              Thank you all once again. The s.20's were served correctly, other Leaseholders have paid and works completed. I do hope that Jericho's view is correct. They have not disputed or commented on the s.20 at all (as far as the Managing Agent tells us). If the recent service charge also remains unpaid...
              26-02-2020, 08:27 AM
            • Letting lease expire on share of freehold property
              by michelle230
              Apologies if silly question - I`m sure there is a very simple answer...

I`m curious as to what would happen in the above scenario where a person had a share of freehold in a block but let their lease expire. Would the flat then revert in ownership to the other shareholders, including the...
              25-02-2020, 19:00 PM
            • Reply to Letting lease expire on share of freehold property
              by leaseholder64
              That depends on the company articles or on the trust deed, if tenants on common.

You might continue to own the share of the freehold, even though you had no leasehold interest in the flat, and couldn't legally, have possession of it.

My articles say that membership of the company...
              25-02-2020, 23:54 PM
            Working...
            X