Secret commissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

But that's what ground rents are for (in part) ...... If a lessee owned company decided not to collect ground rents, that would be their hard lines. In the case of RMC, there is an issue if the Freeholder is being passed ground rents -- but then the legislation relating to RMC is defective and ill considered -- and this is one of many reasons why. By the way there are a host of other company expenses which are not service charges nor covered by insurance (like if the Directors fail to file with Companies House and get fined. A conventional freeholder is not covered against his own follies and private expenditure and the same should apply here. What would you suggest should be the case if only 3 of 6 lessees were shareholders in the freehold Company -- that the non shareholders should cover company expenses.......
    I agree with much of what you said here.

Yes, hypothetically, the costs of running a leaseholder run management company should be covered by ground rents, or by passing a company resolution requiring shareholders to contribute to the all company costs (I would exclude fines due to directors failing to perform their duties properly from this, but would include insurance that covers directors for decisions that were made with the right intentions but ultimately turn out to be flawed - and yes, I realise that this is likely to also cover them for many less well intended decisions).

As you say yourself, the legislation covering RMC's (under some circumstances) is already not really fit for purpose, and if proposals to abolish ground rents, or fix them at low amounts, go ahead, leaseholder run management companies will need an alternative way to pay costs because otherwise no one will be willing to take on the role of director.
    I really don't see any reason at all why it wouldn't be fair to pass legislation allowing reasonable costs to be included as part of the service charges. Even non-shareholder/non-member leaseholders benefit from having their building managed, and if unreasonable company costs were put through the service charges, these can be challenged in the same way as other service charge costs.

Once again, I am aware that management company costs are usually not allowed for by the terms of most leases (except perhaps leases that included a management company when they were written), but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be considered reasonable these costs (which will usually be insignificant, especially when compared to the cost of 'professional' managing agents) to be recouped through the service charges.

I wonder how many of the people who refuse to pay a contribution to the costs of a management company, including D&O insurance, would be happy if no one was prepared to act as a director and consequently their building had no management at all?

In is possible for a course of action to be legally correct but, at the same time, to be the wrong course of action to take.

Comment

False statements directors chose not to declare business run at property/omitted facts when it suited them not performing duties and obligations hiding behind corporate veil, claim ignorance of facts, taking undue risks with the money of others has consequences- disqualification.

Comment

Originally posted by Stacker View Post
        False statements directors chose not to declare business run at property/omitted facts when it suited them not performing duties and obligations hiding behind corporate veil, claim ignorance of facts, taking undue risks with the money of others has consequences- disqualification.
        I agree - and if this is the problem, then your best course of action would be to get the directors replaced with new directors who will provide better performance.

However, if you expect people to take on full responsibility and potentially accept the financial costs involved with the running of the company as well as potentially leaving themselves open to being sued personally for any mistakes (paying for any insurance against this risk themselves), then don't expect many people who actually understand leasehold law to volunteer.

Comment

Macromia,

Macromania I am not sure if you are aware but I have mentioned it before, it is nigh on impossible to remove them...they know this and I have no intention of paying for and insuring a director and fellow shareholder for acting in their own interests and hoping the insurance will cover it meaning D&O insurance.. Also if there was a shareholder dispute which is brewing I am not again paying for their insurance should they lose the case! If they were half decent and any good they wouldn't need insurance.

Comment

D&O insurance doesn't cover negligence. It's, unfortunately, rapidly become a necessity of even directors who are well skilled. People who become RMC directors rarely have relevant experience.

Comment

What legal requirement is there to have insurance ?

Originally posted by Macromia View Post
              What must be provided is the insurance cover that meets all of the requirements given in the lease (and all legal requirements, with legal requirements taking precedence if they contradict the lease), no more, no less.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
                None, apart from the lease (contract).

Comment

Failure to make adequate provisions for insurance is one of the grounds for a forced change to the lease, so I would imagine people would act on the basis that any challenge based on a claim that the lease doens't provide for insurance would result in an application to change the lease with the consequent conveyancing costs on the leaseholders.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                    D&O insurance doesn't cover negligence. It's, unfortunately, rapidly become a necessity of even directors who are well skilled. People who become RMC directors rarely have relevant experience.
                    If they dont have the experience and are not prepared to attempt to or at least learn the basics then they must pay for the D&O insurance themselves, if it is not recoverable from the Lease or Articles then they cant charge this to the service charge account.

Comment

leaseholder64,

All leaseholders have to agree and need 75% agreement, no FTT will agree and impose a cost on a leaseholder which does not benefit ALL.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

None, apart from the lease (contract).
                        Thank you Andrew, yes its ALL about the Lease so if its not in the Lease you cant charge for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post

Legally building insurance is vital and nothing else unless your lease or the company articles state anything

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                            So could a director not informing the insurance company on two separate occasions the wrong information be considered negligence?

Comment

So not presenting the facts and misleading an insurance company is seen as FRAUD, invalidating the insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Stacker View Post

All leaseholders have to agree and need 75% agreement, no FTT will agree and impose a cost on a leaseholder which does not benefit ALL.
                                Not for a defective lease. A single party can get a lease changed if the FTT agrees that the lease doesn't make adequate provision for insurance. I was responding to the general point about legislation and insurance. D&O may well not be considered necessary for adequate insurance, but that is a different question.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Man Co adding Percentage to Major Works
                                  by Magnus
                                  The Management Company has issued a S20 with costs for the Major Works. However they have added 7.5% Management Fee.

The Lease states - Service Costs: the sums spent by the Management Company of and incidental to the observance and performance of the covenants on the part of the Management...
                                  21-11-2019, 08:04 AM
                                • Reply to Man Co adding Percentage to Major Works
                                  by leaseholder64
                                  The project management is more than a few phone calls. It should involve:

- writing a detailed specification;
                                  - reviewing the responses;
                                  - vetting contractors, for competence, safety and financial stability;
                                  - managing health and safety;
                                  - running the section 20...
                                  21-11-2019, 12:35 PM
                                  by leaseholder64
                                  Generally, if you have a management company separate from the freeholder, it is a not-for-profit, owned by the leaseholders. Such companies are normally set up to allow the freeholder to get the income and gains from their investment, without the messy, and risky business, of having to maintain and...
                                  21-11-2019, 12:11 PM
                                  by Magnus
                                  Definitely a Management Company.

Just with the "sums spent" seems to rule out a percentage base. No problem paying if they have made a few phone calls and met with Surveyors and Contractors. But 7.5% equals about 20k. And there is no way they have conducted 20ks worth of extra...
                                  21-11-2019, 11:18 AM
                                • Reply to Collective enfranchisement - additional cost of airspace lease
                                  by Lorimer
                                  Any idea where you saw this? I have been asking both valuers and solicitors this question and they have differing views - some of them say that the value of the ground rent reserved in the airspace lease WILL be factored into the premium that we pay for the freehold - others saying that it is only if...
                                  21-11-2019, 11:13 AM
                                • Collective enfranchisement - additional cost of airspace lease
                                  by Lorimer
                                  Wondering if anyone can advise on whether and how much a 999 year lease of airspace with a ground rent of £1,500 per annum, rising by £100.00 per annum every 15 years will impact on the premium we are likely to pay to buy the freehold of our building?

The background:
                                  We have been...
                                  16-11-2019, 07:49 AM
                                • Info Licence to assign
                                  by sfriziona
                                  Hi,

I am selling my flat in London , we are looking to exchange by the end of the week but the buyer solicitor asked for a Licence to assign the lease.
                                  The freeholder doesn't have a solicitor and he asked me to produce one for his review and he will sign it, but I cannot find any...
                                  20-11-2019, 06:47 AM
                                • Reply to Info Licence to assign
                                  by Lawcruncher
                                  I have read the lease and there is no requirement to obtain the landlord's consent - except during the last seven years of the term which have not yet arrived.
                                  21-11-2019, 10:58 AM
                                • Is management company Responsible for window repair?
                                  by Tugbeer
                                  I own a flat where damaged rendering has resulted in serious rot to a window and sill. This is something that must have been deteriorating over many years but I first became aware when i opened the window and the bottom part of the frame came away in my hand. As a temporary measure I've fixed it down...
                                  21-11-2019, 09:44 AM
                                • Reply to Is management company Responsible for window repair?
                                  by leaseholder64
                                  Another thing to consider, is that you can probably only be compensated for the loss in value, and frames that are still wood, where there is no planning restriction, probably have little or no remaining value
                                  21-11-2019, 10:38 AM
                                Working...
                                X