Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaseholder64
    replied
    There is no requirement for a solicitor to issue the notice. The relevant legislation is https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/70/section/3

Leave a comment:

• petworld123
    replied
    The flat is above an Indian takeaway.

Leave a comment:

• petworld123
    replied
    Ok thanks for you reply. Most helpful. But the freeholder is refusing to communicate with us. Does he require by law to give us formal notice that he is the new freeholder ? Im assuming formal means through a solicitor ? We have asked for his solicitors details but again no answer. As you can see he is being an absolute awkward so and so and making it be as difficult as possible to for us to sell.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    The only written contract that will exist will be between the previous own of the freehold and its current owner. You will not have had to enter a contract with the new freeholder, but they are required to have sent you formal notice that they are the new freeholder.

These are things that I would expect the solicitor to handle, not the estate agent.

Leave a comment:

• petworld123
    replied
    Thanks for the replies. The estate agent is asking for a written contract between the new freeholder and us, the leaseholder of the flat which we are trying to sell. Which includes ground rent etc. this is separate from the lease. Or are do they not know what they are on about ?? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    Who is the landlord referred to here?

You should be able to obtain copies of the various lease contracts from the Land Registry, for low double figures.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Won't your lease remain the same for the next 80 years? They don't get changed when a new freeholder buys.

Leave a comment:

• petworld123
    started a topic New landlord being awkward.

New landlord being awkward.

Hi
    We currently own a flat above a takeaway which we are trying to sell. There is a current 80 year lease on the flat. The previous owner of the shop downstairs sold it on last year. The new owner of the freehold is unwilling to give us a copy of the landlords lease and refusing to give his solicitors details. We still have the previous lease but the selling agent is asking for the new information which we are still trying to get off him. Is he breaking any law by not providing us with it ? Where do we go from here ? Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Converting front garden into a driveway.
    by ForumFirstTimer
    Hello,

I purchased my ground floor flat last year, its a converted house with 3 flats in. It has a small front garden which is 100% mine within the lease, but it is large enough that it would fit a car on it.

The 'Garden' right now it just patchy weeds.

My question...
    30-03-2020, 15:09 PM
  • Sole Director
    by Stacker
    Hope you are all healthy and safe!....our AOA state that a quorum is required. The sole director has appointed another director, without one shareholder knowing about the meeting my question is would the meeting have been quorate and could the company secretary act ( one they hire not a member) be part...
    29-03-2020, 10:41 AM
  • Reply to Sole Director
    by leaseholder64
    Most companies have an exemption from the need for a quorum when appointing directors and the normal expectation is that the remaining director would make the appointment. Your AoA may fail to provide for this case, but the company is behaving in way that would normally be expected in such cases.
    30-03-2020, 12:33 PM
  • Reply to Sole Director
    by Stacker
    Yes that's fine if you are a sole director with one member and the AOA state that quorum is NOT required however the
    AOA states directors, quorum required. Meaning plural, the sole director can not act on their own this is breach of fiduciary duty.

Also there are members so the director...
    30-03-2020, 12:13 PM
  • Reply to Sole Director
    by Stacker
    Thanks for that however I have just been trawling thro google and found that is not the case if the AOA states quorum required and mentions directors as in plural the sole director can not act for the company or the board as they are a sole director, so meeting needs to be quorate by bringing in a member...
    29-03-2020, 20:28 PM
  • Increased service charge when let/unoccupied
    by eshroom
    My mum has had her flat let out for some time, it is currently unoccupied and given COVID shall remain so for a few months.

The service charge was £20 per month more for her as it was rented. She wasn't happy but went along with it. She asked to have it dropped now that it is not rented...
    27-03-2020, 10:42 AM
  • Reply to Increased service charge when let/unoccupied
    by leaseholder64
    Leases often have clauses about not causing additional expenditure, particularly for insurance, so it might be possible to charge as administration charges, as well.
    29-03-2020, 11:23 AM
  • Reply to Sole Director
    by leaseholder64
    Most AoA allow a sole director to appoint other directors, even though otherwise inquorate. Generally the only other thing they can do is call a general meeting.

The company secretary does not count towards the quorum.

Many RMCs operate without a quorum, even though the director...
    29-03-2020, 11:16 AM
  • Rent Act restricting ground rent
    by Section20z
    One of my ground rent leases has a mechanism for the rent to rise on any assignment "......provided that such rent shall never exceed the amount which would bring this lease within the provisions of the Rent Act 1968 or any Act amending or re-enacting the same"
    The rent should be £650pa...
    27-03-2020, 09:44 AM
  • Reply to Rent Act restricting ground rent
    by Section20z
    Thanks , that makes complete sense and clears up why they would not want a long lease to be covered by the Rent Act.

Of course the buyer was aware of the new rent and should have adjusted premium accordingly. The novel feature here is that the ground rent increases with any "difference"...
    29-03-2020, 08:31 AM
Working...
X