Secret commissions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would class this as an improvement. Look at the repairing obligations in the lease. If it states ' in a state of good repair and maintenance ' but does not mention condition then I believe highly unlikely that Freeholder would have to pay for tanking.
    I have done some research on this and a general view seems to be it can make condensation damp worse. Where can it escape ?
    The water in the wall is likely to go elsewhere.
    The Freeholder will be responsible for ensuring the tanking is kept in good repair.
    Any brief details on the damp could be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by scot22 View Post
      Any brief details on the damp could be helpful.
      These are in the OPs many previous threads.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
        See OP's previous threads.

It would be an improvement unless it was the only practical way of repairing original, previously effective, damp proofing that had become defective.
        Thanks for your input...this may be the only practical way to go..however the damp is affecting the building foundations so I am not sure the freeholder is repairing and maintaining the building and protecting everyone's asset if they dont do anything to try to mitigate the issues.

Comment

I agree with #2. Had forgotten about previous threads. The situation is more complicated and like many legal issues not clear cut.

Comment

Jackson v J H Watson 2008

Held. If the state of the premises was no worse than at the commencement of the lease there was no want of repair.

Comment

Jackson v J H Watson 2008

Held. If the state of the premises was no worse than at the commencement of the lease there was no want of repair.
              Thanks for sharing that Scot..its an interesting angle ...my damp issues trundles on....

it would appear that in another court case that unless the lease covenants state what needs to be repaired and maintained ie structural foundations and damp then some work could be seen as improvements and some judge said that the freeholder can not expect to be given back an improvement to the property so if damp proofing is not in the lease it may well be classed as an improvement however I am not convinced about that as damp effects the property foundations of the building.

Comment

I'm afraid it is your responsibility to check the details of the lease in detail. The conveyancer might be expected to deal with off legal terms but not to survey the building.

You probably need one thread for all this stuff, not many

Comment

I agree with you. It is at least arguable that this must be done to safeguard the structure of the building. The foundations are of prime importance and must be protected.

Comment

I agree with you. It is at least arguable that this must be done to safeguard the structure of the building. The foundations are of prime importance and must be protected.
                    Agree with you Scott

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
                      I'm afraid it is your responsibility to check the details of the lease in detail. The conveyancer might be expected to deal with off legal terms but not to survey the building.

You probably need one thread for all this stuff, not many
                      I am confused..the conveyancer created and wrote the new lease, to do this they would need to understand what they are doing..so putting an item in which is an improvement should not be in there...that says to me they did not check properly. We rely on these professionals not the other way around.

Comment

What was declared on the TA6 and property sellers questionairre ?

Comment

Originally posted by alice123 View Post
                          What was declared on the TA6 and property sellers questionairre ?
                          Is TA6 the property questions? He put "property comes with DPC warranty" will check on TA6 if its not the property enquiries form.

Comment

Did you have a survey done?

Comment

Are you trying to pick holes to get your fees reduced? Frankly if my listed building needed a DPC, I would not bother asking the jobsworths for permission either.

Comment

How are we supposed to know it is a newly written lease by the conveyancer?? Maybe that is because you are sending one liners in multiple threads no one can be bothered to locate.

An obligation to maintain something that is not there would seem to be a clause with no effect. Boilerplate contracts often have clauses that cover things that might not apply to the circumstances. "Repair and maintain" does not mean you have to improve anything.

Why would you sign a contract you did not read and then object later?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Doubling rent
                                  SandraHope
                                  My solicitor has strongly advised me against purchasing a flat as it has just come to light that the recently renewed lease has had its ground rent increased 100% and it is also on a doubling basis. My solicitor has advised us that mortgage companies are becoming more reluctant to offer mortgages on...
                                  16-10-2019, 19:31 PM
                                • Reply to Doubling rent
                                  michelle230
                                  Good to know if you have children/grandchildren, you'll be more than happy for them to purchase these traps. At least * someone * will be lucky enough to escape and pass on the burden....
                                  17-10-2019, 17:21 PM
                                • Reply to Doubling rent
                                  michelle230
                                  Gordon999 Spot on!...
                                  17-10-2019, 17:16 PM
                                • Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
                                  uoeno
                                  Hello. I am the owner of a residential apartment, which I use as my main residence, which is managed by a property management company, to whom I pay a monthly service fee, and a residents management company, of which the PMC is one of the directors. The freehold of the land is owned and managed by a...
                                  15-10-2019, 15:50 PM
                                • Reply to Visitor Parking Dispute and Unreasonable Behaviour
                                  Jon66
                                  Perhaps you would be better off finding a more suitable property as clearly this one is no longer suitable. By the sounds of it, all parties would see this as a good solution.

Just because your circumstances change, trying to bend the lease to suit this is probably not the best way of...
                                  17-10-2019, 15:40 PM
                                • Reply to Doubling rent
                                  Gordon999
                                  Many older properties were sold on 99 years lease term and small annual ground rent which doubled after every 33 years.

The problem with 99 years leasehold property , the mortgage lenders are reluctant to offer mortgage loan below 70 years terms . The cost to seek lease extension when...
                                  17-10-2019, 15:36 PM
                                • Reply to Doubling rent
                                  michelle230
                                  Untrue. Who said * all * rising ground rents are a problem. Onerous ground rent terms are. As lenders acknowledge. Hence them not lending. Hence sales falling through. Hence many trapped in unsaleable homes....
                                  17-10-2019, 15:21 PM
                                • Reply to Doubling rent
                                  sgclacy
                                  It was lender knee jerk reaction to the problems of 10 year doublers.

The lenders may themselves find that they could be "hoist with his own petard" if lessees abandon their properties for being un-mortageable...
                                  17-10-2019, 14:36 PM
                                • Reply to Doubling rent
                                  leaseholder64
                                  One problem with setting arbitrary hard limits is that you end up with something like the interesting number paradox, and any ground rent at all becomes unsafe!
                                  17-10-2019, 14:27 PM
                                • Reply to Doubling rent
                                  sgclacy
                                  Totally agree and the following article shows the problems those that talk hysterically about rising ground rents can cause

https://www.mortgagesolutions.co.uk/...rules-procter/

If a ground rent was say £1000...
                                  17-10-2019, 14:10 PM
                                Working...
                                X