does solicitor no longer work for you after completion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does solicitor no longer work for you after completion?

Hello guys

After asking a question today to my solicitor, I received this response below

Our instructions are now concluded in respect of the conveyancing and there is no further correspondence for us to forward to you apart from the completed HMLR registration which will be forwarded to you once received. Any further work is now outside of a normal conveyancing transaction and will incur a fee.

This makes me question, how long after exchange/completion does solicitor no longer work for you? I guess they are still technically working for me until the completed HMLR registration? What's your experience?

They are acting somewhat prematurely by saying that they have completed acting according to your existing instructions, subject to the HMLR registration, You can raise comments about the existing instructions but anything not strictly covered by those instructions would require fresh instructions and you would be required to pay additional fees.

Comment

Yes, I was wondering too so I did inquiry this with them...I'm curious what their response will be. Will let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by TruthLedger View Post

Yes, I was wondering too so I did inquiry this with them...I'm curious what their response will be. Will let you know.
        But expect a bill for their reply.

Any further work is now outside of a normal conveyancing transaction and will incur a fee.

Comment

The wording does not look likely to have been put together by a marketing department. The time to tell someone a further fee will be incurred is when it is likely to be incurred.

I do not know what current practice is, but I think that on the whole most solicitors used to provide some degree of after-sales service if the client has a query. Apart from anything else it is good marketing. There is a balance to be struck between the client who thinks he can keep on getting free advice and the solicitor who wants to charge just for getting the file out and checking something.

You have of course paid the solicitor to secure a good and marketable title. If it turns out there is a problem he ought to have spotted he should not charge for putting it right.

Comment

Lawcruncher,

Thanks. You mention "a good and marketable title" and now got me thinking. Does that mean solicitors can secure a bad title deed?What could they do wrong with securing a title deed? EDIT: I started a new topic "securing a good and marketable title deed"

Comment

I suspect that this is connected with your comments on one of your other threads regarding the service charge deficit.

Your solicitor appears to be saying that he has collected the service charge deficit from the vendor on this occasion but if the freeholder raises any further charges which you want the solicitor to collect from the vendor, the solicitor reserves the right to charge you additional fees.

The solicitor seems to be overlooking that he should have made the proper enquiries as to which charges had not been made but which were the vendor's responsibility for paying at the time of the sale.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Appointing a manager - Manager Recommendations Sought
                by Stan_18
                Hi all, any help appreciated.

I am considering applying to the FTT to have a manger appointed due to ongoing failure of my freeholder to uphold covenants of the lease (currently the gutters are blocked and causing damage to my property, no reply from freeholder).

Context...
                15-12-2019, 21:43 PM
              • Reply to Appointing a manager - Manager Recommendations Sought
                by Gordon999
                Consult a local letting agent in your town to find a local person to manage your little block. Or do it yourself .

If the problem is a blocked gutter it must be the down pipe that need clearing ( window cleaner may be the person with a ladder ) or replace the plastic pipe.
                15-12-2019, 23:53 PM
              • 18-month rule and invalid demands
                by MartynSE5
                I would appreciate opinions on this situation, please:

- Demands for service charge and ground rent for 2018 were sent in December 2017
                - Delays in auditing accounts for 2018 caused the landlord's agent to send 20b notices in June 2019, predicting a £30k shortfall
                14-12-2019, 05:54 AM
              • Reply to 18-month rule and invalid demands
                by MartynSE5
                Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.
                15-12-2019, 18:06 PM
              • Problem with Service Charge Demands
                by bigalxyz
                Recently appointed director of RMC, self-managing for the first time. Having a problem recovering 2019H2 service charge (the 2019H2 demand was issued by the previous external property manager) from one leaseholder, who believes that the demand was not issued in accordance with the law but is refusing...
                14-12-2019, 14:13 PM
              • Reply to Problem with Service Charge Demands
                by bigalxyz
                Thank you.

Now...I've just discovered something which might muddy the waters. The guy who was previously:
                (a) director of the RMC
                (b) owner of the proprerty management company appointed by the RMC
                (c) the freeholder

...it would appear is not really...
                15-12-2019, 13:20 PM
                by leaseholder64
                The only part of L&T 87 referring to invoices is the section 47, already referenced above.

Can you confirm that you gave the full name and residential or registered office address of the landlord.

Although not L&T 87, did you give the registered office address, and...
                15-12-2019, 12:32 PM
                by bigalxyz
                I reissued the invoice yesterday - I included the freeholder's name and address, included the "summary of rights and obligations" documents, I sent everything by email but also printed out and posted, and I removed the ground rent part (ref: discussions about combined demands).

15-12-2019, 09:21 AM
              • Reply to 18-month rule and invalid demands
                by Macromia
                It is still not possible to answer your question - and it may not be possible to provide an answer until you have actually received a demand for the final sum.

It sounds like your service charges are accounted for using calendar years, so the year in question runs from 1-Jan-2108 to 31-Dec-2018...
                15-12-2019, 07:54 AM
              • Opinion on advice to landlord from its agent
                by MartynSE5
                I am one of four directors of a limited company that owns a building where the company has 67 long leases, and the company's affairs are managed by an agent.

Our agent asked for our approval to write an aggressive letter to our leaseholders, enforcing a particular covenant and threatening...
                14-12-2019, 20:18 PM
              Working...
              X