Secret commissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would class this as an improvement. Look at the repairing obligations in the lease. If it states ' in a state of good repair and maintenance ' but does not mention condition then I believe highly unlikely that Freeholder would have to pay for tanking.
    I have done some research on this and a general view seems to be it can make condensation damp worse. Where can it escape ?
    The water in the wall is likely to go elsewhere.
    The Freeholder will be responsible for ensuring the tanking is kept in good repair.
    Any brief details on the damp could be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by scot22 View Post
      Any brief details on the damp could be helpful.
      These are in the OPs many previous threads.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
        See OP's previous threads.

It would be an improvement unless it was the only practical way of repairing original, previously effective, damp proofing that had become defective.
        Thanks for your input...this may be the only practical way to go..however the damp is affecting the building foundations so I am not sure the freeholder is repairing and maintaining the building and protecting everyone's asset if they dont do anything to try to mitigate the issues.

Comment

I agree with #2. Had forgotten about previous threads. The situation is more complicated and like many legal issues not clear cut.

Comment

Jackson v J H Watson 2008

Held. If the state of the premises was no worse than at the commencement of the lease there was no want of repair.

Comment

Jackson v J H Watson 2008

Held. If the state of the premises was no worse than at the commencement of the lease there was no want of repair.
              Thanks for sharing that Scot..its an interesting angle ...my damp issues trundles on....

it would appear that in another court case that unless the lease covenants state what needs to be repaired and maintained ie structural foundations and damp then some work could be seen as improvements and some judge said that the freeholder can not expect to be given back an improvement to the property so if damp proofing is not in the lease it may well be classed as an improvement however I am not convinced about that as damp effects the property foundations of the building.

Comment

I'm afraid it is your responsibility to check the details of the lease in detail. The conveyancer might be expected to deal with off legal terms but not to survey the building.

You probably need one thread for all this stuff, not many

Comment

I agree with you. It is at least arguable that this must be done to safeguard the structure of the building. The foundations are of prime importance and must be protected.

Comment

I agree with you. It is at least arguable that this must be done to safeguard the structure of the building. The foundations are of prime importance and must be protected.
                    Agree with you Scott

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
                      I'm afraid it is your responsibility to check the details of the lease in detail. The conveyancer might be expected to deal with off legal terms but not to survey the building.

You probably need one thread for all this stuff, not many
                      I am confused..the conveyancer created and wrote the new lease, to do this they would need to understand what they are doing..so putting an item in which is an improvement should not be in there...that says to me they did not check properly. We rely on these professionals not the other way around.

Comment

What was declared on the TA6 and property sellers questionairre ?

Comment

Originally posted by alice123 View Post
                          What was declared on the TA6 and property sellers questionairre ?
                          Is TA6 the property questions? He put "property comes with DPC warranty" will check on TA6 if its not the property enquiries form.

Comment

Did you have a survey done?

Comment

Are you trying to pick holes to get your fees reduced? Frankly if my listed building needed a DPC, I would not bother asking the jobsworths for permission either.

Comment

How are we supposed to know it is a newly written lease by the conveyancer?? Maybe that is because you are sending one liners in multiple threads no one can be bothered to locate.

An obligation to maintain something that is not there would seem to be a clause with no effect. Boilerplate contracts often have clauses that cover things that might not apply to the circumstances. "Repair and maintain" does not mean you have to improve anything.

Why would you sign a contract you did not read and then object later?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Service Charge Percentage Wrong
                                  by gidoc
                                  Dear all,
                                  I hope this forum can guide me to the next step. I have a leasehold apartment, which I purchased in July 2007. I have never been able to go through the whole lease esp the page no1, which clearly defines the service charges as 1%. I am however been charged 2%( extra 1% for communal areas,...
                                  17-11-2019, 21:47 PM
                                • Reply to Service Charge Percentage Wrong
                                  by leaseholder64
                                  I've re-read the lease extract, and it still seems to me that most of the items under block costs relate to internal common area items.

What I suspect has happened is that 4 of the leases have different wordings, that fail to cover those items, and those don't get the internal items list,...
                                  20-11-2019, 00:42 AM
                                  by leaseholder64
                                  Looks like there are 101 properties on the estate, 96 of them contribute to your apartment charge and 92 to your internal charge.

What are the actual numbers in each category?

The actual percentages differ from the lease, but are more accurate for an equal split 101/96/92 ways....
                                  20-11-2019, 00:25 AM
                                  by gidoc
                                  Here is a breakdown of service charges:
                                  the internal area cost- is not being paid by equivalent apartments(very few)- which do not have internal areas.
                                  thanks...
                                  19-11-2019, 23:03 PM
                                • Reply to Service charge budget for 2020
                                  by leaseholder64
                                  Only if the lease requires that. There is no legal requirement to provide details of the budget, although it is best practice to do so.

The typical reason for seeing new types of charge is health and safety, e.g. emergency light testing.
                                  19-11-2019, 21:52 PM
                                • Service charge budget for 2020
                                  by stum
                                  Hi
                                  I have received a budget for the servcie charges for 2020. This is sent as a budget proposal, but at same time suggests that charges will start in January 2020, making it not a proposal but a matter of fact, as far as the service agent is concerned.
                                  I am querying one of the proposed...
                                  19-11-2019, 20:53 PM
                                  by gidoc
                                  Landlord is a Private holding company ( commercial )
                                  I have set up a telephone adv from The Leasehold Advisory Service

FTT and tribunal should be next step

and then small claims court for debt recovery if all goes ok

hope I got that in the right order....
                                  19-11-2019, 21:34 PM
                                • Reply to RMC - Dormant Status with HMRC - Banking
                                  by bigalxyz
                                  Thank you.

1. When you say “separate from personal expenses” - I don’t understand. Which expenses are you referring to?

2. Ok (I think)

3. I have a debit card for the RMC’s normal business account, but not for the “bolt on” client account. I wasn’t...
                                  19-11-2019, 18:54 PM
                                • RMC - Dormant Status with HMRC - Banking
                                  by bigalxyz
                                  I'm one of the directors of an RMC looking after a leasehold building (having recently taken over from an external property manager).

The company is dormant at HMRC. It has a business account, unused. All of our funds (service charge monies) are in a separate client account.

19-11-2019, 14:44 PM
                                • Reply to RMC - Dormant Status with HMRC - Banking
                                  by Gordon999
                                  1. The unspent money , raised from the annual service charge,belongs to the leaseholders and the money should be held in a separate bank account , separate from personal expenses. So the RMC's bank account can be called a "client account No 1 " or " 27 Garden Road Service charge...
                                  19-11-2019, 18:30 PM
                                Working...
                                X