Lord Best report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post

Eagle 2. Nothing wrong discussing LKP in this forum and discussing is NOT advertising . . LKP are not a trading company and does not breach the forum rules.

You said in post #40 :

This was a statement made in the Commons in 1992

“the rapacious … landlords have every reason to be apprehensive. Many hon. Members have had experience of such landlords, but their racket has been rumbled and their game is up.”

LKP has been putting the "1992 statement " into action in 2019 by exposing the abuse under the leasehold property system and campaigning at MP level for changes to UK laws for Leasehold to be replaced by Commonhold.

Sorry but I disagree, the constant reference to one organisation is a form of advertising, there are other organisations which represent leaseholders and there should be a reasonable balance on this forum. My comments have been directed at one contributor who has admitted to making an incorrect statement twice, Some of the outrageous statements needed to be corrected. There is absolutely nothing wrong in raising old issues again, it just needs to be put into perspective. It is far too early to start celebrating yet, the tone of the Chair of the Select Committee should be considered carefully. I shall be one of the first to celebrate if and when real changes are made for the benefit of leaseholders but lets not get carried away at this stage,

Comment

1992 was a bad year for UK Government because currency speculators forced the GBP out of the ERM ( exchange rate mechanism ) linking £ to DM at 2.8 )

1993 Major Change : Strictly speaking, there is no such thing as a lease extension. The Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993 gives lessees the right to surrender the existing lease and acquire a new lease on their property.

The new lease will be on the same terms as the existing lease except for the following:-
      • The ‘new’ lease will be at a ‘peppercorn’ ground rent (effectively no ground rent)
      • The new lease will be for a term expiring 90 years after the end date of the existing lease.

This means that if the lessee is paying £100 a year ground rent at the moment they will no longer have to pay this. If the existing lease were to have an unexpired term of 75 years the new lease would be for a term of 75 + 90 years (i.e. 165 years).

2002 Major Change : Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002 :

2019 Major Change : Ending sale of houses under leasehold title.
      The point is that the Government has been aware of the need for leasehold reform for a long time and it has been slow and reluctant to act. Leaseholders were optimistic in 1992 that the overcharging would be stopped but instead the discussions highlighted the issues and attracted more unscrupulous people into the sector. The position is worse now than it was then. I welcome the current debates, lets just wait and see what comes of them. Already we are seeing signs that the proposals are being diluted.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle2 View Post

Sorry but I disagree, the constant reference to one organisation is a form of advertising, there are other organisations which represent leaseholders and there should be a reasonable balance on this forum. My comments have been directed at one contributor who has admitted to making an incorrect statement twice, Some of the outrageous statements needed to be corrected. There is absolutely nothing wrong in raising old issues again, it just needs to be put into perspective. It is far too early to start celebrating yet, the tone of the Chair of the Select Committee should be considered carefully. I shall be one of the first to celebrate if and when real changes are made for the benefit of leaseholders but lets not get carried away at this stage,
        Only "constant referencing" has been done by youself.
        By the way The Organisation that Shall Not Be Named" is not a business so why are you bringing up advertising??
        The Organisation that Shall Not Be Named" voluntarily give hours if their time free to support distressed leaseholders.
        As previously suggested - perhaps do some research before commenting.

Comment

There are several organisations which have highlighted the need for leasehold reform, including newspapers, magazines, television and radio and it is entirely wrong to single out or credit any one of them. The problem is not new, it existed long before some other organisations were formed.

Comment

There are several organisations which have highlighted the need for leasehold reform, including newspapers, magazines, television and radio and it is entirely wrong to single out or credit any one of them. The problem is not new, it existed long before some other organisations were formed.
            Ok Eagle ok. Let's draw a line under this. I've got lots of things to do between now and death.
            Truce.

Comment

Originally posted by Leaseholdscandal View Post

Could you please expand more about LKP. Leasehold Knowledge Partnership have been instrumental in the leasehold reform work.
              I can tell you, that, without LKP and National leasehold Campaign for that matter, leaseholders would be nowhere further forward in their fight to get justice and proper humane treatment from their landlords! From my personal experience of the help they have given me, and I stress, GIVEN, for no fee, They have been amazing pool of knowledge and support. I got none of this when I contacted the Government run LEASE, not only no good advice, but BAD 'advice' that if I had taken would have been a disaster for my family. ( I gave my evidence of this to the select committee), who were not impressed by LEASE's performance! So, give me NLC and LKP any day!

Comment

BUT, these other organisations have been stimulated by NLC and LKP's work and constant badgering at Government to do something about the leasehold tenure. Do not forget just how long LKP have been at it! and I say again, they are a charity!! come on Eagle you can not dispute that fact!

Comment

Originally posted by michelle230 View Post

Ok Eagle ok. Let's draw a line under this. I've got lots of things to do between now and death.
                  Truce.
                  DCAAA I would ask you respect the above post and move on.

As somebody who has had to invest over 4 years in various issues, all arising from actions by our previous managing agent I can state I have received valid advice from LEASE and also on numerous occasions much appreciated advice from eagle2.

I have also in the past had contact with LKP and am supportive of the issues that they continue to bring to the attention of the government and those in support of them.

There can be no definitive answer to all leasehold issues and I believe my issues arise through the non regulation of managing agents and a bias from an invested organisations, be that RICS or the now defunct Ombudsman Services Property. These organisations receive money from the agents for their membership and consequently find it very difficult to regulate them either due to threats to leave or to take legal action against them.

You need only to google ARMA and their decision to become a secondary regulator.

So in conclusion different leaseholders, with different issues will receive valued advice from various outlets.

In support of LEASE who have helped me in the past they are now offering on line support for RMC/RTM that wish to self manage.

And finally thanks to eagle2 for the contribution he has made in the past to my posts.

Comment

I respect your post, and your comment to me to 'move on' I do understand. But, LEASE have had to get their act together since the Law Commission investigation in to the leasehold scandal and prove that they can look out for leaseholders,so,as a result of this their website has been renewed, and ,not cheaply by the looks of it, (tax Payers money funded). I'm sure most people in this conversation know that LEASE have acted on behalf of (given advice) and trained Landlord/freeholders to make as much money as they can from leaseholders...so, there is that...Certainly in my case I was given extremely bad advice which was examined whilst with me by Tan Dhesi MP and Clive Betts MP who both agreed, it sadly lacking. we will all have different experiences and these forums are a great way to air and discuss them, so now I have fully aired and explained, I will move on, now I have made that decision and you have not made it for me! Just saying!

Comment

The new Housing Secretary ( MHCLG) is Robert Jenrick , MP Newark who replaces James Brokenshire MP. .

Also Esther McVey iMP s appointed a Secretary of State in MHCLG, But I don't know if she is the Minister to replace Heather Wheeler MP and deal with leasehold reform and doubling of ground rents etc..

Comment

Boris has already been questioned today in Parliament by Sir Peter Bottomley, about leasehold reform. Boris responded by agreeing that he is aware of the situation and that "leaseholders are being cheated".

Yes..Yes.. I know..

Comment

Yes, I was watching TV Channel 232 ( Parliament) today and saw Borus say that leaseholders are being cheated.

I hope the Ministers Robert Jenrick and Esther McVey in MHCLG have noted this reply and introduce real changes including punishing the cheaters .

Comment

Originally posted by DCAAA View Post
                            I respect your post, and your comment to me to 'move on' I do understand. But, LEASE have had to get their act together since the Law Commission investigation in to the leasehold scandal and prove that they can look out for leaseholders,so,as a result of this their website has been renewed, and ,not cheaply by the looks of it, (tax Payers money funded). I'm sure most people in this conversation know that LEASE have acted on behalf of (given advice) and trained Landlord/freeholders to make as much money as they can from leaseholders...so, there is that...Certainly in my case I was given extremely bad advice which was examined whilst with me by Tan Dhesi MP and Clive Betts MP who both agreed, it sadly lacking. we will all have different experiences and these forums are a great way to air and discuss them, so now I have fully aired and explained, I will move on, now I have made that decision and you have not made it for me! Just saying!
                            They may have renewed their website at great (public) expense but sadly it still gives incorrect legal advice. For example it clearly states that a Landlord can apply to FTT for appointment of a manager. He can't.
                            useless bunch of t.......

Comment

Yes, I was watching TV Channel 232 ( Parliament) today and saw Borus say that leaseholders are being cheated.

I hope the Ministers Robert Jenrick and Esther McVey in MHCLG have noted this reply and introduce real changes including punishing the cheaters .
                              It seems the Daily Mirror calls Ester McVey is worrying choice .

"Esther McVey is back in government for the third time - as the Tories' ninth Housing Minister in nine years.

It's a job of grave seriousness, responsible for the re-cladding of hundreds of unsafe tower blocks in the wake of the Grenfell Tower fire.

So campaigners may be unnerved by the appointment of bullish Ms McVey - a true-blue Tory who's not exactly known for subtlety - to the sensitive role".

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...ecord-11831140

Comment

Esther McVey is a perfect choice, she was brave enough to stand up and then resign from the previous cabinet over the Brexit deal. I have every confidence in her to recognise and propose the changes which need to be made.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X