Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MA started Section 20 Major Works proceedings AFTER RTM application

Hi all

We applied for RTM in Dec 2017, and then again in June 2018. About a week after our second application, our MA triggered a section 20 major works notification and employed the services of a surveyor to produce a spec. We objected to this and said that it wasn't appropriate to trigger major works with RTM in progress. They effectively said that until RTM was complete, they still managed the building and would do what they had to. This was in 2018.

Now it's 2019 we have our RTM, but I've received a £400 balancing charge for the year 2018. The additional costs appear to be for the surveyor which we told them not to employ.

Is it worth me applying to FTT for a determination as to whether or not this is payable? I don't dispute that the surveying work was done, I dispute that it was either necessary or appropriate.

Can you not simply ignore the demand? I assume that the freeholder and its agent no longer has access to the service charge funds. It is unlikely that the freeholder will use its own monies to pursue the debt. If it does pursue the claim, the burden of proof would be on the freeholder. If you apply to the FTT, the burden of proof is on you.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
      Can you not simply ignore the demand? I assume that the freeholder and its agent no longer has access to the service charge funds. It is unlikely that the freeholder will use its own monies to pursue the debt. If it does pursue the claim, the burden of proof would be on the freeholder. If you apply to the FTT, the burden of proof is on you.
      Quite possible. I'm not quite trying to get out of paying - if this is a reasonable request for payment then I'll most likely pay it - I just want to see if this is a fair request, doesn't feel like it to me but I may be biased

Comment

Considering your history with the freeholder, I would have thought that you had paid enough already.

It probably depends on how urgent the works were, could they have been delayed reasonably? Were the costs incurred before or after you objected? If that is your only objection to the costs, it is probably not worth starting an application to the FTT, you would have the costs and your time to consider. You should consider whether or not the freeholder would take legal action against you, it would not be worth his while either, especially if he does not have access to the service charge funds to finance the costs.

Your options seem to be - pay the bill, challenge it via the FTT, wait for the freeholder to take action, or make an offer of settlement (50%?)

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post
          Considering your history with the freeholder, I would have thought that you had paid enough already.

It probably depends on how urgent the works were, could they have been delayed reasonably? Were the costs incurred before or after you objected? If that is your only objection to the costs, it is probably not worth starting an application to the FTT, you would have the costs and your time to consider. You should consider whether or not the freeholder would take legal action against you, it would not be worth his while either, especially if he does not have access to the service charge funds to finance the costs.

Your options seem to be - pay the bill, challenge it via the FTT, wait for the freeholder to take action, or make an offer of settlement (50%?)
          Ha well I agree with you personally but I also believe in fair play - it's one of my greatest weaknesses. The major works never actually got done - we got our RTM before they began - so this is just literally the surveyor costs involved in drawing up the spec which never got delivered.

Comment

It is a pity that your freeholder and agent doesn't also believe in fair play.

If you can use the spec then it may be worth offering to pay for it on condition that you receive it, If you have not received the benefit of a service then you can argue that there is nothing to pay.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Request to appeal an FTT decision
              vmart
              Hello there

I hope someone can help with answers to the following questions:

1) Where one has legal grounds to appeal an FTT decision, is there a specific form or do you just write to the court providing grounds and requesting leave to appeal within the time limit?
              2)...
              22-09-2019, 13:40 PM
            • Reply to Request to appeal an FTT decision
              eagle2
              Clerical errors can be corrected by the FTT, so it is worth reading carefully the decision and checking that the figures have been adjusted correctly. Sometimes it will fail to amend a figure or calculate the adjustment incorrectly. In these cases, a simple request to the Tribunal will result in an...
              22-09-2019, 21:04 PM
              vmart
              Dear all

Thank you....
              22-09-2019, 17:37 PM
              Macromia
              The article in the link below describes how you can appeal FTT decisions, including a link to a form that can be used.
              http://www.flat-living.co.uk/advice/...-an-ftt-appeal

'Senior Member' on forums like this (or similar 'titles') are usually based on nothing more than...
              22-09-2019, 16:18 PM
            • Property Management bully behaviour
              boboligogo
              Hi everyone,

I would highly appreciate any contribution to this post.

I'll get straight to the point: I am a leaseholder in a block of 8 flats in Leeds. One of the flats belongs to the Freehold owner (Landlord). Ever since I purchased this property we were dealing with a rather...
              18-09-2019, 18:37 PM
            • Reply to Property Management bully behaviour
              eagle2
              Whatever the merits of the case, the MA could be much more helpful to the leaseholder, who is quite right, if the charge is not permitted in the lease, there is no obligation to pay it. So it would be in the MA's interests to simply refer to the clause which it is relying upon. A leaseholder has the...
              22-09-2019, 16:14 PM
              eagle2
              You need permission from the FTT in order to appeal against a decision and you should contact the FTT stating your grounds for appeal. The FTT will then either consent to or deny the appeal. There would be a fee payable to the Upper Tribunal, details of which would be sent to you if the appeal is allowed....
              22-09-2019, 16:03 PM
            • Reply to Property Management bully behaviour
              vmart
              Hello

The salient points have been highlighted by others above. I would suggest your next step is to follow Scott22's advice and contact LEASE for free advice providing them with a copy of your lease.

It is highly likely the Managing Agent (MA) is within their rights to charge...
              22-09-2019, 14:01 PM
            • Shared outside tap
              Baradavies
              I live in a first floor flat, with a strip of garden at the rear. There is currently an outside tap on the side of the house which is only accessible by one ground floor flat.
              I want to install an outside tap on the "communal" side of the house, so that we five flats who don't have direct...
              21-09-2019, 09:45 AM
            • Reply to Shared outside tap
              eagle2
              I recommend that you try to agree a private arrangement with the leaseholder of the ground floor flat. That is much simpler and cost effective than trying to arrange a separate supply....
              22-09-2019, 06:34 AM
            Working...
            X